Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] F Aleksander Barkov signs extension with Florida (8 years, $10M AAV)

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Not just TSN. The NHL also has Crosby & Matthews ahead. So does NBC sports. So do the Hockey Writers. So does ESPN.

EVERYONE out there ranks Barkov outside the top 5-6. Except you few Florida fans in here, who get so easily offended by the facts.

I personally see him as 7th or 8th best, as far as Centres go. And I'm right. :)

.....Except in every single legitimate hockey analyst's list that's ever been published. Just in Florida fan's eyes. :)

Well, all due respect, but.......who cares where a bunch of fake-named hockey fans ranked him(although even here, he's out of the top-5). This place is about as biased as you can find. And yes, 8th is also reasonable. I had him 7th or 8th.
Trolling or not, all the bolded parts put together make for something extremely comical.

Reactions: crowi

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
He's not likely to realize the full savings by virtue of living in Florida. I believe he will be subject to "duty days" determination over the course of the season, paying state taxes wherever he will be playing during the year. Because so much of his comp is in signing bonuses, he's not going to be able to avoid the Federal taxes on the biggest chunk of money throughout his contract. For the salary portion, looks like he'll play at least 27 games in taxable states, and another 10 or so in Canada (not sure what the taxation there would be). So take at least another (33% taxable games, maybe more with $CDN) out of his earnings. Still better than living full time in a taxable state, but not nearly as good as "he lives in a tax free state"

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
By Fall 2023, he'll have less than $15m remaining. Considering that, by that point, he'll have made over $100m over the course of his career, maybe he'd be willing to leave $15m on the table to not have to slum it in the minors.
Would you just give away $15M just because? That’s not realistic. Also no team is going to bury $9M in cap hit in the minors

Reactions: Guttersniped

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Couldn't agree more.
Looking forward to every FLA-TOR game this year.

Small victory? We locked up a top 10ish player in the league for next 8yrs?!?

This your attempt at an apology?
In the grand scheme of not being able to make it out the first round for longer than many posters here have lived? Yes, small victory.

Hopefully you guys will have a resemblance of success this year.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Would you just give away $15M just because? That’s not realistic. Also no team is going to bury $9M in cap hit in the minors
Yeah, he makes 6.5m and then 6m in salary his last two seasons. That’s still a lot of money, even if it’s half of the ~12m he’s making earlier in his deal. Bob’s in his 30’s and he’ll never make this kind of money again, he can handle playing in Charlotte for it. (And according to Cap Friendly he has a NMC , so he can’t sent to the minors either.)

Vancouver fans had this same wishful thinking/delusion about Eriksson because he was “only making 8m” in his last two seasons. People don’t typically walk away from that much money, particularly when they will never have another job that pays that kind of money again.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
If I could retire with a 9 figure net worth and not have to ride a bus and play at rinky dink arenas? Or go back to my home country and play professionally and make millions there instead? Yeah. Probably.

And you say that no team would bury ~$8.8m in the minors, but the alternative is to spend $10m on a backup.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
8x11, I'd guess. He's a bit better than what JT was heading into UFA, but Florida's no income tax knocks it back down to $11M.
It's cute you're trying to compare something to Toronto. Your team chronically overpays high end talent, using them as a comparable is laughable.

steierwrass

Nov 25, 2017
I like Barkov I really do, I think he is an awesome 2 way center but I would rather have MacKinnon at 13 million. MAC has been on that 6.3 million deal for the last 5 years, 4 of which he was over a point per game in the regular season and the playoffs.

Barkov's deal is not going to look like the steal MacKinnons has been. It will probably look like a good contract like it is now.

If you want to talk about MacKinnon's current deal, compare it to Barkov's current deal. 6.3M vs 5.9M and one year more for MacKinnon. And then compare their next deals.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
One of the greatest centers the hockey world has seen signs a long contract with his drafting team and wants to win and build winning team around him. And people somehow find things to bitch about. Is there even a way to make you feel comfortable?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
If I could retire with a 9 figure net worth and not have to ride a bus and play at rinky dink arenas? Or go back to my home country and play professionally and make millions there instead? Yeah. Probably.

And you say that no team would bury ~$8.8m in the minors, but the alternative is to spend $10m on a backup.
Yes, and then acquire a new backup that’s going to cost around ~2M so you can be up paying even more.

I can also guarantee you’d play hockey anywhere in North America for $12M if it was only two years. No one is that ridiculous. Which is also ignoring his NMC so I don’t think he can even be sent down.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
The only thing funny are your responses. It’s not even only Florida fans mentioning it “lmao” At least we can form our own opinion, instead of following what the “experts” say lmao
It’s funny because whenever the “experts” rate someone on Toronto, or say a player like Nylander sucks like the 2019 season/playoffs, suddenly the experts opinions are uesless

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
It’s funny because whenever the “experts” rate someone on Toronto, or say a player like Nylander sucks like the 2019 season/playoffs, suddenly the experts opinions are uesless

I don’t really care about what the experts have to say, because most of the times, when it comes to the Panthers, they all say the same generic stuff, because they don’t watch the team. You can tell when someone knows your team and does his/her research. It’s just like some members here. And you’ll see that a lot on ESPN this season. And being a hockey forum, I believe there are people here who are as bright as a lot of these so-called experts, and aren’t driven by behind-the-scene criteria.

I don’t think I’m one of those people, but I do think I know more about my team than a lot of these “experts.” Im also a sports fanatic, and played sports my whole life, and coached some as well, so I pick up things pretty quickly.

Regardless of whether your a fan or an “expert,” it’s still opinions. Just like it’s my opinion that Barkov is a better overall player than Matthews. I just don’t use what experts say as reasons why, because that doesn’t prove much. Advanced metrics, stats, circumstances, are all more important to me.

Don’t know if it makes much sense, It’s almost 2am here, and I’m watching the Panthers-Lightning game.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Last 3 seasons he's 1.09 PPG and has a selke. He's also just entering his prime. Fair contract

Reactions: Laus723

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
You mean ignoring what the experts say.

You have anything else to contribute to this thread, sheep? Regardless, I shouldn’t give a shit about what you have to say, since you aren’t an expert. If that’s the case, we should just close this board. If you don’t know how it works with these talking bobbleheads on TV and in print, then you still have a lot to learn.

tomi2

Mar 1, 2007
Great deal for Barkov (signing bonuses) and great deal for the team 10m AAV. Good job Zito. Gratz Panthers fans, you gonna be good for so many years.

Reactions: JP Mick

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Has this signing be verified by Master Eklund ? Cause I'm not sure I can believe it until he verifies it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad