Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] F Aleksander Barkov signs extension with Florida (8 years, $10M AAV)

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
I genuinely believe that Bob will be forced off the team by the start of the 2023 season. Whether that's 50% retained elsewhere or banished to the minors unless he agrees to mutual contract termination.

Bobrovsky has a NMC, minors or trade are not an option unless he agrees.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
He's not likely to realize the full savings by virtue of living in Florida. I believe he will be subject to "duty days" determination over the course of the season, paying state taxes wherever he will be playing during the year. Because so much of his comp is in signing bonuses, he's not going to be able to avoid the Federal taxes on the biggest chunk of money throughout his contract. For the salary portion, looks like he'll play at least 27 games in taxable states, and another 10 or so in Canada (not sure what the taxation there would be). So take at least another (33% taxable games, maybe more with $CDN) out of his earnings. Still better than living full time in a taxable state, but not nearly as good as "he lives in a tax free state"
That’s why almost all of his salary is paid in signing bonus. He gets taxed at the Florida rate for almost all of his salary

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Great contract for the Panthers and great contract for the most complete hockey player in the world rn. Congrats to both parties.

The next 6 years I'm betting he's over PPG and gets at minimum 3 more Selkes.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
There are so little time in a week during the winter. lol From what I have seen of him, he's good. But 10 million is a lot.
Can’t believe I missed this nonsense.
I’d say he is proving to be a top 10 player (not just scorer) in the league.
SITUATION … 40 seconds left in the game. You’re winning by 1, but shorthanded. How many of the guys you see as top 10 players are on the ice to protect that lead?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Can’t believe I missed this nonsense.
I’d say he is proving to be a top 10 player (not just scorer) in the league.
SITUATION … 40 seconds left in the game. You’re winning by 1, but shorthanded. How many of the guys you see as top 10 players are on the ice to protect that lead?
So you are trying to counter his nonsense (which it is) by using some relatively rare defensive situation to illustrate the point? Isn't the fact that the guy is on pace for 40 goals and scores 1,35 PPG more convincing?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's a fair deal. He gives similar quality play to players who make more like McDavid and Matthews but there are a few non-prime years at the tail end of Barkov's. I could see him having Bergeron's longevity though

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It's a fair deal. He gives similar quality play to players who make more like McDavid and Matthews but there are a few non-prime years at the tail end of Barkov's. I could see him having Bergeron's longevity though

How is it fair and not a damm steal already?

He’s 26y for crying out loud, this takes him to 34.
He took clearly less on hie UFA deal than Matthews/McDavid on their RFA deals

Agreed.

About 2 or 3 mill underpaid

Imagine how this looks when Matthews, Mackinnon get signed to their ufa deals.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
How is it fair and not a damm steal already?

He’s 26y for crying out loud, this takes him to 34.
He took clearly less on hie UFA deal than Matthews/McDavid on their RFA deals

Imagine how this looks when Matthews, Mackinnon get signed to their ufa deals.
For super elites, RFA status doesnt really give the team any leverage. They still get what they want

Reactions: MakoSlade

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
For super elites, RFA status doesnt really give the team any leverage. They still get what they want

It didn’t go like that in the past, pre Matthews contract.

He’ll get 13-14M soon while Barkov is getting 10M, this isn’t fair deal, this is steal already

Reactions: Theodore450

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It didn’t go like that in the past, pre Matthews contract.

He’ll get 13-14M soon while Barkov is getting 10M, this isn’t fair deal, this is steal already
I'd definitely say it is favorable in comparison to deals signed by other forwards with deals that exit their primes, such as Tavares and Panarin, especially considering that the deal was signed later than those.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad