Confirmed Trade: [FLA/PIT] Bjugstad & McCann for Brassard, Sheahan, 2nd 2019, 4th 2019, 4th 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Hopefully that works out for you guys

Don’t really care if it doesn’t, Bjugstad was the most frustrating player to watch day in and day out. Moved 4+ off the books to do many things with.

As I’ve said, nothing against him, best of luck and I’d smile watching him life the Cup if he gets to up there, just didn’t want him on the team anymore.

Reactions: Kid Icarus

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Florida is by far the worst run team in hockey. Pittsburgh just got a real #3 centre and more size up front for scraps. Did the Panthers get a cash payment at least? I mean they will get a 2nd back for Brassard. I have to think they are just clearing cap space for a run at some stars in the offseason.

Lol. You’ve clearly never watched Bjugstad play, just doing some stat watching.

There’s a reason he’s called Bjuseless

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Pretty much this.

Alternate take:

- The Pens move their two most underperforming forwards this season and pick up two forwards with potential/history that suggests they could spark with a change of scenery. If just one of Bjugstad/McCann does that while the other plays at replacement level, the Pens are a better team this season.

- The Pens have taken two expiring assets and replaced them with two assets with term without having to pay UFA prices, give up long term playing assets, or use our 1st. We'd need to pay about this level of salary to someone to do the jobs Bjugstad/McCann will do next season regardless; we could have paid a lot more or acquired a lot less while doing so.

Pittsburgh's cap situation next season with the Guentzel extension kicking in is very tight, to say the least. How do they plan to deal with this?

Trade a winger or dman for futures.

ZAR - 50/50 if he will be retained or not. And if they do resign him he wont be having the money truck backing up to his bank for his signing.

I'd be quite quite surprised if ZAR isn't here next season.

I'd also welcome back Cullen if he wanted one more year of doing his thing again. Still the best 4C in the league.

edit: p.s. I like the intent behind this from the Panthers. Smart move to tool up and grab some real game changing quality and I hope it plays out for them.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
It's kinda cool that the Pens got their 3rd line center for now and in the future in the same trade.

Just as they got their top six winger when they acquired Pearson. :thumbu:

As I said earlier McCann may turn into a decent bottom pairing center and is not overpaid, so there is some value in that for sure. Bjugstad was a salary dump, just as Pearson was, and I have no idea why the Pens would even want him, Pearson at least has playoff experience.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Never scored 50 points. Over 40 two times

I think a lot of this bad blood with Bjugstad is the high expectations of a guy they wanted to be a 60+ point player and that the Panthers protected him over two really good players that went to the Knights. After Bjugstad 2014-15 season when he was the Panthers leading goal scorer and 3rd in points and 2nd in PPG at 22 Panthers fans thought they had a future 30 goal and 60 point guy.

Pens will be happy with a 40+ point player and most of his career he has averaged 40+ points on an 82 game played average. So while he may get injured some Pens have Center depth to fill in if it happens. Pens looking for a good 3C and I think the chances are good Bjugstad is going to meet or exceed expectations.

Bjugstad looked really good last night and it is obvious by just seeing that game he has very good skills. His chemistry with Kessel and Rust last night was amazing and they looked like Pens best line. Only one game but the skill is their and he has played at the level we are looking for most of his career and he is in his prime at 26.

McCann is only 22 and has a mid 30’s points per 82 over his past two seasons so I will take that as our 4C this year and next. If McCann never developed further he still would be perfect for the Pens and a team 22 he most likely has some growth.

So Pens get at worst two 3C’s to play 3C and 4C for the next 3 playoffs for 2 rentals and a couple lottery tickets that even if one hits the player would be lucky to be as good as Bjugstad or McCann 4 years from now.

People are saying Ferland as a rental is going to cost a 1st round pick and a good prospect. I hate rentals and giving up those kinds of assets. We have 2 players added that will be on our team for the rest of our Cup window and we keep our 1st for the moment and also our few good prospects we have. I am ecstatic about this deal. Better than any scenario I imagined before the deal. All the talks had been rentals to the Pens and I should of known that Rutherford would not do that because he likes the exact deal we just made. Find players playing poorly and buy low on them like Schultz, Daley, and Hagelin during our first Cup run of the back to backs and Pearson and Bjugstad this season. Love this deal.

Reactions: Tweed

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Jets have had 5 players play centre this season, include Scheifele (1158 TOI), Little (817 TOI) Lowry (726 TOI) Copp (458 TOI) & Roslovic (452 TOI). TOI indicates Lowry is more a second liner than a fourth.

Anyways he's a bargain at $2.9 million. Night in night out he plays against the oppositions top lines and dominates which allows the Jets top 6 to methodically work their magic.

Lowry's one of many players on team friendly contracts that will allow the Jets to keep much of their roster intact and below the cap for years to come.

Glad you are happy with him because I rather have Bjugstad and McCann trade than adding Lowry. So your happy and I am happy, awesome!

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
That’s a lot of future to get a little bit younger but gamble on fit again.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Glad you are happy with him because I rather have Bjugstad and McCann trade than adding Lowry. So your happy and I am happy, awesome!

Lowry is exactly the type of player every team needs to be honest. Hustles all over the ice, smart player, great in the dot. Basically Hagelin (minus the f/0's) with more offense.

I can't believe the Pens wouldn't want him over the guys they just traded for.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Did they make another trade?

They both can play 3C now and that is not even a stretch. McCann the lesser of the two as of now but only 22 has already put up average 3C production with mid 30’s points per 82 games played the past two seasons so even if he didn’t improve Jen still would be an average 3C and at 22 he most likely has some room to improve on that.

Bjugstad was awesome tonight with Kessel and Rust and I think they are going to be a great 3rd line for the Pens. Bjugstad has 2nd line talent and we will most likely use him as our 3C with Kessel to form 3 scoring lines like the HBK year in first of back to backs.

We heard this all before with players like Schultz, Daley, and Hagelin from all their fans and all they did was help us win some Cups. Did the same with Pearson this year and I really like his game also. Rutherford is good at scouting players having down years that he believes will turn it around with the Pens. Great deal with giving up almost nothing but 2 players that had not done well and only had control of for a few more months and some picks that if one turns out it won’t be for 4 or more years when our window has closed.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
We heard this all before with players like Schultz, Daley, and Hagelin from all their fans and all they did was help us win some Cups. Did the same with Pearson this year and I really like his game also. Rutherford is good at scouting players having down years that he believes will turn it around with the Pens. Great deal with giving up almost nothing but 2 players that had not done well and only had control of for a few more months and some picks that if one turns out it won’t be for 4 or more years when our window has closed.

Why do Pens fans think Daley and Hagelin were reclamation projects? Daley had his best season, a season never matched with the Pens, the season before he was traded. It didn't work out with the Hawks, after a whopping 29 games and the Pens made a great trade for him. Hagelin was a really good player for the Rangers, wasn't after 43 games with the Ducks, again Pens made a good trade.

Who didn't think they were good players at the time they were traded?

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
That’s a lot of future to get a little bit younger but gamble on fit again.

I view this as the exact opposite as your take. Pens get 2 players young 26 and 22 for now and future for two rentals and lottery tickets.

First off let’s start with the 4ths which only have a 20% chance of developing a NHL regular and even if one hits will they even be anything more than a marginal player. Late 2nd round players are still a 50/50 type thing on if you get a productive NHL player and the Panthers would be lucky if any of those picks becomes as good as one of Bjugstad or McCann and we are talking at least 4 years from now.

Pens getting a 22 year old and 26 year old is a big improvement on the present and future. Pens have 12 forwards, 7 defenseman, and both goalies under team control through next season also now and most past that. You are acting like the Pens just used picks and prospects for a couple of rentals and that is far from the case.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Why do Pens fans think Daley and Hagelin were reclamation projects? Daley had his best season, a season never matched with the Pens, the season before he was traded. It didn't work out with the Hawks, after a whopping 29 games and the Pens made a great trade for him. Hagelin was a really good player for the Rangers, wasn't after 43 games with the Ducks, again Pens made a good trade.

Who didn't think they were good players at the time they were traded?

Because they had been having poor seasons with those teams and Rutherford bought low. That is his strategy because he looks for players that had past success that is having a poor start to the season or even a poor season that has had success in the recent past. Your examples are correct they did have good seasons the year before just like Pearson had 3 good seasons in a row before he started this season with 1 point in 17 games with the Kings before we traded for him. Bjugstad also had 49 point season just last year and is only 26. Exact kind of player Rutherford looks for.

Last edited:

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Can someone please explain to me how all this Panarin/Bob interest coming out of Florida isn't tampering? These guys are still under contract. How can you float this out there without influencing the ability of CBus to resign them if they wanted to try?

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
Longtime Panther STH. If Jugs stays healthy and plays to his potential, then this is a win for the Pens, but that is a big "if" given his injury history. Good gamble by Pens--high upside-low downside. McCann is a young, decent 3rd liner, who can play center or wing, on a cheap contract. What is there not to like?

From Panthers perspective, the trade also makes sense. With Trochek's return, they are set at center for the top 3 lines and have better options at wing due to the Hoffman acquisition and with Tippet now NHL ready. Expect both rentals to be gone by the TDL in return for picks/prospects. The return at the TDL combined with the 2nd and 2 4ths exceeds the price paid by the Panthers for Hoffman. From Tallon's perspective, the Panthers basically swapped Jugs and McCann and their cap space for Hoffman and his plus added a pick or two.

Reactions: Peat

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Can someone please explain to me how all this Panarin/Bob interest coming out of Florida isn't tampering? These guys are still under contract. How can you float this out there without influencing the ability of CBus to resign them if they wanted to try?
Because it is not Florida stating anything, it's media.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Beat guy for Florida said Bjugstad prefers center, so hopefully he takes advantage of the opportunity.

He skates well for a big man and is extremely rangy. From the way he’s being described, and what I saw yesterday, this could be another Staal situation.

Big rangy guy that can move well, that sometimes seems a second behind making a pass or move, will always leave you wanting more with his talent. Doesn’t play physical, but uses his size well enough.

Difference seems to be Staal was good defensively though. Staal also had beast mode Staal, where he would get angry and dominate for a couple games, then go back to peaceful indifferent Staal for a month or two.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

How is this not the case for Bjugstad too considering that he put up 49 points last season? Just because he was on the same team?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
How is this not the case for Bjugstad too considering that he put up 49 points last season? Just because he was on the same team?

His injury history and how Panthers fans say his game is.

Also, I didn't say anything about Bjugstad other than he was a salary dump.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Ya this poster is contradicting him/herself.

It’s the same situation of buying low as the others.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

Because it is all speculation and not coming from Panthers team. They are going to manybe go after one of them or some high cost player. Heck maybe they are clearing space to offer sheet Marner or Mathews? It is all just conjecture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad