Confirmed with Link: FLA acquires Sam Bennett and 6th rounder from CGY, for prospect Emil Heineman and 2nd rounder

Cricket Green

May 1, 2021
Longtime Cats fan. Ecstatic with the Bennett acquisition.

Anyone else get a Steve Larmer vibe from Benny? Like, high IQ, does everything well. Underrated skillset. Willing to fight and battle for pucks. Can play anywhere in the lineup and not look out of place. And they both have resting grouch face.

Larmer made Savard look good, and Benny is helping another super talented French Canadian.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015

Anyone else get a Steve Larmer vibe from Benny? Like, high IQ, does everything well. Underrated skillset. Willing to fight and battle for pucks. Can play anywhere in the lineup and not look out of place. And they both have resting grouch face.

Larmer made Savard look good, and Benny is helping another super talented French Canadian.

Welcome!

Rule #1: Never reveal your age.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
I don't get it haha!

Lol

He is saying that unless you are a hockey historian, that means you watched Larmer and understood what he was as a player placing you around the teens or 20s in the 80s.

So you must be in your 50's currently

Lol yeah I was just joking. Steve Larmer is very old school, so I just assumed you were old like me.

But yeah I agree. I’m stoked to have Bennett.

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002

Larmer may be a tough comparison here, as some people do not approve of long games played streaks.

Reactions: austropanther

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
A tiny correction, some people don’t appreciate long streaks of games played like shit...
Someone has said that long streaks mean you don't sacrifice yourself enough for the team. Maybe it was nonsense to specifically whine about Yandle, but I will give the poster the benefit of the doubt.

Cricket Green

May 1, 2021
Someone has said that long streaks mean you don't sacrifice yourself enough for the team.

That person never saw Larmer play. Larmer is the rightful holder of the ironman streak. It was only broken because Bill Wirtz wanted to play hardball with a Hawks legend and fan favorite. Took a holdout and trade before Larmer could play again, and then immediately won the Cup.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Someone has said that long streaks mean you don't sacrifice yourself enough for the team. Maybe it was nonsense to specifically whine about Yandle, but I will give the poster the benefit of the doubt.
Oh no, only Yandle’s long streak has meant that. Only soft KY jelly has played that way.

Honestly: the mistake you make here is to assume that people hate Yandle for some dumb personal reason or something else outside of his hockey game. I am virtually positive that the only Yandle “hate” you see is how he plays on ice right now. If he starts playing like I think he’s actually capable of, I for one am going to shut up and sing his praises. Just can’t see that switch happening.

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
That person never saw Larmer play. Larmer is the rightful holder of the ironman streak. It was only broken because Bill Wirtz wanted to play hardball with a Hawks legend and fan favorite. Took a holdout and trade before Larmer could play again, and then immediately won the Cup.
Back then I was into the Rangers so I enjoyed the fallout of the situation, but that is no way to treat a veteran player. Luckily the Panthers appear to be handling this situation better.

Reactions: harv33173

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Oh no, only Yandle’s long streak has meant that. Only soft KY jelly has played that way.

Honestly: the mistake you make here is to assume that people hate Yandle for some dumb personal reason or something else outside of his hockey game. I am virtually positive that the only Yandle “hate” you see is how he plays on ice right now. If he starts playing like I think he’s actually capable of, I for one am going to shut up and sing his praises. Just can’t see that switch happening.
Agreed, it's the level of play that dictates how fans react to players.
I don't think he's capable of playing at a really high level anymore. He's really slow lately. He does intentionally avoid hit and it leads to bad play, but I can't see him moving like molasses intentionally. Gudas and him look cook out there, I hope we get a long break before the playoffs.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Agreed, it's the level of play that dictates how fans react to players.
I don't think he's capable of playing at a really high level anymore. He's really slow lately. He does intentionally avoid hit and it leads to bad play, but I can't see him moving like molasses intentionally. Gudas and him look cook out there, I hope we get a long break before the playoffs.
Maybe we’ll all be surprised and Yandle goes into playoffs with a fire not seen for seven years!

Reactions: RogerRoger

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Can we not derail this thread with Keith Yan-shit talk.

This about Sam Bennett who is brimming with positivity.

Yandle is obviously either baby-ing his play to prolong his streak or he fell off a cliff and became a bottom 10 dman in the league. Either he f***ing sucks for taking streak over team or flat out playing like dogshit.

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
not to pipe in late but I’m in my mid-20’s and I know all about how good Steve larmer was. Granted I grew up constantly being educated on Blackhawks lore as well as playing ungodly amounts of NHL 94, but I digress.

Bennett was exactly what we needed down the middle. Aside from barkov our center depth felt like it was missing something.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
not to pipe in late but I’m in my mid-20’s and I know all about how good Steve larmer was. Granted I grew up constantly being educated on Blackhawks lore as well as playing ungodly amounts of NHL 94, but I digress.

Bennett was exactly what we needed down the middle. Aside from barkov our center depth felt like it was missing something.
Yep: we knew it was weak to start the season. I thought Wennberg did as well as he could and frankly there weren’t better options. I also think we benefit from having three lines that can score right now

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
So Bennett has more points in nine games with us than in the 38 games with Calgary this year and the 52 games the year before. Also is in the + column of the +/- for the first time in his NHL career.
I don't know what it is, hot streak, change of scenery, rediscovered confidence, great fit and chemistry... We won't know for sure until next year I guess. Right now it's freaking awesome :)

5 Hole

Oct 2, 2011
Woodbine, GA
I don't know what it is, hot streak, change of scenery, rediscovered confidence, great fit and chemistry... We won't know for sure until next year I guess. Right now it's freaking awesome :)
As a long time Panthers fan, I’m so used to seeing this play out when guys go the other way. It’s incredibly refreshing being on this side of the deal.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Cullen was a throw-in in the Ozo deal, was a dime a dozen 3rd liner with Florida, and didnt hit his stride until he of course got to his next stop: Carolina
I know, my point was not too many forwards have career years here then better themselves elsewhere.

The poster was saying thats what he was used to seeing. Most guys nose dive or stay the same at best after leaving here.

Cricket Green

May 1, 2021
I know, my point was not too many forwards have career years here then better themselves elsewhere.

The poster was saying thats what he was used to seeing. Most guys nose dive or stay the same at best after leaving here.

I read it as the poster trying to think of players who significantly improved after joining Florida, like Bennett. Cullen did f*** all with Florida. Whitney, though, is a great example. In retrospect, seeing how Ray turned out, it's crazy to think that Florida saved his career, as he was plucked off the waiver trash heap from Edmonton. I was sad though to read stories of what a POS person he is. But i guess it isnt surprising since he probably had a pat falloon chip on his shoulder.

All that said, i think Bennett is going to make beating Florida in the playoffs a nightmare. Its no coincidence that only Barkov has been getting more icetime among our forwards. Knowing youll have to deal with either Bennett or Barkov for at least 40 minutes a night is going to be hellish for opponents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad