Claimed off Waivers: [FLA] Noah Juulsen claimed off waivers by the Panthers

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Not necessarily, from what I can tell Florida's D seems to have open spots up for grabs
Yep: depends on injuries. We have no idea why Nutivaara hasn’t played yet so we have an open spot. The Yandle situation is confusing. There’s a chance we have 2 open spots for three of Forsling, Stillman and Juulsen.

Im guessing we want to season Keeper and Priskie longer in the minors to be honest so this can make sense

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yandle - Ekblad
Weegar - Stralman
Nutivaara - Gudas
Forsling - Juulsen
Stillman

Stillman played in half their games last season but is waiver exempt so maybe they send him down to the AHL/Taxi squad.

If Juulsen does not play games... it's disingenuous to Juulsen's career to have him sit on the taxi squad IMO (with him needing to play after dealing with that freak injury for two years now). Panthers should not care about this and I'm only looking it from Juulsen's side of things

HABsurde

Jul 28, 2005
Montreal
A guy with that much injury history got claimed. Guy has played barely any hockey lately

Quite shocked by this one.
They must have liked him in his draft year

The Panthers, i don't know if they liked him. I'm sure Rick Dudley and Shane Churla who were with the Habs back then certainly did...

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
For those interested, this cost Florida $56,250, paid to Montreal and not counted against the cap.

I have a question... Someone said they got rid of waiver claim compensation years ago. Is that true or not? Hard to find when I look on the net for that info on the latest CBA. Seems like it's still in effect.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Panthers, i don't know if they liked him. I'm sure Rick Dudley and Shane Churla who were with the Habs back then certainly did...

Agreed. Juulsen still has NHL potential and fringe top 4D and his freak injury derailed his development for two years. Age 22 and 23 seasons for prospects are critical in development.... especially for D men

Good luck with Juulsen in Florida! He may turn into another Weegar for them. Maybe, maybe not

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
A lot of people were confident he would pass through waivers.

Maybe there is some smoke to FLA being unhappy with Yandle? Quite the contract to move during a pandemic.

Juulsen is in no way or shape a Yandle replacement but he was showing signs of being a competent defensive dman before he got a puck right in his eye and hasn't played much since. Seems like a good kid though, hope he'll be able to bounce back on track even if it's not for Montreal.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Juulsen is in no way or shape a Yandle replacement but he was showing signs of being a competent defensive dman before he got a puck right in his eye and hasn't played much since. Seems like a good kid though, hope he'll be able to bounce back on track even if it's not for Montreal.
I didn't mean a direct replacement for Yandle.

If they are moving Yandle I imagine someone already on the team would be elevated and Juulsen could get an opportunity lower in the lineup.

If Juulsen was a Yandle replacement, I don't think Montreal would have waived him.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Honestly I'm happy for the guy. If it weren't for his eye injury we would have been in the NHL with the Habs. Now he gets a shot to see if he can make it in the league on a weaker blue line that has space for him.

Also the Habs former head of scouting (i think he was second in command when we drafted Juulsen) recently became the Panthers head of amateur scouting so he likely was a big part of Julien getting claimed.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Honestly I'm happy for the guy. If it weren't for his eye injury we would have been in the NHL with the Habs. Now he gets a shot to see if he came make it in the league on a weaker team.

Also the Habs former head of scouting (i think he was second in command when we drafted Juulsen) recently became the Panthers head of amateur scouting so he likely was a big part of Julien getting claimed.

Don't be so happy for Juulsen yet... Habs planed on playing him full time in the AHL and he needed it after his freak injury that caused him serious issues for two years in a row. Panthers might use him in a depth role where he does not get to play regularly.

Reactions: abo9

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Don't be so happy for Juulsen yet... Habs planed on playing him full time in the AHL and he needed it after his freak injury that caused him serious issues for two years in a row. Panthers might use him in a depth role where he does not get to play regularly.

I imagine lots of guys would rather be in the Show with the big boys, even if it means competing for a spot every day and riding some pine...over playing top pairing minutes in the AHL

Reactions: CanuckCity

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I imagine lots of guys would rather be in the Show with the big boys, even if it means competing for a spot every day and riding some pine...over playing top pairing minutes in the AHL

That's true but it is still not the best situation for Juulsen after his last two years of dealing with that freak injury where he did not play much at all.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
That's true but it is still not the best situation for Juulsen after his last two years of dealing with that freak injury where he did not play much at all.
I'd be greatly surprise if he didn't play that much. The "bottom" four spots are up for grab.

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
Always liked Juulsen. I hope for his sake he gets to play some games with FLA, it would be awful for him to sit on the taxi squad after already missing two seasons.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
how has Priskie looked in camp?

Looks like he's not in any of these depth lists.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I've always like Juulsen and wanted him to succeed.

I really hope Florida knows what they're doing with him because IMO he's at a pretty important crossroad in his career. What they do could make or break him with all his time off over the last few years.

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
Worth noting the Panthers now have Churla on payroll who was the Habs former director of amateur scouting, he may have been high on him.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Agreed. Juulsen still has NHL potential and fringe top 4D and his freak injury derailed his development for two years. Age 22 and 23 seasons for prospects are critical in development.... especially for D men

Good luck with Juulsen in Florida! He may turn into another Weegar for them. Maybe, maybe not
What does he have in common with Weegar? Juulsen a 1st round pick and Weegar slowly devolep 7th round pick by Panthers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad