Confirmed Trade: [FLA/COL] Derrick Brassard and a conditional 2020 6th round pick for 2020 3rd round pick

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Lol he was patient on Duchene and that is the reason we can be patient this year. We aren't winning the cup, why spend assets to make a run and possibly tie up cap space if we get players with term, Sakic has a plan and it's worked brilliantly. No teams that finish with 48 points total, make the playoffs the following year and continue to compete for a playoff spot even while in midst of a rebuild. We hold a guaranteed top 5 pick, our own first, an elite prospect in Makar who will be ready next year and a whole lot of cap room to sign some people up this summer. He's been great.

He was patient on the Duchene trade & that's the reason we have Girard, Kamenev, Bowers & a pick to dream about instead of Chabot, Zibanejad & the money to have signed Radulov when he first came back. So yeah...

Luckily that pick is looking like it will be high enough to bail Sakic out on that one, but nobody (including Sakic himself) expected that to be the case when the trade was made so I struggle to give him too much credit there. Ultimately, we're still in a good position if Joe is ready to step up this offseason & actually put a good team together.

...but that would be off-brand for him. Which is why some of us are skeptical that we'll see the kind of additions we need to start making actual progress after the past decade of futility...and instead expect more non-solutions like Brassard or Boedker; who fit Sakic's MO of low cost, low risk, & no reward.
Timmins will be an NHL defensemen. No doubt about that barring an explosion of his brain
*another explosion of his brain

...which isn't exactly unlikely if his skating doesn't improve...

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Many Pen fans just a short while ago demanding a 1st rd pick+ or Lowry from the Jets for him........3Rd pick is even lower value then I thought.

Reactions: shadow1

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
The Penguin Effect
I think you mean the opposite of the Penguin effect. Most players who come through here leave with a superior pedigree.

Ian Cole, Justin Schultz, Niskanen, James Neal, Hagelin, Daley to name a few.

Reactions: Meeqs

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
Can some COL fans let us know where Brassard will slot into the lineup? Is Soderberg or Brassard the 2C?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Can some COL fans let us know where Brassard will slot into the lineup? Is Soderberg or Brassard the 2C?

I'd say they're both likely to be "hybrid" 2/3 lines.

I think Brassard will play with Kerfoot and JT Compher while Soderberg will play with Landeskog and Jost. The Soda line likely faces tougher minutes while Brassard and his line will get more offensive opportunities.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
The return for Brassard was/is 100% irrelevant. He was never going to stay.

He served his purpose, which was to open up a roster spot and cap space for the summer. Getting a 3rd is a bonus.

Both teams won this trade. Colorado gets the help at a low risk and Florida got something for nothing.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Brassard's 5th team in 3 years. i've never seen a player move teams as much as this guy.

technically it's five teams in slightly over a calendar year.

Ottawa (Feb 23, 2018) -> Vegas (had to officially pass through Vegas to retain 40% of Brassard's salary) ->Pittsburgh -> Florida -> Colorado (Feb 25, 2019)

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

When everyone's healthy I'd be curious to see how the following lines worked out:

Ghetto* - MacK - Compher
Landy - Soderberg - Nieto
Jost - Brassard - Rantanen
Calvert - Kerfoot* - Wilson*

but what Pierce said, neither's really the 2C...Brassard is likely to see the softer & more offensive minutes/linemates, while Soda the tougher defensive ones, whether the big line gets reunited or Bednar keeps on blendering away.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
He was patient on the Duchene trade & that's the reason we have Girard, Kamenev, Bowers & a pick to dream about instead of Chabot, Zibanejad & the money to have signed Radulov when he first came back. So yeah...

Luckily that pick is looking like it will be high enough to bail Sakic out on that one, but nobody (including Sakic himself) expected that to be the case when the trade was made so I struggle to give him too much credit there. Ultimately, we're still in a good position if Joe is ready to step up this offseason & actually put a good team together.

...but that would be off-brand for him. Which is why some of us are skeptical that we'll see the kind of additions we need to start making actual progress after the past decade of futility...and instead expect more non-solutions like Brassard or Boedker; who fit Sakic's MO of low cost, low risk, & no reward.

*another explosion of his brain

...which isn't exactly unlikely if his skating doesn't improve...

Seeing someone else express this opinion on the Duchene trade is nice.

I think Sakic handled the entirety of the situation poorly and was bailed out by having another inexperienced GM in the right set of very unique circumstances to allow Sakic to get the package he needed to validate his previous poor handling of the trade as being an act of calculated "patience".

It's a problem where people judge something buy the results rather than the process, without realizing that luck and other external factors outside of a person's control can come into play and make it so the result is completely out of line with the process.

Reactions: Avs44

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

I think Sakic handled the entirety of the situation poorly and was bailed out by having another inexperienced GM in the right set of very unique circumstances to allow Sakic to get the package he needed to validate his previous poor handling of the trade as being an act of calculated "patience".

It's a problem where people judge something buy the results rather than the process, without realizing that luck and other external factors outside of a person's control can come into play and make it so the result is completely out of line with the process.

I would say that Sakic got the best return he could in that situation...after having f***ed around with a snowblower again to put us in that situation in the first place. Though we've been fortunate that the return has only gotten stronger with hindsight...to the point where it could still work out just as well as the earlier package that Joe passed on.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

That’s crap. He was under intense pressure both internally and externally to get a deal done with his gym career being on the line. Snow flat out tried to bully him into making a deal. While the Sens collapse was a surprise it’s merely turned a great deal into a fantastic one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad