Confirmed Trade: [FLA/SJS]Mike Hoffman. 7th ('18) for 2nd ('19), 4th ('18) & 5th ('18)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Sharks:

In:

2nd, 4th, 5th, 5th, Cody Donaghey

Out:

Mikkel Boedker, Julius Bergman, 6th, 7th

Here I thought that Boedker was just a cap dump... Seems like Ottawa didn't do great here.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Unreal. I feel bad for Sens fans today. Their management team passed Jim Benning and the Canucks as the worst run team in the league.
5 of the 7 Canadian market GM's are terrible it's actually alarming how bad they are. Benning can't do a proper rebuild or sign adequate valued contracts. Bergevin and Chia make brutal hockey trades. Treliving loves to bleed draft picks and Dorion's last 2 trades have been atrocious. I'll have to wait on Dubas making moves, specifically the Marner, Matthews and Nylander extensions to have a read on him. Who would have thought that Chevy, for all the flack he used to get for being too passive is by far the best Canadian market GM.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Question to Ottawa fans: How optimistic are you about Karlsson staying? Or is he as good as gone, regardless of this move?

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I think this website is really overrating the value/impact of a 2nd+4th+5th. There’s a really good chance none of those become NHL players.
Plus 4 million in cap and 6 million in money. All for a player they wanted to dump (Boedker) and a defenseman that didn't have a shot to make the team anytime soon (Bergman).

It's clear SJ is going to be a player this offseason and this gives them flexibility and a few tradable assets.

Reactions: JBeast

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Not sure if this has been discussed but Darren Millard was on Tim and Sid about an hour ago and mentioned the fact that Ottawa comes away from these trades in the 4th best shape out of the 3 teams involved.

1. San Jose: Got paid to get rid of a cap dump and opened up cap space for a big UFA (Tavares?)
2. Florida: Picked up a 20-30 goal scorer on the cheap
3. Colorado: Likely going to get the 4th overall pick on Friday (unless Ottawa loses their minds and keeps it).
4. Ottawa: They Ottawa'd

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Don't be obtuse.. this has nothing to do with running the team and you know it. There are expectations that the WAGS will participate in various things together as well as team events, use of a shared suite to viewing etc.

I mean if your wife and the neighbors wife are having issues, the neighborhood barbeques are going to be a bit awkward.

Doesn't mean you can't do your job.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Doesn't mean you can't do your job.

Of course you can do their jobs- but if there is tension/friction between players it creates a bad atmosphere- lack of good chemistry if you will. As I said before - teams are perfectly willing to sign guys that are barely NHLers purely because they are "good in the room". What does that say about how much they value team cohesion and what lengths they will go to to maintain that?

The trade value of Hoffman alone tells you what GM's think about players that bring potential dissension. They're not entirely writing him off since he can score, buut they're also not willing to pay a ton in case they need to dump him later.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
We already were one of the least attractive destinations for free agents before all this mess with Melnyk and Hoffman.

I very much doubt we could have signed someone as "good" as Boedker to a two year 6 million dollar contract this summer.

Thats a good point. While Ottawa did lose value-wise by a mile, this might have been the best scenario for them. Personally I would have taken the picks, traded EK to and do a full rebuild, but if they are trying to keep him I can see the idea behind it

Also interesting commentary on Hoffman's value. The fact fla had to go thru SJ to "facilitate" this probably cost them a little extra in theory (b/c SJ would have a negotiating chip in that Florida couldn't have gotten him straight from OTT), so Hoffman's value was pretty low around the league...

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
Have to think DW is pretty optimistic on his chances to get Tavares. Swapping Boedker for Hoffman was already a nice improvement but apparently he thinks he will improve the team more with the cap space. It's quite the commitment because Hoffman would have been a pretty sweet pick up.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Have to think DW is pretty optimistic on his chances to get Tavares. Swapping Boedker for Hoffman was already a nice improvement but apparently he thinks he will improve the team more with the cap space. It's quite the commitment because Hoffman would have been a pretty sweet pick up.
Besides fa this gives Wilson more flexibility for Friday and Saturday at the draft.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
5 of the 7 Canadian market GM's are terrible it's actually alarming how bad they are. Benning can't do a proper rebuild or sign adequate valued contracts. Bergevin and Chia make brutal hockey trades. Treliving loves to bleed draft picks and Dorion's last 2 trades have been atrocious. I'll have to wait on Dubas making moves, specifically the Marner, Matthews and Nylander extensions to have a read on him. Who would have thought that Chevy, for all the flack he used to get for being too passive is by far the best Canadian market GM.
The only thing I am happy with Benning is his drafting has been pretty good minus his first draft (I think he went mostly with what previous scouts suggested) and finally Aquaman has insisted that we don't have to compete for the playoffs finally (because bowing down to the Sedins and trying to give them playoff shots really screwed us the last few years). But overall, outside of the previous 3 drafts its been very meh and disappointing from a Canucks perspective.

Funny how Chevy tune has changed, for years all I heard was Winnipeg fans screaming for his head and to dump him, etc. but he was paitient and has finally reeped his rewards.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Thats a good point. While Ottawa did lose value-wise by a mile, this might have been the best scenario for them. Personally I would have taken the picks, traded EK to and do a full rebuild, but if they are trying to keep him I can see the idea behind it

Also interesting commentary on Hoffman's value. The fact fla had to go thru SJ to "facilitate" this probably cost them a little extra in theory (b/c SJ would have a negotiating chip in that Florida couldn't have gotten him straight from OTT), so Hoffman's value was pretty low around the league...

I think people mistake my pointing out of avenues where the Senators didn't get completely shafted as me saying it is a good trade.

It isn't.

But considering everything, it isn't terrible either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad