Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] Jason Demers (5 Years, $4.500M AAV)

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
having 2 top line d, and both locked up long term was huge, but with matheson cost controlled for a while still, and petrovic and pysyk not breaking the bank anytime soon, we could still afford to add a medium sized piece to complete the defense. surprised we were actually able to get demers, and at 4.5per is very solid and took less to come here, love the deal and adding him completely the d now. ekblad, yandle, demers, and matheson as our top-4 with pysyk and petrovic holding down the bottom pairing looks very solid now.

Huberdeau-Barkov-Jagr
McCann-Trocheck-Smith
Jokinen-Bjugstad-Marchessault
Crouse-MacKenzie-Sceviour

Matheson-Ekblad
Yandle-Demers
Petrovic-Pysyk

Luongo
Reimer

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
To be fair, with no State income tax in Florida signing at 4.5 million with them per season, he still makes more than he would by signing in Edmonton for $5 million per season with their 15% income tax.

When people look at these deals and think they're a steal, they're really not because of the amount of money they actually make over other places due to this.
I live in Texas, which does not have income tax. I'm sure Demers was thrilled financially when he was dealt here from San Jose.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Considering the lower taxes that are paid in Florida state there no way on earth that another team could have matched this deal.

I think it's perfect market value. Nobody is overpaying or giving any discounts here. Nice move by the Panthers.

I was a wee bit scared that Edmonton might overpay this guy. Something in the 5.5M per year range. Very happy to see him off of the market. I will sleep better now.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
that blueline is solid. all the pairings have a stay at home guys. 2 way guys and a puck mover. not bad. in the islanders series, did gudbranson have trouble handling the isles forwards speed? read somewhere that him and campbell got owned pretty much everytime in the d-zone? couldnt clear the puck for the life of them therefore luongo got peppered with alot of shots. and was fatigued.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
that blueline is solid. all the pairings have a stay at home guys. 2 way guys and a puck mover. not bad. in the islanders series, did gudbranson have trouble handling the isles forwards speed? read somewhere that him and campbell got owned pretty much everytime in the d-zone? couldnt clear the puck for the life of them therefore luongo got peppered with alot of shots. and was fatigued.

Florida outplayed isles and had alot more posession.. campbell was brutal.. when guds was paired with kulikov tavares was shut down 5 on5...campbell had a really tough series

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Florida said **** it lets win a championship with this core. Went out and made some serious moves and created a really good defensive core of young guys with great potential and older mid level steady guys who you know what you'll get.
Demers clearly seen the forward movement for the Panthers and was willing to take the less AAV for a chance to win

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
You'd be upset when you got there and realized you're in the wrong place. The Panthers play in Sunrise - about 30-40 min north of miami. It's a completely different world. Most players live in the surrounding areas north and east(waterfront) of the arena.

Tamato, tomato, hombre.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Florida outplayed isles and had alot more posession.. campbell was brutal.. when guds was paired with kulikov tavares was shut down 5 on5...campbell had a really tough series

ohh okay. so which defenseman was bad besides campbell?

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Kindl was scratched after the first game. Petrovic wasn't great even though a lot of our board thinks he was.

saw some games where petrovic was pretty bad as well. couldnt clear the puck quick enough. got forechecked and cracked under pressure. next years defense unit is gonna be good for the cats im sure. maybe florida needs to trade or sign at least 1 veteran to stablize the third pairing.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Florida, Texas, Tennessee, and soon to be Nevada are NHL states with ZERO state income tax.

So, he basically signed a deal in a no state income tax state, leaving Texas (another)

California temporarily (haha temporary as IF it will ever return)
has a top rate of 13%

As has been mentioned, Canada and most states tax athletes for whatever percentage of their income they earn playing games in their state.
So A Panthers player, will be on the hook for state taxes for the games played in New York and New Jersey, which are quite high

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Huh, that's a really solid deal. Not that Demers is a gamebreaker, but with all the interest, i would've figured at least an extra million AAV and probably more term as well.

Panthers defence shakeup certainly makes a lot more sense now that they've actually landed both of their UFA targets.

Still going to be interesting to see where the hardest, most brutal defensive zone starts go. But it's a group that could be pretty solid if they can come together quickly. Chemistry can always been a concern with this much turnover though.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Came here to congratulate the Panthers for an excellent signing. IMO, Demers is a very solid 2nd pairing D from everything I have seen. The term was perfect. Great job by your management this off season. I wish you guys all the best next year - enjoy!

alex716

Jan 10, 2014
I'm a Sharks fan, and I don't think he's worth this much. I can't believe other teams were willing to pay even more for him. He was never a reliable defenseman on the Sharks. I would not like him in a top 4 role. He only really did well when Vlasic was babysitting for him, and offensively he's rather ordinary.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
I'm a Sharks fan, and I don't think he's worth this much. I can't believe other teams were willing to pay even more for him. He was never a reliable defenseman on the Sharks. I would not like him in a top 4 role. He only really did well when Vlasic was babysitting for him, and offensively he's rather ordinary.

Seemed to be a rather important piece to a team that nearly led the league in points. Sure they weren't one of the least scored on teams, what he did like 3 seasons ago on a Sharks team that continually disappoints is kind of hard to gauge his value on when he's been at least solid and decent in his stint with the Stars.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB

If he was playing with Vlasic wouldn't that mean he was playing on the top pair though? I don't think anyone is saying he is a top pair, nor is he getting paid like a UFA that is considered a top pairing D.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
If he was playing with Vlasic wouldn't that mean he was playing on the top pair though? I don't think anyone is saying he is a top pair, nor is he getting paid like a UFA that is considered a top pairing D.

Maybe playing on the top pair but not actually one of the top 2 dmen on the depth chart. Teams split them up often. Like neidermeyer and pronger. They were the top 2 dmen on the ducks but they hardly played together. Like burns and vlasic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad