Confirmed Trade: [FLA/PIT] Bjugstad & McCann for Brassard, Sheahan, 2nd 2019, 4th 2019, 4th 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
He has been good for two years since his back and head injuries. Stats back up eye test. Been good defensively rly for two years. The points weren’t
There this year like last but consistently makes the correct play and plays in opposition end. Consistently gets the puck to the net. He is a good player

Thanks for the fair assessment of Bjugstad.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Another liability off from the team and immediately the white wash begins. I'll be sure to read some of your finest on the Pens' board about Bjugs after the reality has set in over in Pitt. Any new comments on the Canucks board about how the Nucks' fans are too emotional and biased and how they can't see the brilliance of Gudbransson? How good he's defensively but the negative +/- is just bad luck?

He literally can't be worse than Brassard was.

And nobody cares about Gudbranson in here man.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
No it's not, I love Cullen and he had a nice game last night but by any measure he's been caved in this season.

A 4th liner with a 28 point pace and a positive goal differential despite getting 13.53% offensive zone starts and often seeing the opposition best is not barely hanging on, no matter what the possession stats say. Of course his possession stats are bad; he's on a team that has bad possession stats in general and is playing in an incredibly hard role. When he's leading his line to success despite that role - and also is a key part of one of the league's best PKs - he's not barely hanging on. Quite the opposite.

This is just an incredibly bad take.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Another liability off from the team and immediately the white wash begins. I'll be sure to read some of your finest on the Pens' board about Bjugs after the reality has set in over in Pitt. Any new comments on the Canucks board about how the Nucks' fans are too emotional and biased and how they can't see the brilliance of Gudbransson? How good he's defensively but the negative +/- is just bad luck?

Gudbranson has always had terrible numbers. Bjugstad has been a positive player for the Panthers in almost every metric for 3 years but is apparently useless.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I always love seeing this statement. It really shows how dumb they are and how much salt they have.

If the Pens were really gifted the talents, they should’ve been gifted the first pick to take Ovechkin over Malkin. The Pens had the worst record that year so no one would’ve thought otherwise if we won the lottery that year.

Before you cry about Crosby, the league would have incentive to do what’s best for the league over a team. Gifting Crosby to the Rangers, Kings, or Maple Leafs would have given the league 100x more exposure and ROI on marketing/money.
I wish I could travel back in time and see Ovy picked by Pens, then come back to Feb 2 2019 and see what happens and if we get more cups and a better team? but if we have 0 cups I would say "screw this" and go back to the Geno picked Pens.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Lol. You’ve clearly never watched Bjugstad play, just doing some stat watching.

There’s a reason he’s called Bjuseless

I have watched Bjustad play. And look he gets traded to a good team and the points are already coming.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Pathetic attempt to insult another team. At least know something about the players, and what was going on with their situations in Florida, before making crap comments.

I am sorry I didn't give Edmonton enough credit. But seriously the management is terrible. In 2 years you've now lost 4 quality forwards, for essentially nothing, patched the goaltending, and built a pretty mediocre d corps. The Panthers strength was/is up the middle. But now they aren't as strong, and the holes are still there. That's my critique of your management.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Gudbranson has always had terrible numbers. Bjugstad has been a positive player for the Panthers in almost every metric for 3 years but is apparently useless.

Brassard has been not only a positive player for the Sens and Rags but a difference maker as well... but apparently useless. Am I getting it right in the no-spin zone?

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Wait, how are people saying this is a bad deal for the Penguins? That's a fantastic return for them, Bjugstad and McCann for that package is fantastic.
Just picking this post from the many.

Maybe some people can explain to me why down grading at C and a slight up grade on the McCann over Sheehan is a good idea for the PENS.

Florida seems to be out of patience waiting for Bjugstad to reach his potential. All the injuries also don't help.

never mind the draft picks.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just picking this post from the many.

Maybe some people can explain to me why down grading at C and a slight up grade on the McCann over Sheehan is a good idea for the PENS.

Florida seems to be out of patience waiting for Bjugstad to reach his potential. All the injuries also don't help.

never mind the draft picks.

The Penguins didn't downgrade by going from Brassard to Bjugstad, and McCann is also a clear upgrade on Sheahan too. The Penguins upgraded now and added the picks because the guys they got were younger and cost controlled.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
I really don't think a fan of a team who has relocated should be taking shots at any other team :laugh:

Well if NHL did what they did to Pittsburg 2005 back in the middle of the 90ts, Jets would never moved, but they did not, so what can I say =)

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
The Penguins didn't downgrade by going from Brassard to Bjugstad, and McCann is also a clear upgrade on Sheahan too. The Penguins upgraded now and added the picks because the guys they got were younger and cost controlled.
I will start by ignoring the vocal group of Pens fans who are convinced Brassard is worth at least a 1st round pick value wise.

C for C you get back a guy who is the same point production pace wise this year. But you also take some risk with the injury history. I'm not sure it's a good thing Bjugstad is cost controlled when the 30 point pace he is on isn't really worth 4.1 once again even more risk with his injury history. Overall I think at best the PENS got even value.

The Teletubby for McCann I think does help. Not sure what went through Rutherfords mind when he got him in the first place. Is that balance with the picks? I don't feel like it does.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I think a lot of this bad blood with Bjugstad is the high expectations of a guy they wanted to be a 60+ point player and that the Panthers protected him over two really good players that went to the Knights. After Bjugstad 2014-15 season when he was the Panthers leading goal scorer and 3rd in points and 2nd in PPG at 22 Panthers fans thought they had a future 30 goal and 60 point guy.

Pens will be happy with a 40+ point player and most of his career he has averaged 40+ points on an 82 game played average. So while he may get injured some Pens have Center depth to fill in if it happens. Pens looking for a good 3C and I think the chances are good Bjugstad is going to meet or exceed expectations.

Bjugstad looked really good last night and it is obvious by just seeing that game he has very good skills. His chemistry with Kessel and Rust last night was amazing and they looked like Pens best line. Only one game but the skill is their and he has played at the level we are looking for most of his career and he is in his prime at 26.

McCann is only 22 and has a mid 30’s points per 82 over his past two seasons so I will take that as our 4C this year and next. If McCann never developed further he still would be perfect for the Pens and a team 22 he most likely has some growth.

So Pens get at worst two 3C’s to play 3C and 4C for the next 3 playoffs for 2 rentals and a couple lottery tickets that even if one hits the player would be lucky to be as good as Bjugstad or McCann 4 years from now.

People are saying Ferland as a rental is going to cost a 1st round pick and a good prospect. I hate rentals and giving up those kinds of assets. We have 2 players added that will be on our team for the rest of our Cup window and we keep our 1st for the moment and also our few good prospects we have. I am ecstatic about this deal. Better than any scenario I imagined before the deal. All the talks had been rentals to the Pens and I should of known that Rutherford would not do that because he likes the exact deal we just made. Find players playing poorly and buy low on them like Schultz, Daley, and Hagelin during our first Cup run of the back to backs and Pearson and Bjugstad this season. Love this deal.

I used to be a huge Bjugstad fan. It just seems all the hits to the head changed him as a player. His hockey IQ has to be one of the worst I've seen (recent years) at times I think it comes down to confidence that he makes those bone headed decisions. We'll see if that is the case now that he gets to play in Purg

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
The Pens traded Rob Scuderi for Daley dude..... Obviously the Blackhawks didn't think Daley was any good. Hags was at an all-time low in value as well, mostly due to contract. Quite a memory you have sir.
To be fair trading with Stan Bowman is about the same as trading with Chiarelli.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I will start by ignoring the vocal group of Pens fans who are convinced Brassard is worth at least a 1st round pick value wise.

C for C you get back a guy who is the same point production pace wise this year. But you also take some risk with the injury history. I'm not sure it's a good thing Bjugstad is cost controlled when the 30 point pace he is on isn't really worth 4.1 once again even more risk with his injury history. Overall I think at best the PENS got even value.

The Teletubby for McCann I think does help. Not sure what went through Rutherfords mind when he got him in the first place. Is that balance with the picks? I don't feel like it does.

Maybe you should recheck Brassard and Bjugstad’s paces this year. Also add in the fact Brassard’s most common line mate was Phil Kessel.

Last edited:

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I am sorry I didn't give Edmonton enough credit. But seriously the management is terrible. In 2 years you've now lost 4 quality forwards, for essentially nothing, patched the goaltending, and built a pretty mediocre d corps. The Panthers strength was/is up the middle. But now they aren't as strong, and the holes are still there. That's my critique of your management.

1. They screwed up the expansion draft, but Tallon made up for it afterwards. Hoffman and Dadonov are better than Smith and Marchy.

2. How are the Panthers not strong up the middle? Bjugstad hasn’t played center for us in a long time. They now have their best prospect centering the 3rd line. I’d say Barkov, Trocheck, Borgstrom, And Lammikko down the center for the foreseeable future is quite strong.

3. Where did we lose 4 quality forwards? Bjugstad was a waste for us on the 3rd line, and McCann wasn’t anything special on the 4th line. The Panthers rid themselves of their contracts, which allows them to be major players over the summer. If you tho k that amazement is terrible, then I’m afraid to see what you think great amangement is. And btw, Tallon wasn’t in charge for some of the mistakes that were made a couple of years ago.

Reactions: Kid Icarus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad