Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] Jason Demers (5 Years, $4.500M AAV)

member 157595

I understand that but the person who posted that is from the Bay Area. I know very few ppl in the Bay Area (or LA/SD) who would want to live in FL or even visit for long. I wouldn't say something like the person quoted did bc I understand that ppl living in other parts of the US and Canada consider FL's climate an upgrade. But most ppl here consider it a downgrade. Plus in Anaheim, LA, or SJ, you aren't far from the beach or from skiing in the winter. Different perspectives. Again, if ppl in FL consider the Bay Area's or coastal CA's climate a downgrade, I understand that too.

You cannot compare the Pacific coast to the Atlantic. The surfing's much better on your end but the water is freezing cold. The Gulf + Atlantic ocean off the Florida coast is luxuriously warm by comparison. Fishing's great in both places depending on what you're looking for.

Both places are wonderful. It just depends on what you want.

member 157595

lived in Miami for 23 years, except for mosquitos, this statement is a GROSS overstatement

Don't a lot of mosquitoes stay near the Everglades/I-75 corridor? They can't lay their eggs in salt water. I lived in Florida for years and never had a problem with mosquitoes where I was.

I've had MUCH worse mosquito problems in Canada. Canada is overflowing in freshwater lakes, and for certain periods of time the mosquitoes and black flies are ABOMINABLE.

member 157595

So Campbell, Kulikov and Gudbranson suck?

I think they got better, but they still pretty much just Swapped some D-men.

Gudbranson is nothing special. I think they hosed Vancouver on that trade and I'm not a Panthers fan. They got good value for Kulikov too.

Honestly, Tallon's done an amazing job there except for the godawful Bolland contract.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010

I've never thought Kulikov or Gudbranson were particularly good. Campbell is, but Yandle is better. Demers is a big upgrade on Gudbranson, and I think Pysyk is underrated while Kulikov is overrated.

I think they challenge for 1st in the east this year.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Gudbranson is nothing special. I think they hosed Vancouver on that trade and I'm not a Panthers fan. They got good value for Kulikov too.

Honestly, Tallon's done an amazing job there except for the godawful Bolland contract.

Rowe is the gm now. But yes tallon has done well overall. The bolland contract is brutal.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
You cannot compare the Pacific coast to the Atlantic. The surfing's much better on your end but the water is freezing cold. The Gulf + Atlantic ocean off the Florida coast is luxuriously warm by comparison. Fishing's great in both places depending on what you're looking for.

Both places are wonderful. It just depends on what you want.

Well, I think most Californians would agree that what we want is for weather that ISN'T 90+ degrees with 90%+ humidity for half the year. :laugh: Oh, and the water isn't THAT cold down by Los Angeles and San Diego. Up here it certainly is, though. I literally live less than a mile from the spot on the shore nearest to the famous Mavericks big wave surfing spot, and the water here is like 58 degrees year round. Of course, being spitting distance from the water has its benefits too. In summer, we rarely top about 75, and in winter, we rarely get below the low 40s, even in the middle of the night. Oh, and even when there's not a drought, we basically never get rain from late May until late November, so summers are basically always sunny unless there's fog.

Anyway, as for Demers: This AAV was significantly less than I was expecting. A LOT less. 1) He was the only top-4 RD on the FA market. 2) There were several teams with a big need for RD. 3) Some of those teams had a lot of cap room after missing out on the Stamkos sweepstakes. 4) By waiting until today, he could have driven up prices more, since all the other quality D men were already gone, even the LDs.

So, I was expecting him to not come in ANY lower than 5.5m AAV, and I really expected 6-6.5m. That would obviously be more than he would be worth in a vacuum, but the law of supply and demand usually applies everywhere. There was a huge demand combined with a supply of 1, which I assumed would drive the price way up.

So, this is a really great deal for Florida, I think. They got him in there at close to his actual value, and for decent term. They improved their team and didn't pay out the nose to do it. Great work by Florida's GM these last couple days, in getting the goalie of the future as Luongo is phased out as he gets to 40 years old, and getting the best RD on the market to help replace what they lost when Campbell went back to Chicago.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Every one of their pairings look better right now than last year, and cheaper while adding few quality forward prospects while doing so.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Huberdeau-Barkov-Jagr
Smith-Bjugstad-Trocheck
Crouse-McCann-Jokinen
MacKenzie-Sceviour-Marchessault
Thornton

Matheson-Ekblad
Yandle-Demers
Petrovic-Pysyk
Kindl

Reimer / Luongo / Berra

Damn. Looks scary, I don't know, maybe I am way off on the line-up but just looking on possible lines and names, that's ****ing great.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Huberdeau-Barkov-Jagr
Smith-Bjugstad-Trocheck
Crouse-McCann-Jokinen
Thornton

Matheson-Ekblad
Yandle-Demers
Petrovic-Pysyk
Kindl

Reimer / Luongo / Berra

Damn. Looks scary, I don't know, maybe I am way off on the line-up but just looking on possible lines and names, that's ****ing great.

Is it really?

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Huberdeau-Barkov-Jagr
Smith-Bjugstad-Trocheck
Crouse-McCann-Jokinen
Thornton

Matheson-Ekblad
Yandle-Demers
Petrovic-Pysyk
Kindl

Reimer / Luongo / Berra

You got the players right. Just not in the right position.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
They may both be top 4 right now but Larsson >> Demers rather easily

Larsson is a lot younger and a lot cheaper too, albeit I'm not quite sold on him to fix Edmonton's issues on the blueline. I'm guessing Demers may have asked for a little north of $5M to stay in Edmonton because of taxes.

Strachan23

Feb 6, 2013
Miami
Surprised he signed for that low of aav

To be fair, with no State income tax in Florida signing at 4.5 million with them per season, he still makes more than he would by signing in Edmonton for $5 million per season with their 15% income tax.

When people look at these deals and think they're a steal, they're really not because of the amount of money they actually make over other places due to this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad