Confirmed Trade: [FLA/COL] Derrick Brassard and a conditional 2020 6th round pick for 2020 3rd round pick

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Watch, Brassard will rip it up in Colorado.

That’s what makes us nervous, pending free agent and all. Sakic could mistake him for an actual solution to the second line moving forward.

That said Brassard is a pro and at least for the remainder of the season, Jost-Brassard-Calvert looks like it could potentially be a functional middle-six line. I kind of like Brassard as a veteran linemate to help Jost along.

Reactions: cgf

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Just never seen someone traded so frequently.

Brassard has been traded in a meaningful way only twice for great returns. Once for Zibanejad (who is playing quite well in NYR) and once to Pittsburgh for a 1st+.

Pittsburgh moving their pending UFA 3rd line Center to Florida in a Cap deal and then a non-competing Florida moving him as a rental says nothing about Brassard other than "he was in the last year of his contract".

Reactions: Perratrooper

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
That’s what makes us nervous, pending free agent and all. Sakic could mistake him for an actual solution to the second line moving forward.

That said Brassard is a pro and at least for the remainder of the season, Jost-Brassard-Calvert looks like it could potentially be a functional middle-six line. I kind of like Brassard as a veteran linemate to help Jost along.

You guys will be ok with one of Jack Hughes/Kakko on your 2nd line

Reactions: Meeqs

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Pretty sure AJ & co talked about it after the eventual Duchene trade actually went through, officially confirming that that offer had been on the table previously. But I first heard that from a few different folks...and not just Henchy...in the summer of 2016; long before the rumors started getting picked up. So I trust it fully.
You are avoiding the context of what was going on between Roy and Sakic at the time.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You are avoiding the context of what was going on between Roy and Sakic at the time.

Do you mean their falling out? Cause if Joe had gone along with what Roy wanted that offseason, we don't know that they would have still fallen out. Not getting a blueliner in the draft or doing anything to fix the blueline in the offseason, was a big part of what drove that wedge between them.
Been working ok of late.

3 playoff appearances in 12 years is ok with you?

Last edited:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Do you mean their falling out? Cause if Joe had gone along with what Roy wanted that offseason, we don't know that they would have still fallen out. Not getting a blueliner in the draft or any help in the offseason, was a big part of what drove that wedge between them.
Roy did want to get rid of a blueliner in the offseason and it sure as hell wasn't Nick Holden!

Glad they bit the bullet and got away from fighting the last war with a bunch of oversized stiffs
3 playoff appearances in 12 years is ok with you?
He's been GM for 6 and in full control for 3. Made a huge jump last year and call me crazy, but I'm optimistic about the talent pool going forward. Can't quite put my finger on it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Roy did want to get rid of a blueliner in the offseason and it sure as hell wasn't Nick Holden!

Glad they bit the bullet and got away from fighting the last war with a bunch of oversized stiffs

He's been GM for 6 and in full control for 3. Made a huge jump last year and call me crazy, but I'm optimistic about the talent pool going forward. Can't quite put my finger on it.

Roy wanted to add to the blueline, not take away from it. I still don't get where the Roy hated Barrie myth came from, but no, Tyson wasn't the 2nd core-player trade that Roy had awaiting Joe's signature.

And "fighting the previous war"? Roy wanted to trade Duchene for a package built around Chabot, who's as modern as blueliners come, on top of keeping Barrie. Both he & Sakic made mistakes on the blueline early on, Joe with Stuart & Roy with Beauch. Doesn’t mean that Joe was the only one who learned from those mistakes.

Last edited:

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Just because you call his inaction a plan doesn’t mean it’s a good one :dunno:

It remains to be seen whether or not his plan is good or bad. He planted seeds which mostly look like they are growing well, and I don't think any of us is qualified to judge the harvest based on what the seedlings look like. I'm interested to see the first good harvest, in 2020-21. I'm cautiously optimistic that it might work out. I'm less optimistic about trades and UFAs producing results, after so many years of that failing, ultimately culminating in a 48 point season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad