Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] F Aleksander Barkov signs extension with Florida (8 years, $10M AAV)

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Crazy how 10 million a year is considered a steal now in the league. Times be a changing.

Well Barkov is probably a top-10 player or higher in the world, all hockey positions included. Best Finnish player over the likes of Heiskanen, Rantanen and Aho for example.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
lol, purgatory. The only guy that NEEDS to be re-signed is Tippett, and he could have a solid deal upcoming or a bridge. Vatrano, Acciari, Luostairanen, Marchment, Lomberg, etc are role players. Some much better than others. Bob likely gets moved, or bought out, and other rookies make the jump.
This is a terrific, and necessary deal, any thoughts of cap purgatory on THIS deal are lame.
Bob? Yeah he’s a problem, not Barkov.
I didn’t say it was a bad contract. I just pointed out that with only 14 players signed for next season Florida only has a small amount of money left to fill out their roster. The following year there would be no problem.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
With the cap going up to $82.5m, we'll have about $6.2m to fill out the remainder of...

Verhaeghe - Barkov - Reinhart
Huberdeau - Bennett - xxxx
Duclair - xxxx - xxxx
xxxx - xxxx - Hornqvist

Forsling - Ekblad
Montour - Weegar
xxxx - Gudas

Knight
Bobrovsky

Lundell, Denisenko, Luostarinen, Heponiemi, and Noel will fill out that bottom 6 at under $1m each.
One of our LHD prospects will step up and fill in on the bottom pair at under $1m.

That basically leaves Tippett. We have no idea what kind of season Tippett will have, so we don't know what kind of contract he'll need, but if he really blows the doors off and commands $5m+ as an RFA, then we'll just have to buyout Hornqvist's last year, which reduces his cap hit from $5.3m to $1.7m.

Also, this cap crunch is only going to be a 2022-23 thing. After this upcoming bad year capwise, Yandle's buyout decreases by $4.2m and Darling's $1.1m finally expires. That's over $5m in dead cap that we're getting back.
Agree it’s only one year. I hope they have some youngsters that develop this season that they can use next season.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
This is a fair contract for Florida and for Barkov.

But it isn't a steal. Taking 1 million or 2 less isn't a steal.

Having Natha MacKinnon on contract for 6.3 million for 2 more years is a steal. Marchand and Bergeron's contacts were steals.

This definitely isn't, it is a fair contract for both sides.

5.9M for 2 years of Huberdeau is nice too ;)

Reactions: harv33173

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Yeah this isn’t a steal, just fair value. Kucherov makes 9.5 mil, drasaitl makes 8.5….those are steals, and yes I take kucherov over barkov even factoring in positions and defence acumen.

Those were RFA deals?

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
This is going to be Mackinnon type contract.

Mackinnon contract wasn’t steal the day it was signed, he exploded after.
When it comes to UFA contracts this is a steal and can’t compare to RFA contract 5 years ago.

In few years time Matthews/Mackinnon are going to be making 13-14M a year and Florida will have Barkov at 10. A total steal sorry.

This contract won’t end in 9 years, what do you think top guys will be making in 5, 6 or 7 years time when Barkov is still under contract like Mackinnon is now, 10? You’re kidding yourself.

I like Barkov I really do, I think he is an awesome 2 way center but I would rather have MacKinnon at 13 million. MAC has been on that 6.3 million deal for the last 5 years, 4 of which he was over a point per game in the regular season and the playoffs.

Barkov's deal is not going to look like the steal MacKinnons has been. It will probably look like a good contract like it is now.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I like Barkov I really do, I think he is an awesome 2 way center but I would rather have MacKinnon at 13 million. MAC has been on that 6.3 million deal for the last 5 years, 4 of which he was over a point per game in the regular season and the playoffs.

Barkov's deal is not going to look like the steal MacKinnons has been. It will probably look like a good contract like it is now.

I just can’t agree with this.

Matthews and Marner got both clearly more with far less term on RFA deals than what Barkov took on his UFA deal.

Dubas changed the game, that’s just facts.

Top UFA’s on prior years were already getting 11 or over on the market, again Barkov later took 10.

In 5, 6, 7 years time when Barkov is still under contract we are at 15+ for top UFA’s while Barkov is at 10 still.

This is Hedman/Kucherov 2.0.
Especially when you take into account this won’t kick in for another year, Barkov will turn just 27y by the start of 22-23 season and is reigning Selke winner

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
What website can you find those things for all players?

On a random note, I giggle at some of the categories. Battles per 60 sounds like something a fan of Pokemon came up with.

Mainly on Twitter or stated websites on player cards

I try to only use charts as a % of a debate/argument but it's fun to rile up TOR fans when they compare Matthews to Barkov.

Here's some more colours and numbers for the debate :)

FBNMh7CWYAIbWd-.png

E8sVJZvWQAIuiZp.png

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
Who's your team? Whip up a trade proposal for Bob to your team?
FLA will retain a bit and add some future sweeteners (combo of 2023, 2024 1sts and 2nds etc)

Bob's last 2 yrs open up to modified NTC of 16 teams on no trade list.
His money drops to 6 mil a year as well so that's the year (2024 offseason) he likely gets moved, heavily retained and added incentives

He needs to figure out a fun title for that first. ;)

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I genuinely believe that Bob will be forced off the team by the start of the 2023 season. Whether that's 50% retained elsewhere or banished to the minors unless he agrees to mutual contract termination.

moving Bob to the minors will only save 1M off his cap hit

if you think he will agree to mutually terminate his contract you are crazy.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Mainly on Twitter or stated websites on player cards

I try to only use charts as a % of a debate/argument but it's fun to rile up TOR fans when they compare Matthews to Barkov.

Here's some more colours and numbers for the debate :)

View attachment 469118

View attachment 469119

But...but...all these "experts" who rate Matthews higher, doesnt that mean something??? Like these "experts" arent looking for likes and clicks, pushing hidden agendas, or catering to the viewers in markets that are more hockey orientated. I love Matthews. I think he is the best goal scorer in the league. I think even as a Maple Leaf, he needs to be seen more by the world, to promote himself, his team, and the league. But being a Leaf, and in that market, it somehow adds to the reasons why he is ranked where he is. We have seen it happening forever in this league. Players of different nationality, or from a smaller/non-traditional market, are afterthoughts. Matthews is the better scorer of the two, Barkov is the better overall player. If the roles were reversed, I bet the rankings by these "experts" would somewhat different.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I genuinely believe that Bob will be forced off the team by the start of the 2023 season. Whether that's 50% retained elsewhere or banished to the minors unless he agrees to mutual contract termination.
Why would a guy agree to terminate a $70M contract?

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Why would a guy agree to terminate a $70M contract?
By Fall 2023, he'll have less than $15m remaining. Considering that, by that point, he'll have made over $100m over the course of his career, maybe he'd be willing to leave $15m on the table to not have to slum it in the minors.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
By Fall 2023, he'll have less than $15m remaining. Considering that, by that point, he'll have made over $100m over the course of his career, maybe he'd be willing to leave $15m on the table to not have to slum it in the minors.

He can retire like Luongo did, and accept a job with the team after ;)

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
But...but...all these "experts" who rate Matthews higher, doesnt that mean something??? Like these "experts" arent looking for likes and clicks, pushing hidden agendas, or catering to the viewers in markets that are more hockey orientated. I love Matthews. I think he is the best goal scorer in the league. I think even as a Maple Leaf, he needs to be seen more by the world, to promote himself, his team, and the league. But being a Leaf, and in that market, it somehow adds to the reasons why he is ranked where he is. We have seen it happening forever in this league. Players of different nationality, or from a smaller/non-traditional market, are afterthoughts. Matthews is the better scorer of the two, Barkov is the better overall player. If the roles were reversed, I bet the rankings by these "experts" would somewhat different.

Couldn't agree more.
Looking forward to every FLA-TOR game this year.

Small victories are good for you guys. Let’s hope this will get you out of the first round before 25 years hit.

Small victory? We locked up a top 10ish player in the league for next 8yrs?!?

This your attempt at an apology?

Reactions: harv33173

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011

You do realise that Barkov still is playing at his 5.9M deal? Cant compare Barkovs incoming 10M/ contract to MacKinnons 6.3M. Its MacKinnons next deal that you have to compare.

Reactions: behemolari

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad