Confirmed Trade: [FLA/VAN] Olli Juolevi for Noah Juulsen and Juho Lammikko

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Wasnt that bad of a pick to take Juolevi 5th overall. I bet hes better at hockey than most of you :shakehead
Lol. I would hope that a #5 overall pick is better at hockey than every single board member here. Last time I checked no nhl players posted here regularly. Average age is likely 40+ on these boards, as most young people use Reddit and not internet boards anymore.

In fact, I'd hope that every single nhl draft pick is better then every single poster on this board. Hfboards is almost entirely a collection of middle aged men who spend too much time on the internet.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Lol. I would hope that a #5 overall pick is better at hockey than every single board member here. Last time I checked no nhl players posted here regularly. Average age is likely 40+ on these boards, as most young people use Reddit and not internet boards anymore.

In fact, I'd hope that every single nhl draft pick is better then every single poster on this board. Hfboards is almost entirely a collection of middle aged men who spend too much time on the internet.

Could be worse though.

giphy (2) (29).gif

giphy (29).gif

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
I think the problem more-so was that he never really seemed to improve after his draft year. I can't think of any area where he's made a meaningful improvement since being drafted. Like even his skating, which was a strength at the junior level, is a weakness at the NHL level. Seems like he just completely stagnated.
Juolevi has had:
-both knees operated
-back issues
-hip soreness as byproduct of the knee injury

All before he ever even made his NHL debut, how are you gonna improve if you spent first 4 years of your career rehabbing? This is why i don’t get the ”what a horrible pick” when the player was almost PPG in AHL in his only stint in any league where he was healthy. They’re scouts not future-tellers, how is anyone gonna predict injuries?

Reactions: CascadiaPuck

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Juolevi is a prospect I got completely wrong. I loved his stability, but as the game got faster it didn't seem to carry over, which I guess is the reason you need to pay more attention to the flawed but dynamic skills of guys like Chychrun and Sergachev. Especially when the guy with the lack of dynamic abilities only showed his stability on stacked team (the Finnish WJC team with Laine, Aho, Puljujarvi, Kapanen, Rantanen and Knights with Marner, Tkachuk and Dvorak).

He can read the NHL game at a fast enough rate, he just can't move quick enough. That's the thing holding him back. Hes a smart player even at the NHL level.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Players like Juolevi kill you. He breaks down easily and will, in the crunch, make the critical plays that cause defeat. Think Zito has done a good job in Florida and would love it if he had have come to Vancouver but can't understand what he sees here. Florida looks like a contender but you can't be that with weak players like Juolevi. Faster the Panthers realize that the better for them.
Florida got absolutely fleeced by this trade.

Wow the drama! lol

We gave up nothing for Juolevi, Juulsen just passed the waivers earlier and Lammikko was #7 on our center depth chart and is a nothing burger. Juolevi will be #7 for us and will be given a couple of chances to show what he's got. If he sucks, he'll be back on the waiver wire pronto. There is zero chance this backfires on anyone. Actually if Juolevi has any chance of turning it around Vancouver are the ones who would get fleeced here. I seriously doubt it but still.

Reactions: Desert Panther

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I think his agent might have asked benning for a move for a fresh start. I think Florida is a good spot. Right now they have 3 professional sports team ahead of the panthers so he can really play under the radar and not have to worry to much about the media going after him.

he’s not a terrible player. He sees the ice very well and he is fully aware. His offensive play is also solid as he is decent at getting shots at the net. His biggest weakness is strength and his skating which really held him back. This is probably his last chance at the nhl if he doesn’t succeed I see him heading for Europe.

NextGoalIsHuge

Nov 19, 2017
hey Florida fans! we meet again.

forget the winner/loser aspect of this deal. too low down both rosters to bother kvetching about.
Hope OJ finds inspiration and hones his game.

I don't know anything bout the dudes coming our way, but it gives us two new players to over-analyse. Thanks! We've run out of steam with Joulevi.

I wouldn't say we're deep on LD...lotsa question mark...but OJ is done here. Passed on the depth chart. /shrug. Not sure I'll bother memorizing the new guys' names yet lol. We'll see where this goes.

Happy huntin Panther-dudes.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Did he look better in preseason (if you caught any of it)? If Juulsen can at least be a serviceable and rugged RHD, we'd be happy if he could even pan out as a 2nd or 3rd pair guy in the NHL. Those traits you listed (physical, shot blocking, good on PK, big shot) sound great, and I would've taken him for Olli straight up.

I haven't seen him since he left the Habs. I would assume he needs a year or so in the AHL to find his game again, since he's barely played in the last 3 years. But give him time, it's a decent gamble as imo he can be a 5th/6th/7th D in the NHL but not until he gets his game back as not playing for so long and then trying to play at the highest level is not a good idea. The panthers kind of screwed him over last year, if Churla (former Habs director of scouting), didn't push him he could have spent all last year in Laval which even in a shortened season would have been good for him.

Reactions: PettersonHughes

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
He looked bad in preseason. The Panthers really wanted him to be the 7th D but didn't seize the opportunity. They liked Chase Priskie and Kevin Connauton more. Even Connauton is miles ahead of him right now. You'll like Lammikko though. Typical Finn grinder.

Oh man, wish Juulsen was better, though Juolevi's looked weak himself (plus have you seen his bag skate?). Thanks for the input on Lammikko.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I dont get why anyone is bashing Juolevi.

Anyone that is willing to plop himself down on the ice in the middle of practice is a man rocket.

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
Juolevi has had:
-both knees operated
-back issues
-hip soreness as byproduct of the knee injury

All before he ever even made his NHL debut, how are you gonna improve if you spent first 4 years of your career rehabbing? This is why i don’t get the ”what a horrible pick” when the player was almost PPG in AHL in his only stint in any league where he was healthy. They’re scouts not future-tellers, how is anyone gonna predict injuries?

Connor McDavid broke his collar bone. Then 2 years later, suffered a badly broken leg. But after recovering from these 2 serious injuries, McDavid hasn't missed a beat. In fact, he is better than ever.

So yes, injuries certainly didn't help Juolevi. HOWEVER, his injuries are not the beat all and end all excuse. If he was any good, he would have overcome these injuries and returned to his former self once healthy.

Instead, Juolevi was on stacked teams with great players in London and on the Finnish national team, making him look better than what he really was.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
I haven't seen him since he left the Habs. I would assume he needs a year or so in the AHL to find his game again, since he's barely played in the last 3 years. But give him time, it's a decent gamble as imo he can be a 5th/6th/7th D in the NHL but not until he gets his game back as not playing for so long and then trying to play at the highest level is not a good idea. The panthers kind of screwed him over last year, if Churla (former Habs director of scouting), didn't push him he could have spent all last year in Laval which even in a shortened season would have been good for him.
I think his first couple of games for FL were decent, then he missed time with an injury (don’t remember what it was), and that was kind of it. Never looked very good in the few chances he got afterwards. And he spent a lot of time on taxi squad, so he wasn’t getting AHL minutes, either. He needs to go play in the A and see what he can do.

Reactions: montreal

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
Canucks nation hates Benning cause he’s only hit on 4 out of 6 first round picks, while his predecessors only got 2 bona fide NHL players out of the previous 10 first rounders.

Between 2011 and 2016, the Winnipeg Jets went 8 for 8 in first-round draft picks. So if they could do it.

Also, a 6th overall pick (Virtanen) and a 5th overall pick (Juolevi) should almost guarantee at least a regular NHL contributor. It usually does. So for Jim Benning to blow it like this twice in a three-year span is definitely worthy of criticism. Especially the Joulevi 5th overall pick. Even though Virtanen is a bust, Juolevi is twice as bad a bust as Virtanen.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Connor McDavid broke his collar bone. Then 2 years later, suffered a badly broken leg. But after recovering from these 2 serious injuries, McDavid hasn't missed a beat. In fact, he is better than ever.

So yes, injuries certainly didn't help Juolevi. HOWEVER, his injuries are not the beat all and end all excuse. If he was any good, he would have overcome these injuries and returned to his former self once healthy.

Instead, Juolevi was on stacked teams with great players in London and on the Finnish national team, making him look better than what he really was.
That’s a weird comparison, Juolevi basically couldn’t skate at all for almost 4 years in crucial development stage, McDavid had a upper body injury and two years of being healthy and a leg injury he decided not to operate? Hardly comparable, and neither are McDavid or Juolevi.

Secondly, there are literally hundreds if not thousands of players who never recover back to normal from injuries, you can have all the talent in the world and it’s no use if your body breaks down from injuries.

” If he was any good, he would have overcome these injuries and returned to his former self once healthy.”

That’s just plain stupid, c’mon now.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Gillis also had the benefit of Burke/Nonis drafting high for many many years stockpiling the cupboards. Gillis also left Benning with some brutal anchor contracts coupled with Aquillini still refusing to realise a rebuild was needed. Not defending Benning, I have wanted him gone for about 3 years now and can't wait for a new GM to be put in place but can't really compare a team that had been slowly built and in a competitive window vs a team thats was clearly at the end of its time but all those great deal contracts with NTC really screwed the team.

What brutal contracts? Gillis regularly signed great contracts and any contracts Benning was anchored with, is nothing compared to the constant garbage contracts he has signed players to. Gillis put the team together, pretty much every single team ever has had some good to great pieces, the hard part is getting the players that fit when you have to make them better. The team did great pro level evaluations and contracts IMO. Benning is nothing more then hot garbage and a tire fire. I can’t wait for him to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad