Confirmed Trade: [FLA/PIT] Bjugstad & McCann for Brassard, Sheahan, 2nd 2019, 4th 2019, 4th 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Useless players don’t finish a season as your 5th leading forward by double digits on the 6th forward. Last year at 25 years old he had 49 points which is good no matter who you play with. Also he won’t have to carry a 3rd line because Pens like to put Kessel on that line. Playing on a 3rd line with Kessel and Rust and getting great matchups because teams have to put best defenseman against Crosby and Malkin lines. Bjugstad looked great tonight with those wingers so I will see how he does in our system. We have had many players play at another level when they come to the Pens so I will wait and see. Can’t complain about a 26 year old coming off a good season last year.

McCann is only 22 and has already proven to be a top 9 forward. Last year he was the 8th leading forward on your team while only playing 68 games. 28 points in 68 games is mid 30’s pace and looks like he is on the same pace this year so we will take that as our 4C.

For two rentals that couldn’t produce for us this year and a very low 2nd round pick and some 4th’s I am very happy getting two young players with term that have both been productive players. If we do keep them as Centers that is a pretty good group down the middle with Crosby, Malkin, Bjugstad, and McCann.

You’re stuck on this 49 points thing, he finally looked like he play on the wing with Barkov and Dadonov, great. Finally he put up 49.

For years he’s looked like shit, wouldn’t use his size, always injured, and he made over 4 mil. Goodbye. Good luck.

We watched him for YEARS, but I appreciate you educating us on the guy based on 49 points.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Only time Bjugstad has looked usefull was when he played with Barkov, but who wouldn't in that role.
He's a 25-30 point player without Barkov, but sure a "good" player and bad trade for Florida.
Good thing he's going to Pittsburgh to play on a line with Kessel then. He's a solid middle 6 guy. Florida traded him and a useful 3rd/4th liner for inferior players and crap picks. Maybe they get another super late 2nd for Brassard. Then maybe you get lucky and get an NHL player out of one of those 2 2nd rounders and you'll be lucky if that player is as good as Bjugstad. 4th rounders good luck.... I get clearing the books to make a run at Bobrovsky and Panarin, but I think Tallon sold low on these guys.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I'm joking. Calm down.

Ok, pretty hard to tell over the internet, fact is, Pens fans keep coming in talking as if we didn’t have to watch him miss the net, lose the puck, get pushed off by a guy half his size, make a terrible pass...and plenty of his points were secondary.

Again, nothing against him, he does well there I’m fine with it and good for him, but I’ll enjoy his 4+ mil off the books and him off the team.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
No Cats fans will say they hate the guy. He always signed every autograph and did every interview. Team, fans and managment loved him. Just had no consistency to his game and lacks skills like puck handling and passing at high speeds.

Great dude who can hopefully play well with the great players on Pitt

Keep hearing he’s a great guy. I know it doesn’t matter jack on the ice but I eat that shit up. Love to see it.

But I get it, he had one good game, still not tryna come to conclusions after game 1. Hopefully he can find some consistency here. Well see how it plays out. I think regardless of outcome it was a smart, fair trade for both sides. I do hope you guys get Breadman, add him to the prospects that could graduate up next year and you guys will be loaded up front.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Florida is by far the worst run team in hockey. Pittsburgh just got a real #3 centre and more size up front for scraps. Did the Panthers get a cash payment at least? I mean they will get a 2nd back for Brassard. I have to think they are just clearing cap space for a run at some stars in the offseason.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Fun fact: Rumor is Detroit was hot for Bjugstad before the Panthers drafted him, so they settled for Sheahan. Fun little link between the players.

The Penguins apparently really wanted to draft Bjugstad too, they took Bennett in 2010 after Bjugstad was taken a pick before them.

Penguins swing MASSIVE trade with Florida: Brassard, Sheahan sent for Nick Bjugstad, Jared McCann

The Penguins bring back Nick Bjugstad - a player they’ve wanted since he was picked in the 2010 draft just before their selection (they settled for their next choice, Beau Bennett). Bjugstad is a hulking player but one who has found a home on the right wing as of late, which makes his addition questionable as to what the Pens think about his future. Bjugstad is signed for this year and two more at $4.1 million cap hit.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Personally, I like this more for the Penguins. Cap space is only as good as what you fill it with. It seems to me they gave up two good players. The recent success rate of UFAs is not high.

Reactions: EightyOne

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Ah man, hopefully it sticks this time. He’s playing 2C right now between Rust and Kessel and they’ve been the teams best line tonight. Don’t wanna put too much stock on one game but he looks really good.
He’s been great the last two years. Panthers fans will never admit it. Too much biased opinions to take anything the panthers say seriously.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Who knows...things might work out for Bjugstad

He's a really frustrating player to watch. Because he has some tools and can show flashes of a really good player here and there. But his hockey IQ is really below average and most of the time, plays "die" when he got the puck.

And because of his low hockey IQ, he can't keep the pace while playing with top players. And he's not good enough to carry a third line.

So yeah, overall, he's a useless player :(
All this is bullshit. He elevated barkov a production last year when in it. He’s a good middle 6 player who will most likely excel in Pittsburgh. Mcann is a middling
3c that won’t affect the game either way

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Who knows...things might work out for Bjugstad

He's a really frustrating player to watch. Because he has some tools and can show flashes of a really good player here and there. But his hockey IQ is really below average and most of the time, plays "die" when he got the puck.

And because of his low hockey IQ, he can't keep the pace while playing with top players. And he's not good enough to carry a third line.

So yeah, overall, he's a useless player :(

A 26 year old 6’6 guy who can skate, who has scored 40-50 points multiple times and doesn’t hurt you defensively is far from useless. None of the data suggests he is anything but a good, but inconsistent depth player.

Reactions: Paladin2799

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
25-30 point player without Barkov? Looks like 4 of his past 5 years he had more than that even playing less than full seasons.

So let’s get this right, last year at 25 years old he has 49 points but that was because he played with Barkov. Well luckily for us we plan to use him centering Kessel or if he they later change him to winger with Malkin or Crosby so I think he will be okay. If Bjugstad does stay at Center like tonight then he will get matched up against 3rd pairing defenseman while playing with Rust and Kessel because Crosby and Malkin’s lines will draw the top pairings from other teams. Plus I think it is ridiculous to act like a player sucks that had 49 point season last year. That just is a crazy expectation to act like that is not productive enough.

12 points this year with the Panthers, 14 in 54 few years ago. Not really something to go crazy about.

Barkov is very easy to play with and makes everyone better around him, if you want something out of Bjugstad you need to play him with quality and even then his consistency will drive you crazy at times.
& even then you need to consider are you getting the max out of your lineup.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Florida got the cap space and picks but make no mistake, the Pens got the far better return in youth, speed, and position flexibility. Brassard was a bad fit and Sheahan never played to his size. He had some solid games but rarely did he take the opportunity to elevate his play. Players that have the talent of Bjugstad are rare and the Pens will put him in the best position to succeed. Having Sid helping him is big. Pens are smiling like a butchers dog on this deal.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I see this as a Penguins win.

I'll reiterate what many have said. McCann and Bjugstad are younger, cost controlled players. This trades stabilizes Pittsburghs forward depth moving forward and I dont think a 2nd and 2 4ths is a steep price.

Florida is taking a gamble for free agency. If they manage to get Panarin and/or Bobrovsky this trade is also a win for them. If those players sign elsewhere it is a terrible asset management trade.

Reactions: td_ice

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Florida got the cap space and picks but make no mistake, the Pens got the far better return in youth, speed, and position flexibility. Brassard was a bad fit and Sheahan never played to his size. He had some solid games but rarely did he take the opportunity to elevate his play. Players that have the talent of Bjugstad are rare and the Pens will put him in the best position to succeed. Having Sid helping him is big. Pens are smiling like a butchers dog on this deal.

It's a win no matter what. Getting rid of Bjugstad is a win. He might play better on Penguins but we Panthers fans were tired of this Bjugstad project that never turned into anything even tho the guy was given all the chances in the world.

Reactions: Kid Icarus

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
A 26 year old 6’6 guy who can skate, who has scored 40-50 points multiple times and doesn’t hurt you defensively is far from useless. None of the data suggests he is anything but a good, but inconsistent depth player.

Never scored 50 points. Over 40 two times

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
3m is pretty expensive for a 4th line center.

Jets have had 5 players play centre this season, include Scheifele (1158 TOI), Little (817 TOI) Lowry (726 TOI) Copp (458 TOI) & Roslovic (452 TOI). TOI indicates Lowry is more a second liner than a fourth.

Anyways he's a bargain at $2.9 million. Night in night out he plays against the oppositions top lines and dominates which allows the Jets top 6 to methodically work their magic.

Lowry's one of many players on team friendly contracts that will allow the Jets to keep much of their roster intact and below the cap for years to come.

Last edited:

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Florida is by far the worst run team in hockey. Pittsburgh just got a real #3 centre and more size up front for scraps. Did the Panthers get a cash payment at least? I mean they will get a 2nd back for Brassard. I have to think they are just clearing cap space for a run at some stars in the offseason.

Pathetic attempt to insult another team. At least know something about the players, and what was going on with their situations in Florida, before making crap comments.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
I see this as a Penguins win.

I'll reiterate what many have said. McCann and Bjugstad are younger, cost controlled players. This trades stabilizes Pittsburghs forward depth moving forward and I dont think a 2nd and 2 4ths is a steep price.

Florida is taking a gamble for free agency. If they manage to get Panarin and/or Bobrovsky this trade is also a win for them. If those players sign elsewhere it is a terrible asset management trade.

Might be a gamble, but a very low risk gamble.

Like it's been said before, McCann is really meh and it's very doubtful that he will "break out" with the pens.

Bjugstad is a better player, but nothing to go crazy about, especially with his contract.

It's a smart move by Tallon. This trade doesn't hurt our team and gives him more flexibility for the next summer.

It's the kind of "risk" he had to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad