Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] Panthers re-sign Sam Bennett (4 years, $4.4M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Only really watched Bennett when he played playoffs with the Flames/Panthers.

Always liked what I saw out of him. Hits everything & I love it, aside from the bad penalties he takes.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If you told Flames fans 2 years ago that Bennet would be making 4.4M per year.... lol.... as if they'd ever take you seriously again.

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
These are the kind of home runs FLA has to go for if they are going to try to compete with a $10M backup. I like it, and Reinhart a decent option to try if Bennett slumps.

Reactions: Russian Factor

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I wonder if he just needs a good sports psychologist. Losing all your hair and being a franchises highest pick ever might have took a toll on him. I mean it's entirely possible that he could have just been in a bad spot mentally. Flames fans certainly weren't any help with the expectations. Wish him the best and hope it ends up being a great contract for the Panthers. I know I would be happier living in Florida than Calgary in the winter.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You realize players can blossom still at that age if given a role or opportunity they never consistently got prior, right? It's not like Bennett was constantly played in a top 6 role in Calgary but kept failing at it and lost his job.

I think we also have to admit that Bennett had his fair of hot streaks in Calgary as well if we are taking this outlook.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
Surprised they gave him so much term. I thought it would be a one year prove it type of thing.
I think the Huby factor plays a big part in it. Outside of Barkov and Jagr, Huby has never had such immediate chemistry with anybody else. Everything Sam is doing out there seems to be what Huby has been looking for. Him and Sam appear to have become best of friends too. He found his centerman. Should make it a little bit easier to resign him.

Reactions: BabyBennettov

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
tenor.gif

Reactions: Devonator
Sep 13, 2009
So let me get this straight. This guy did nothing in Calgary for 6 years, gets traded to Florida, instantly transforms himself into an elite top-6 forward, then immediately cashes in on a $4.4 million AAV multi-year contract. Did I get that right? :skeptic:

Reactions: Devonator

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
This seems like either a really good deal, or a deal that's going to be practically unmovable like the Matheson one. Depending on whether Bennett is the guy they got a short sample of in Florida, who would be a steal at that price...or if that was a bit of a mirage, and he's actually more of the guy he was in Calgary who never seemed to put it all together. But it's kinda hard to picture this just ending up being a "medium" deal for fair value, a couple years from now. Kind of a deal on a fulcrum, most likely to tip significantly one way or the other on value. Very exciting.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
FLA going to regret this by midway point of the upcoming season.

He’s playing behind Barkov with Huberdeau, you really think so?

This seems like either a really good deal, or a deal that's going to be practically unmovable like the Matheson one. Depending on whether Bennett is the guy they got a short sample of in Florida, who would be a steal at that price...or if that was a bit of a mirage, and he's actually more of the guy he was in Calgary who never seemed to put it all together. But it's kinda hard to picture this just ending up being a "medium" deal for fair value, a couple years from now. Kind of a deal on a fulcrum, most likely to tip significantly one way or the other on value. Very exciting.

Matheson contract atleast was 8 years. This is 4

Reactions: BabyBennettov

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Interesting that he gets a big contract after being almost a bust for a number of years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad