Confirmed Trade: [FLA/SJS]Mike Hoffman. 7th ('18) for 2nd ('19), 4th ('18) & 5th ('18)

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Don't be obtuse.. this has nothing to do with running the team and you know it. There are expectations that the WAGS will participate in various things together as well as team events, use of a shared suite to viewing etc.

I mean if your wife and the neighbors wife are having issues, the neighborhood barbeques are going to be a bit awkward.
Whose being obtuse? Players girlfriends and wives drove Hoffman out of Ottawa for a pile of nothing with gossip, management make accommodations... rename the team the white knights for falling on their sword.

Reactions: Lilou

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
I think all 3 teams got what they wanted out of the deal.

Good asset management by the Sharks, freeing cap space from within a deep group of bottom-9 forwards, and acquiring picks leading into draft day. I would have liked to have seen Hoffman in teal, but the package of Hoffman+GF apparently wasn't to Wilson's liking. I can understand that reasoning.

Florida adds a proven scoring winger, without surrendering any roster player. They now have a quite impressive top-9.

Ottawa wanted a roster player, and probably got as much as they could for a tainted asset who every GM in the league knew had to be moved. I think most teams prefer not to trade within their conference, let alone their division, so I don't know why Dorion is getting so much flak for that. He had no problem bringing in Dion from the Leafs. His mistake here was not adding a "must not retrade to the Atlantic" condition. He can hardly blame another GM for doing what he thinks best for his team by flipping Hoffman.

Last edited:

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Unreal. I feel bad for Sens fans today. Their management team passed Jim Benning and the Canucks as the worst run team in the league.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
My guess is that Florida didnt want to trade Hoffman within the division so they wouldn't see him as much.....

Sherwood71

Jul 18, 2016
Does someone mind explaining how these trades were a landslide/fleecing for any involved team.

SJS got Hoffman, Donaghy, and a 5th ('20) for Boedker, Bergman, 6th ('20).

From what I understand, the Donaghy and Bergman are moot because they are both marginal assets at best. San Jose essentially turned Boedker into Hoffman and moved up a round in the middle of the '20 draft. Prior to all the drama, I would have said Hoffman was worth a mid to late first and a prospect. Obviously, the drama diminished his value and Ottawa had to get rid of him to save face so they weren't going to get great value for him anyways. Ottawa was bound to get an underwhelming return because of Hoffman's fiance, not necessarily because of a fleecing by another GM.

SJS then got a 2nd ('19), 4th ('18), and a 5th ('18) for Hoffman and a 7th ('18)

Hoffman got an underwhelming return again because of the drama. SJS essentially got a 2nd ('19), 4th ('18), 5th ('18), 5th ('20), and got Donaghy for Boedker, Bergman, 6th ('20), 7th('18). Personally, I think Boedker is still serviceable and isn't completely worthless. He may be overpaid but he will still be a solid middle 6 option. I wouldn't think its outlandish to say Boedker and Bergman are worth a 2nd and 4th. So they essentially got a 5th, Donaghy, and upgraded their '20 pick for free. Free assets are always nice, but it wasn't a haul or huge net. GMDW also freed up cap space which is nice for a tantalizing free agency (if no further news surfaces before the start) and to resign players. That also depends on the worthwhile free agents like Tavares actually choosing SJS over every other team who will be giving him pitches as well, and no one knows how likely Tavares is to actually sign with SJS.

Overall, SJS got 2 mid-round picks, a likely nobody, and cap space (probably the most valuable) for free which is nice and savvy, but certainly not a fleecing or bending over in itself. I think SJS should have kept Hoffman since that would have been a great addition, but if the locker room concerns were too much of a concern, they got a decent return.
Ottawa got screwed because of the drama surrounding Hoffman, but got something workable and saved face.
Florida got a really solid top 6 winger for relatively nothing.

The only part where I see SJS bending over Ottawa is when SJS turned around a flipped him back into the Atlantic Division where Ottawa has to deal with him more often than if he stayed with SJS. This was also after Ottawa decided not to trade within the division because the return on Hoffman was not worth the trouble. SJS and the Panthers definitely got good value, and Ottawa got poor value because of the drama and accusations but I definitely wouldn't say that any of the teams won or lost the trade in a landslide.

EDIT: Just saw now, but also SJS traded Hoffman back to the Atlantic Division when Ottawa was heavily trying to avoid him staying in the division regardless of the return as per the owner. Again, mostly seems like GMDW just screwed Ottawa more than fleecing them in a trade.

Last edited:

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Lol sharks have just been blacklisted by Ottawa for the next couple of years. Hilarious!!!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Why is getting a roster player important for Ottawa just before free agency when they can get a warm body for free, or trade for a cheap player in a different trade? It's not like Ottawa is exactly in "contender mode" right now and needs a talented player to replace Hoffman. If they wanted the best chance at re-signing the best player in the NHL they could have cleared all of Hoffman's cap hit instead of a little over a million of it. Did they need a roster player that was getting paid 3-4 million?

We already were one of the least attractive destinations for free agents before all this mess with Melnyk and Hoffman.

I very much doubt we could have signed someone as "good" as Boedker to a two year 6 million dollar contract this summer. We saved money on the deal. It sucks that that is an objective for us but that is the reality we live in as Sens fans.

This also shows Karlsson we are not rebuilding. He won't want to stay if we rebuild. If we trade Hoffman to Florida for the return San Jose got, that means we are rebuilding.

I am not saying this is great by any stretch of the imagination. We lost a lot of goals and didn't get much in return. But considering the team's situation and Hoffman's value, this is not awful.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
True. Re-signing Crosby/Ovechkin/McDavid is a huge part of this trade.

Jokes aside though it's hard to say Ottawa got the better of these deal when looking aside San Jose. You're saying this trade is tilted because Ottawa now is in better shape to sign Karlsson. Okay great, but San Jose is now in MUCH better shape to take a good run at John Tavares who they are linked to... AND they have a second round pick. So yeah, resigning EK65 MIGHT make Ottawa a playoff team, maybe.

John Tavares makes the SJ Sharks a stanley cup contender on paper.

I understand where you're coming from, I just don't agree. SJ > Ottawa here, Florida makes out pretty well too.

We lost the most, no doubt about it.

But if we re-sign Karlsson, It's worth it. Karlsson was not staying with Hoffman on the roster.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
If you don't want to click the link, it's reported that Eugene Melnyk made this demand.

I think it's really great that an experienced, knowledgeable hockey mind like Eugeny Melnyk is calling the shots in Ottawa, barking down orders to his GM.

Such a great system he's running over there. Things are going well.

:)

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
I don't understand how getting at least one hockey player in return for Hoffman is worse than a couple magic beans. This board is unreal.

Is Boedker really better than players Sens already have in their system who won’t be on our roster this year?

If not, he has literall zero value and therefore yes the picks are better.

Jan 21, 2018
We lost the most, no doubt about it.

But if we re-sign Karlsson, It's worth it. Karlsson was not staying with Hoffman on the roster.

lol it's pretty sad to see you try and grasp any little thing to make it seem like the Sens didn't get absolutely demolished in the past 24 hours.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Somehow I think Wilson burned a bridge or two with Dorion today...
Idk what would make you think that. Dorion likely knew Wilson was not keeping Hoffman - GMs talk just like business folk do, they dont lie and keep secrets during deals because its extremely bad faith and would likely cause an ousting among GMs.

If Wilson did a dick move he may pay heavily for it - but I gander Dorion wanted a roster player (Boedker) and knew about the Florida trade

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
Let's give credit to DW, dude's been one of, if not the top GMs in the league for years now

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I don't understand how getting at least one hockey player in return for Hoffman is worse than a couple magic beans. This board is unreal.

I’ll give you one hockey player in Paul Martin for those magic beans you’ve got at #4 overall. How does that sound?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad