Claimed off Waivers: [FLA] Noah Juulsen claimed off waivers by the Panthers

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I have a question... Someone said they got rid of waiver claim compensation years ago. Is that true or not? Hard to find when I look on the net for that info on the latest CBA. Seems like it's still in effect.
There's no compensation, as in having to send back a comparable player.
Just the "pocket change" financial transaction. You're essentially purchasing the contract from the other team, and the waiver price is determined by how many years they player has cumulatively been on contract

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 Hole

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
how has Priskie looked in camp?

Looks like he's not in any of these depth lists.
He looked pretty good: I think we want to let him develop defensively a bit in the minors . The two defensemen that we added are certainly more defensively oriented!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There's no compensation, as in you have to send back a comparable player.
Just the "pocket change" financial transaction. You're essentially purchasing the contract from the other team, and the waiver price is determined by how many years they player has cumulatively been on contract

Isn't the waiver price compensation?

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Isn't the waiver price compensation?
Yes, it is, but there's no roster compensation or anything like that.
It's more administrative compensation behind the scenes.

But yes, the waiver price is technically compensation, and is still in practice (unless I missed a change in the new CBA, but it was up until last year, and 90% sure it's still there!)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes, it is, but there's no roster compensation or anything like that.
It's more administrative compensation behind the scenes.

But yes, the waiver price is technically compensation, and is still in practice (unless I missed a change in the new CBA, but it was up until last year, and 90% sure it's still there!)

K... it's still in practice was the answer to my question. Is there some table chart that explains the compensation for years of service on a current contract? I'm curious to see that.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Good pickup by the Panthers. Terrible mismanagement decisions by The Habs as usual.
Except they had no real choice. He has played a total of 37 games between NHL and AHL in the last two years. With a short season I guess they didn't feel they could use up a roster spot for him and he would play more in the AHL so tried to send him down.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Juulsen was a promising prospect and I think he can still be a very good player. His injuries were serious but they're either there or not, it's different than a bum knee. I think from a Panthers POV, for free he is more than worth it healthy or not. Wish him the best.

The Habs have an overload of RD and sometimes you're going to lose a good player/prospect. At least Juulsen is a loss to one of our strongest positions organizationally.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
A lot of people were confident he would pass through waivers.

To be fair, a lot of the people that were confident he would pass through fall into the usual category of people with strong opinions about players they know almost nothing about beyond pursuing their hockeydb page.

I said I thought he would claimed and I think he was absolutely worth the gamble for Florida.

Reactions: montreal

BananaCat11

Jun 30, 2019
Laurentians
Except they had no real choice. He has played a total of 37 games between NHL and AHL in the last two years. With a short season I guess they didn't feel they could use up a roster spot for him and he would play more in the AHL so tried to send him down.

I think he will do alright in Florida. If he can stay healthy, I think he will be just as good as most Dmen in their current roster. I also think he is better then some suspect Dmen on the habs current roster. Bergevin was thinking Juulson would be able to sneak under teams radar. Panthers checkmated them. Panthers know the kid still has potential because their scouts were ours when they drafted him. I Hope he does good and rebounds . He is a player Hab fans never really got to see the full potential of because he has had some bad luck streaks. I wish him luck in FLA. For the price its a no brainer considering he already has earned the confidence of their staff.

Reactions: 5 Hole

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
@Mick Jagr

"Here we go where everybody on HFboards predicts this guy will DEFINITELY get claimed and then he'll clear."

"He's 23, not that good and teams are already strapped for cash. Anybody who claims has to think he's an NHL calibre player and he's just not."

"Annnnd he's officially on waivers. I can't wait for him not to be claimed and this thread to end. This guy is just not an NHL talent at this point in his career."

:laugh:

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Building your defense through waivers seems like a great way to have a horrible season.
Depends where they plan to use them: it looks like some of the waiver activity is due to injury to Nutivaara so usual activity

Otherwise I don’t think it’s absurd to match the handed ness of your sixth or seventh D via waivers haha

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think he has a chance to find his game. Always liked his game, just Bergevin has produced a weird system within the Habs where they are straight up about business and only business that messes with the development in young players.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
K... it's still in practice was the answer to my question. Is there some table chart that explains the compensation for years of service on a current contract? I'm curious to see that.
There used to be sometimes where a team would need to send back another player, which is what I thought you were referring to

NHL salary cap - Wikipedia
That's taken pretty much exactly from the CBA

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
This is a painful one. Juulsen was looking great before the injury, he looked like a legit NHL player. I never saw 1D in him but top 4 for sure. Florida got a good one.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Nutivaara is injured and unknown for how long. The amount of RH shots on the D is insane
Do we know if he’s truly injured? He’s just listed as unfit to play, like Hornqvist was and now he’s back. Bob is also unfit to play. Could be covid related if they were around someone who had it?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Well, this sucks. Didn't think he would get claimed with his injury history. Kid has barely played hockey the last 2 years. I guess either Dudley or Churla called this one.

Still has potential as a #5 defensive D. He did play towards the end of the season for Laval and seemed to play a steady game. Don't expect much offense from him.

We'll see if he ends up back on waivers. If he does, we can grab him and put him in Laval.

Hurts our depth a bit right now.

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
Damn Panthers
source.gif

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
@Mick Jagr

"Here we go where everybody on HFboards predicts this guy will DEFINITELY get claimed and then he'll clear."

"He's 23, not that good and teams are already strapped for cash. Anybody who claims has to think he's an NHL calibre player and he's just not."

"Annnnd he's officially on waivers. I can't wait for him not to be claimed and this thread to end. This guy is just not an NHL talent at this point in his career."

:laugh:

This is GOLD. :laugh:

Admittedly, I was wrong and I am incredibly shocked that his dude got claimed! Good on him though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad