Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Suzuki D+7
Harris D+6
Caufield, Dach, Newhook, Struble, Xhekaj D+5
Guhle, Barron D+4
Slaf D+2

That s 2 of your top 4, 2 of your top 6D, 4 top 6 forwards supposedly on the team already.

Anderson, Monahan, Evans, Savard, Matheson are all experienced Nhler

How is this a team in their third rebuild year ? CHI is in the 2nd year of a rebuild, ANA has been rebuilding forever, same for BUF and OTT, where are the results ?

If anything it shows the supposed core they are building upon actually sucks.

Because they weren't rebuilding under Bergevin. Rebuilding teams don't let a U22 top 3 pick go on an offer sheet, trade those picks for Dvorak, sign Savard, Hoffman, etc.

They just chose not to trade every young player in the organization like Chicago did. That doesn't mean a rebuild was started earlier.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Because they weren't rebuilding under Bergevin. Rebuilding teams don't let a U22 top 3 pick go on an offer sheet, trade those picks for Dvorak, sign Savard, Hoffman, etc.

They just chose not to trade every young player in the organization like Chicago did. That doesn't mean a rebuild was started earlier.

If the core truly is Suzuki CC Dach Newhook Guhle Barron Slaf Reinbacher Hutson, it should be closer to contending than they are now.

• Haha
Reactions: Redux91 and ReHabs

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
If the core truly is Suzuki CC Dach Newhook Guhle Barron Slaf Reinbacher Hutson, it should be closer to contending than they are now.
It would be if Dach and Newhook weren't hurt. There would be 2 good lines so Suzuki's line would look better because they wouldn't have to do all the work. Habs would be in a playoff spot even though half the players you listed aren't NHL ready yet.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Close to contending after barely two seasons? How does that make any sense

This is a mistake some people do you don t look at the age from MTL players just take management word for granted. Is the window when Caufield is 30 to 35 after 5 other top 5 picks ?

Reactions: ReHabs

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It would be if Dach and Newhook weren't hurt. There would be 2 good lines so Suzuki's line would look better because they wouldn't have to do all the work. Habs would be in a playoff spot even though half the players you listed aren't NHL ready yet.

And defenseman take a lot longer to reach their peak.

And the rebuild is only 2 years in so there's plenty of other names to add to that core.

This is a mistake some people do you don t look at the age from MTL players just take management word for granted. Is the window when Caufield is 30 to 35 after 5 other top 5 picks ?

The Habs are the 2nd youngest team in the NHL. Try again.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
The Habs are the 2nd youngest team in the NHL. Try again.
so what again most of their core forwards are D+5 and more. CC is on pace for 20 goals, that s cute.

you could use this argument for the D core not for lack of goals, that s lack of talent.

I am a Dach fan since his draft, howver he is often injured right now we can t say for sure he ll a meaningful career

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
What the hell you talking about.

The current management initiated a rebuild and they aren’t even two seasons into what they started.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Your post would be reasonable if it came from three years in the future. By then, the old man of our core will be Suzuki at 27. Slafkovsky will be 22 and playing his 4th full season. Reinbacher and Hutson will be NHL sophomores. Dach will be 25 and very possibly a PPG #1C. And of course there will be a bunch of mystery players wearing Habs jerseys in three years who are currently on other teams or junior leagues.

It's wayyy too soon to be measuring today's roster as a contender. Look for progress from our future core, and good moves by HuGo to supplement it.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Y
Your post would be reasonable if it came from three years in the future. By then, the old man of our core will be Suzuki at 27. Slafkovsky will be 22 and playing his 4th full season. Reinbacher and Hutson will be NHL sophomores. Dach will be 25 and very possibly a PPG #1C. And of course there will be a bunch of mystery players wearing Habs jerseys in three years who are currently on other teams or junior leagues.

It's wayyy too soon to be measuring today's roster as a contender. Look for progress from our future core, and good moves by HuGo to supplement it.
You mean we should expect a playoff team only after five years of losing? When Suzuki and Dach are on the verge of UFA?

• Haha
Reactions: Redux91

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Yeah, just because we have a lot of young players doesn’t mean we’ve been actively rebuilding.

I don’t have any issue with people who say this is year 3, though for me, I consider this year 2. The Slaf year was more of a complete F*** UP or a F*** YOU by MB on the way out. We were supposed to be competitive (in the eyes of Bergy) that year but sucked becaus of the reasons you’ve stated plus losing Price, Weber and Danault in the same year.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
You mean we should expect a playoff team only after five years of losing? When Suzuki and Dach are on the verge of UFA?
I expect a playoff team when our top players and prospects are actually playing on the team. Reinbacher, Hutson, Mesar, Mailloux aren't even in the NHL yet. Dach – the Habs' best player, IMO – is out. Slafkovsky remains a big mystery box. And then there are the great trades we make for ______ and ______, not to mention surprising draft picks ______, ______, and ______ – coming in the next three years.

As for the UFA thing, Caufield and Suzuki are signed until 2031 and 2030 – a little further than 'on the verge'. That said, I'm not planning a parade. We've been overrating our prospects forever; I don't dismiss the possibility that this crop will fizzle into mediocrity like the previous 'Can't Miss!" names. But the people who follow these things closer than I do uniformly believe this group is really good, if not elite. I'll defer to their judgment for now, and I'll reserve my own judgment on Hughes based on how he fills in the blanks above.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Watch what you ask for

Ylonen will sit lol
You may be right. I don't know who else noticed but not long after Armia took the stupid penalty for ripping an opponents helmet off MSL gave Ylonen a shift in his place. Unfortunately they scored the go ahead goal against them. :help:

So in recent games Ylonen got one shift with Suzuki and Slaf and they scored. He then got one shift with Monahan and Gallagher and they got scored against.
I know where I'd try him again.

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Ylonen should be playing with Monahan at the very least.
Gally and Armia should be upstairs eating hot dogs.

We have two lines that can create some offense, and 2 lines that don't..............it showed last night as we entered the 3rd period with 7 shots on goal.
We did not deserve to win, but Armia's penalty was so stupid...........send him back to Laval and get Gally on Robidas Island...........................just hate to see both of those bums in the lineup........

I was once a fan of both players, but that ship has sailed...

Reactions: OldCraig71

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
What the hell you talking about.

The current management initiated a rebuild and they aren’t even two seasons into what they started.
Many posters are having a tough time, with having patience in a rebuild phase............it's hard I get it, but there is some progress being made..............the good part so far, we are a good 5 vs 5 team.

Once more talent hits the lineup, the PP and PK will have to get better.

Losing sucks guys............it just does...

Reactions: Andy and Runner77

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
If newhook wasn’t traded for a na 1st round pick. There would be no way he would get more ice time tha Ylonen. The favourites are obvious

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Many posters are having a tough time, with having patience in a rebuild phase............it's hard I get it, but there is some progress being made..............the good part so far, we are a good 5 vs 5 team.

Once more talent hits the lineup, the PP and PK will have to get better.

Losing sucks guys............it just does...

My issue is that I am not sure MTL has as much talent as some people here think.
Again some posters are asking us to treat Suzuki CC Dach Newhook as if they were in their D+2. Fact is that they are not, they are D+7 and 5 ! How much more development is there to their game ? Can Dach be healthy ?

Reactions: Runner77 and Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
My issue is that I am not sure MTL has as much talent as some people here think.
Again some posters are asking us to treat Suzuki CC Dach Newhook as if they were in their D+2. Fact is that they are not, they are D+7 and 5 ! How much more development is there to their game ? Can Dach be healthy ?
Habs do have alot of decent young players, nothing special however.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Gally and Armia should be upstairs eating hot dogs.

We have two lines that can create some offense, and 2 lines that don't..............it showed last night as we entered the 3rd period with 7 shots on goal.
We did not deserve to win, but Armia's penalty was so stupid...........send him back to Laval and get Gally on Robidas Island...........................just hate to see both of those bums in the lineup........

I was once a fan of both players, but that ship has sailed...
Our guys were not 100% and that was probably due to partying in Florida, the effort level was our worst of the season and that's saying something lol.

Reactions: Runner77

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
We have replaced Koivu and Plekanec with Suzuki and we replaced Pacioretty with Caufield, same tier of players and there is no superstar in sight. One difference this time around is our defense, we are well stocked with some promising players and hopefully, one or more of them can be moved for help on offence.

Reactions: Runner77 and Tyson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad