Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] Huberdeau signs 6 year extension ($5.9M AAV)

RichBaster

Feb 18, 2015
Florida has locked up its core.

This 1st year is there coming out party. And the next 6+ is where there core shows up or fail.

Another top 4 defenseman would be a solid add
I doubt this yr is any different from the next 6...in fact, with Jagr and Luongo aging, they probably want the next 2-3 yrs be some of their best yrs. After that, its just a matter of keeping the pipeline flowing as they need to replace guys coming off of contracts with more affordable options.

Weren't they previously rumored to be interested in Kris Russell? Seems like now they have the cap space (almost 10M) after dealing off Bolland to do a deal with Russell. I would say they could use another winger, I believe a RW, that would fit well on the 3rd line who could provide 2-way play.

I wouldnt be surprised if they invited a vet or 2 on a PTO to camp. Wonder if the bridge was burned when they traded Versteeg as he would make sense as a 3RW.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I doubt this yr is any different from the next 6...in fact, with Jagr and Luongo aging, they probably want the next 2-3 yrs be some of their best yrs. After that, its just a matter of keeping the pipeline flowing as they need to replace guys coming off of contracts with more affordable options.

Weren't they previously rumored to be interested in Kris Russell? Seems like now they have the cap space (almost 10M) after dealing off Bolland to do a deal with Russell. I would say they could use another winger, I believe a RW, that would fit well on the 3rd line who could provide 2-way play.

I wouldnt be surprised if they invited a vet or 2 on a PTO to camp. Wonder if the bridge was burned when they traded Versteeg as he would make sense as a 3RW.
Don't want Versteeg back. Yeah, that bridge well beyond burned.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Why you're even acknowledging what he said is beyond me...

You guys got a gold medal goalie for nothing. I watched Markstrom play against the marlies when he was with San Antonio...He wasn't anything to write home about. He still isn't that good and will never be an NHL Starter. The Canucks signed him just to be a patch in the mean time for Demko to come up.

Reimer is a better goalie than Markstrom and in any case, Luongo said he's recovering very well.

hey i mean no disrespect. in my honest opinion i feel thats where floridas achilles heel will be. i think you have seen the best of luongo. when he was a kid. watching games on the west coast a lot and im telling you the worst is yet to come. reimer will be the number one sixty games in however i wouldnt get to comfy there either.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
boy what a landing spot for bishop in free agency. that would have to sting for tampa.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
hey i mean no disrespect. in my honest opinion i feel thats where floridas achilles heel will be. i think you have seen the best of luongo. when he was a kid. watching games on the west coast a lot and im telling you the worst is yet to come. reimer will be the number one sixty games in however i wouldnt get to comfy there either.

the guy you said was a better option has been mediocre at best throughout his career.

RichBaster

Feb 18, 2015
Actually Luongo's only gotten better in the last 3 yrs, you should really read the following article:

http://www.tsn.ca/luongo-is-getting-older-but-better-too-1.549770

With Reimer, they can give him more rest, particularly on b2b's, and still get quality numbers without having Luo play 60+ games still. I cant see anyone thinking goaltending is their Achilles heel at this point in time with how he's played. It will likely be the inexperienced (and revamped this offseason) defense that would more likely be that (could use a more experienced vet for the top 4).

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Too much $ and term

He had 20 goals and 59 pts last season - 45 of which were at even strength, which was good enough to put him at #26 in ES scoring last season.

I'm not going to say it's a great contract, but FLA needed to sign him, and I think they're better off getting him signed to something long term. Value wise, it's probably pretty fair, and if he improves at all (which you'd think he will), then it will easily go from fair to good/v.good value.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
The Sens aren't a good team. You need to face the facts. You have not much besides Karlsson and Ryan to be excited about.
do people really not know about stone and Hoffman.
Turris and brassard aren't bad either is Ryan considered better than any of those 4 by sens fans ? I guess you haven't seen brassard play for you yet so you don't have to rank him

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
why is it that everytime someone mentions anything panthers/senators-related it has to turn into a sens vs cats thread?

on topic: ok deal

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The Sens aren't a good team. You need to face the facts. You have not much besides Karlsson and Ryan to be excited about.

Lol.

Stone and Hoffman are better than every single winger the Panthers have.

I'd say that Florida has 1 forward (Barkov ) definitively better than Ottawa's 5 best forwards (Hoffman, Stone, Ryan, Turris, Brassard)

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Lol.

I'd say that Florida has 1 forward (Barkov ) definitively better than Ottawa's 5 best forwards (Hoffman, Stone, Ryan, Turris, Brassard)

Huberdeau is better than Hoffman.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
idk how this became a fla vs ott debate. fla has better goaltending, better d corp, and ott better top-6 offense but fla deeper offense.

for huberdeau vs hoffman, depends on what you're looking at. theyre different types of players.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Extension? 4 years? Please no.

He was your 2nd/3rd best D in playoffs last year. and played better once he got regular ice time instead of spotty 3rd paring minutes. He outproduced your top line in that playoff series. I think he was just being overlooked because Gudbranson had the 2nd pairing minutes. I thought Gudbranson was a god awful possession player who lacked IQ. Although that wont change with Ekblad and Demers on the right side taking the top minutes this season

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
He was your 2nd/3rd best D in playoffs last year. and played better once he got regular ice time instead of spotty 3rd paring minutes. He outproduced your top line in that playoff series. I think he was just being overlooked because Gudbranson had the 2nd pairing minutes. I thought Gudbranson was a god awful possession player who lacked IQ. Although that wont change with Ekblad and Demers on the right side taking the top minutes this season

He's was our second worst behind only Kindl who gave me nightmares. The bottom pairing got abused.

Ekblad

Mar 10, 2010
Miami, Florida
Great to have basically our entire core signed long term. Now it's just a matter of finding cheaper players for the future holes in the lineup.

The way it looks now, Im happy with our team heading into pre season. First time ever when it feels like "this team is good" rather than "this team can surprise and be good".

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Lol.

Oh wow I actually was off base. Can't believe I missed them that's embarrassing. Your team is still mediocre regardless.

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
Huberdeau is better than Hoffman.

Do not really see the point of this player vs. player stuff. Hoffman and Huberdeau are both good forwards with different skill sets playing in different systems. Since hockey is also very much a team game, it is hard to compare different players on different teams, except in rare instances involving superstars, which neither are.

As a Florida fan, it seems best, after so many losing seasons and false starts, not to get too cocky, especially with all of the changes made in the off season on defense. We have turned over 3 of our top 4. I, for one, am not convinced that Yandle will be that much of an upgrade over Campbell or that Matheson > Kulikov. I do believe that Demers > Guds. In goal, Lou is aging and coming off injury and his slated replacement has not exactly set the hockey world on fire.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Pretty good deal for both sides. It seems like a 100k discount for the weather and taxes for Hub and Panthers would have rather it been a 500k discount but what could they do otherwise.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Weird thing about this deal is I thought he signed a deal like 2 months ago with them for some reason. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad