Confirmed Trade: [FLA/OTT] Vladimir Tarasenko (50% retained) for 2025 3rd round pick and 2024 4th round pick

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Panthers lack draft pick capital so makes sense that’s all they can offer. Now waiting for reports that Staios and Zito made this deal while in the hot tub together to make more sense of it.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
It’s just more proof you drastically overestimate the ability of Sens players.

Just like expecting a big return for Tarasenko

Most sens fans didn't expect a big return. A second and another ok piece was what most expected. A first if there was a bidding war.

I figure either tarasenko said he would only be willing to accept a trade to one team willing to trade for him, or ottawas new GM is as terrible as the old one.

There are no other reasons why the guy shouldn't have returned at least a second.

I hope it's the former.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Chances are Tarasenko only wanted to go to Florida and he signed with the understanding he'd be traded if Ottawa wasn't in the playoffs. Sure Ottawa could just not trade him out of spite... But then good luck ever trying to sign another free agent again.
This.

The Sens had an agreement with Tarasenko before they signed him. Sure you can screw the guy, and maybe you get lucky and it works for you once or twice... but people talk. The NHL players pool is not that huge group of people. You stop Tarasenko from pursuing a Cup after you made him a promise, guys will notice. And that will affect current AND future relationships.

Say the offer falls through and Tarasenko ends up staying in Ottawa. Do you really want that disgruntled presence in your locker room? How will the rest of the team feel about it?

I'm watching a similar situation unfold at my workplace right now. Used to be a great team; doing important, high quality work, pay was kinda meh but the boss backed people up when necessary. Got new leadership who tried to "get more out of people to make things more effective." First they screwed one of the low-level employees - and people noticed and wondered. Then they did it again. Since they took over two years ago, half the employees have left, are in the process of leaving or are at least considering it, and good luck finding new people - this isn’t McDonald's, everybody in this field knows people "through a friend of a friend of a friend". So far, they found... one fresh graduate who can’t do the job. They've been searching for my future replacement for two months now, nobody's interested. The sad thing is, the job itself is still really interesting and important; it's just nobody wants to deal with these psychopaths on even a remotely regular basis.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
This.

The Sens had an agreement with Tarasenko before they signed him. Sure you can screw the guy, and maybe you get lucky and it works for you once or twice... but people talk. The NHL players pool is not that huge group of people. You stop Tarasenko from pursuing a Cup after you made him a promise, guys will notice. And that will affect current AND future relationships.

Say the offer falls through and Tarasenko ends up staying in Ottawa. Do you really want that disgruntled presence in your locker room? How will the rest of the team feel about it?

I'm watching a similar situation unfold at my workplace right now. Used to be a great team; doing important, high quality work, pay was kinda meh but the boss backed people up when necessary. Got new leadership who tried to "get more out of people to make things more effective." First they screwed one of the low-level employees - and people noticed and wondered. Then they did it again. Since they took over two years ago, half the employees have left, are in the process of leaving or are at least considering it, and good luck finding new people - this isn’t McDonald's, everybody in this field knows people "through a friend of a friend of a friend". So far, they found... one fresh graduate who can’t do the job. They've been searching for my future replacement for two months now, nobody's interested. The sad thing is, the job itself is still really interesting and important; it's just nobody wants to deal with these psychopaths on even a remotely regular basis.
I'm thinking you work in the social services?

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002

big surprise

Yeah, well I've been reliably told Ottawa should have made him consider other locations or told him "we won't send you anywhere, you can stay here the rest of the year."

That would have really shown him.

Exactly. Players want to go to places that win first and foremost, they go to places they really want to be second. If there's a choice between a team that treats its players with respect and honors agreements made, and a team that talks about working with the player but will screw him over for selfish purposes, the player is going to that first club every time and probably doing it for a little less - which means if you're the second club, getting that guy in is going to cost you more in terms of salary, contractual obligations (NTC/NMC), or both.

Siri, show me "how to cause players to avoid signing with me unless they have no other choice, and make my team worse long-term and probably keep it stuck in the basement for years?"

Maybe Ottawa didn't realize they had the option of not trading him unless FLA made a better offer. Sure they risk getting nothing, but that's not much worse than they got anyways.
Amen. If FLA wanted him, pay up. If not, tell FLA and Tarasenko to pound sound.

Reactions: RogerRoger

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Amen. If FLA wanted him, pay up. If not, tell FLA and Tarasenko to pound sound.
If Freedman and others are correct, which stands to reason, then they did the smart thing.

Cutting off their nose to spite their face and gaining a reputation for not doing right by employees is bad business.

A third and a fourth is not nothing and if it is truly all they could get then it's good asset management.

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007
Happy to see the Sens do good by Tarasenko. It does sting a little bit though, the guy just "looked" like an Ottawa Senator....and not in the usual bad way that is associated with this franchise.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This.

Maybe they shouldn’t have gave him a clause. No one else wanted him so why give it to him?

• Haha
Reactions: RogerRoger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad