Confirmed Trade: [FLA/COL] Derrick Brassard and a conditional 2020 6th round pick for 2020 3rd round pick

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
He is centering the 3rd line to start tonight. Avs without Nieto/Wilson tonight.

Kerfoot - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Soderberg - Compher
Jost - Brassard - Calvert
Andrighetto - Dries - Bourque

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Can some COL fans let us know where Brassard will slot into the lineup? Is Soderberg or Brassard the 2C?
Avs lines were in a blender for majority of the game, he played on every line at least once. He started off as a winger and finished the game as a centre. Brassard also went like 10-3 in the faceoffs which is a revelation for any Avs fan here (we are terrible in FO). He played surprisingly good considering he was at altitude and will need to get used to it. Offence skills are there, good ability to create plays, and solid IQ. He's always going to be a soft player so I don't expect him to win battles, but his shot looks lethal. He played majority of the game with Jost and Calvert which is either 2nd or 3rd depending on how bad they play and how good Soda's line is in the game.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
After seeing the rest of the deadline unfold...even in what looked like a real buyer's market in general, i still think this might've been the best sneaky good deal of the bunch for the Avs. A 2nd line C who can play on your 3rd line, for a 3rd a year from now? That's pretty slick. Not sure if it'll really be the tonic to take the Avs anywhere, but it's a great rental deal with potential to be more if he ends up fitting well. Colorado could certainly use some more depth up front.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
That’s crap. He was under intense pressure both internally and externally to get a deal done with his gym career being on the line. Snow flat out tried to bully him into making a deal. While the Sens collapse was a surprise it’s merely turned a great deal into a fantastic one.

This. Bowers, Kamenev and all 3 picks could turn into nothing, and I'm still decently happy with the trade. The Sens 1st is really just icing on the cake, from my point of view.

Duchene wanted out. That's the reality of the situation. In fact, there were HF prognosticators claiming that things were so bad that Duchene was going to sit out camp and maybe even the season. But, Sakic was able to find a way to get some of the pieces he wanted because he was patient. And the early results of the trade have been promising. Girard is a 20 year old, currently averaging about 20 minutes a game partnered with EJ, who doesn't really look out of place. Yes, he's still really young and is learning and growing which involves making mistakes, but this kid has performed extremely well thus far, and I'm excited to see what more he can become in the next couple of years.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You also can't let fear convince you that you have to do something stupidly risky because you're afraid that the long term plan won't work.
True, which is why I keep saying that bad moves are bad moves regardless of motivation. But flipping Kerfoot+2nd+ for Zucker and/or our 1st+Morrison+ for Hayes would not have been bad moves; while also being proactive moves that left less on Joe's plate for the summer :dunno:
That’s crap. He was under intense pressure both internally and externally to get a deal done with his gym career being on the line. Snow flat out tried to bully him into making a deal. While the Sens collapse was a surprise it’s merely turned a great deal into a fantastic one.

The package he ultimately got could still end up working out just as well (if not better) than the Chabot + Zibanejad + capspace for Radulov scenario that Joe had facing him in the summer of 2016*...but without Ottawa's collapse turning that pick into the centerpiece of the deal, I don't think we'd be able to say that. Love me some Girard, but Chabot is on another level. I like both Kam & Bowers as bottom 6 & potentially even middle 6 Center prospects, but if either of them ever reaches Zibby's level I will stfu about our dev staff for good. And if that pick was just a mid-to-late 1st, that wouldn't tilt those scales in favor of the package we did end up with -- even if we ignore the Radu dimension -- ya know?

*which admittedly came with a 2nd big trade that Sakic nixed, that was part of opening the cap space for Sasha. But if we're trying to follow all of the ripples of Joe's decisions that offseason as far as we can trace them; then we should also keep in mind that Roy was pushing heavily for us to draft a blueliner instead of Jost...with a pick at which both Chychrun & McAvoy were still available...

Last edited:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
True, which is why I keep saying that bad moves are bad moves regardless of motivation. But flipping Kerfoot+2nd+ for Zucker and/or our 1st+Morrison+ for Hayes would not have been bad moves; while also being proactive moves that left less on Joe's plate for the summer :dunno:

The package he ultimately got could still end up working out just as well (if not better) than the Chabot + Zibanejad + capspace for Radulov scenario that Joe had facing him in the summer of 2016*...but without Ottawa's collapse turning that pick into the centerpiece of the deal, I don't think we'd be able to say that. Love me some Girard, but Chabot is on another level. I like both Kam & Bowers as bottom 6 & potentially even middle 6 Center prospects, but if either of them ever reaches Zibby's level I will **** about our dev staff for good. And if that pick was just a mid-to-late 1st, that wouldn't tilt those scales in favor of the package we did end up with -- even if we ignore the Radu dimension -- ya know?

*which admittedly came with a 2nd big trade that Sakic nixed, that was part of opening the cap space for Sasha. But if we're trying to follow all of the ripples of Joe's decisions that offseason as far as we can trace them; then we should also keep in mind that Roy was pushing heavily for us to draft a blueliner instead of Jost...with a pick at which both Chychrun & McAvoy were still available...

Was there actually a report from a legitimate source Sakic turned down the Chabot + Zibby trade? I thought that was always a rumor.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
After seeing the rest of the deadline unfold...even in what looked like a real buyer's market in general, i still think this might've been the best sneaky good deal of the bunch for the Avs. A 2nd line C who can play on your 3rd line, for a 3rd a year from now? That's pretty slick. Not sure if it'll really be the tonic to take the Avs anywhere, but it's a great rental deal with potential to be more if he ends up fitting well. Colorado could certainly use some more depth up front.

This issue in Pittsburgh was that he couldn't play on the third line. Hope he turns it around. I've always been a fan of Brassard.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Was there actually a report from a legitimate source Sakic turned down the Chabot + Zibby trade? I thought that was always a rumor.

Pretty sure AJ & co talked about it after the eventual Duchene trade actually went through, officially confirming that that offer had been on the table previously. But I first heard that from a few different folks...and not just Henchy...in the summer of 2016; long before the rumors started getting picked up. So I trust it fully.

Last edited:

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

I don't think that there's nearly as much on Joe's plate for this summer as you'd like there to be. I think we're still looking at another year of letting this group of youngsters grow and develop before any major decisions or moves are made. And there's enough young talent on the roster that we should be able to replace Wilson, Bourque and Nemeth without signing any UFAs, and Francouz could be an internal replacement for Varly. This also frees Joe up to focus on signing our high value RFAs (Rantanen, Zadorov and Compher) to long term, team friendly contracts.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't think that there's nearly as much on Joe's plate for this summer as you'd like there to be. I think we're still looking at another year of letting this group of youngsters grow and develop before any major decisions or moves are made. And there's enough young talent on the roster that we should be able to replace Wilson, Bourque and Nemeth without signing any UFAs, and Francouz could be an internal replacement for Varly. This also frees Joe up to focus on signing our high value RFAs (Rantanen, Zadorov and Compher) to long term, team friendly contracts.

We need to re-sign Rantanen, Zadorov, Compher, Kamenev & Greer; work out an extension with Barrie; sort out the goalie situation; and after that Joe still needs to add a 2nd scoring line (or an elite #1 blueliner). Not to mention navigating a draft that we still have 5 top 100 picks in.

...that's not exactly a light summer...

Last edited:

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
We need to re-sign Rantanen, Zadorov, Compher, Kamenev & Greer; work out an extension with Barrie; sort out the goalie situation; and after that Joe still needs to add a 2nd scoring line (or an elite #1 blueliner).

...that's not exactly a light summer...

No, he's not going to be able to play golf every day. But, sorting out the goalie situation could be as simple as signing Francouz to another year and giving him a shot, and adding the 2nd scoring line could potentially be just adding Hughes-Kaut-Bowers to the NHL roster, along with Makar as a potential elite #1 blueliner. There's no real pressing need to look outside the organization and sign a big name UFA or make a big trade (as I'm sure you'll want him to do), meaning Sakic can focus on signing our RFAs (and Francouz) and getting Barrie extended.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
No, he's not going to be able to play golf every day. But, sorting out the goalie situation could be as simple as signing Francouz to another year and giving him a shot, and adding the 2nd scoring line could potentially be just adding Hughes-Kaut-Bowers to the NHL roster, along with Makar as a potential elite #1 blueliner. There's no real pressing need to look outside the organization and sign a big name UFA or make a big trade (as I'm sure you'll want him to do), meaning Sakic can focus on signing our RFAs (and Francouz) and getting Barrie extended.

If Sakic is actually willing to bank next season on Frank solving our goaltending woes...without even seeing him start in the NHL for even a week...and on Kaut, Bowers & a teenager solving our secondary scoring woes next year; he needs to be fired ASAFP. That would be beyond negligent.

Last edited:
Reactions: tucker3434

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
If Sakic is actually willing to bank next season on Frank solving our goaltending woes...without even seeing him start in the NHL for even a week...and on Kaut, Bowers & a teenager solving our secondary scoring woes next year; he needs to be fired ASAFP. That would be beyond negligent.

No, that would be continuing to follow the long term plan and building the team through the draft/youth. Just because you don't understand the plan doesn't mean that following it is "negligent".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->