Confirmed Trade: [FLA/VAN] Olli Juolevi for Noah Juulsen and Juho Lammikko

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
I’m guessing it’s not actually an injury tbh and they’re more just trying to rebound him…

I think they are playing the system so they don't have to put him on waivers as he would get claimed...He was healthy at Canucks camp and pre season, thought I read the panthers listed this as long haul covid symptoms related. Which if true just shows what idiots run the Canucks medical staff

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
He looked good tonight although seems gassed after every shift. Also some sloppy passing at times. The big question is if he can stay healthy.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Fans always mention that Tkachuk was available, but if the Canucks were determined to pick a defender, Chychrun was the highest ranked Dman in the draft that year and was also available...

Tkachuk was ranked higher than every one of the top ranked D in every single ranking except 2 - Draft Analyst and Hockey Prospectus. Both Chychrun. The D were all over the place. Tkachuk was the near unanimous BPA, and certainly the consensus BPA. That's why people focus on Tkachuk.

2016 NHL Draft Rankings

Reactions: BimJenning

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The D rankings were scattered based on the source.

Button’s top D were:
sergachev, Juolevi, Bean, McAvoy, Fabbro, Chychrun in that order.

I’m sure others would have it differently.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Juolevi has looked better and better each game.
There's no question that he's NHL caliber, and he can play on both ends of the ice. Could very easily see him developing into a top 4 guy, but for now he's doing a great job as a bottom pair D.
Panthers became a powerhouse and have elite D due to Canucka giving up the likes of Forsling and Juolevi:laugh:

Reactions: Gecklund

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Lammikko is a 12th/13th forward. Definitely wouldn't call him a great 4th liner.

I think Juolevi can develop into a #4 or #5 D.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He always has had cardio issues. Hope he stays healthy but I doubt it. Man is made of glass unfortunately

Yeah. That's been an ongoing constant through his entire tenure as a Canucks prospect at least. Its hard to dissect exactly how much of that is related to the awful stop/start nature of his progression with injuries putting him on the shelf, unable to train for extended periods...vs how much of that is just an inherent issue with the player and his commitment to fitness. I'm sure in reality, it's a little bit of both. But it does feel like his style of play and vision on the ice allowed him to get by without really expending a lot of effort at lower levels...and that mentality has carried through to higher levels, where he can't get by with quite the same level of low-effort efficiency. It was one of the more striking things about him at the Junior level, that "plays the game in a rocking chair" sort of level of efficiency and poise. But that seems to have turned out to be a little bit of a double-edged sword when trying to translate his game to the next level.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
When the Levi breaks...

I have nothing to say, this is just one of my favorite songs and I'm not going to not post Led Zeppelin vids when given any reason.

But I guess it seems cool the trade is working out. Good job, teams.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Juolevi is not exactly a prize. Will be lucky to see 200 games before heading back to Europe.
Dunno. The way he’s playing, looks like he could have a career. Nothing fancy but he has upside.
By the way people are talking about Lammikko as an uneventful 12th/13th forward, I’m starting to think this is a Vancouver problem, not a Lammikko and Juolevi problem. I mean don’t get me wrong, Lammikko is an uneventful 12th/13th forward. But he looked good, probably because his team was winning and he was a part of that. Can probably say the same for Juolevi right now. He’s playing with players that make his talents more present.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Dunno. The way he’s playing, looks like he could have a career. Nothing fancy but he has upside.
By the way people are talking about Lammikko as an uneventful 12th/13th forward, I’m starting to think this is a Vancouver problem, not a Lammikko and Juolevi problem. I mean don’t get me wrong, Lammikko is an uneventful 12th/13th forward. But he looked good, probably because his team was winning and he was a part of that. Can probably say the same for Juolevi right now. He’s playing with players that make his talents more present.

I mean...that was the strength Juolevi was drafted so high on.

He was the back end of both that London Knights powerhouse, and that Finland WJC team that let him just facilitate offense for some extremely talented forward groups. And that's really where his strengths lie...He moves the puck really well.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Two pretty meh players tbh.
Juolevi may be able to tread water on a top team like Florida for a while as a bottom pairing D but I don’t see any real upside. Defensively he’s just too weak.
At going on 24 years he pretty much is what he is.
It would be interesting to see what he could have become had he not lost so much of his mobility through injuries.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
I mean...that was the strength Juolevi was drafted so high on.

He was the back end of both that London Knights powerhouse, and that Finland WJC team that let him just facilitate offense for some extremely talented forward groups. And that's really where his strengths lie...He moves the puck really well.
If that’s the case, then I would say he’s doing quite well in Florida so far. Still very early.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00