Post-Game Talk: FLA 3 - VAN 1 | Oh we're bad again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Eh. The Stanley Cup Playoffs aren't this magical realm where anything can happen. Sure, they can but teams don't win the Cup on accident. The Kings were probably the best 8th seed since Chicago the year prior and past that, probably Oilers in '06.

Good teams win in the playoffs. I'm just as fine wanting to make the playoffs and trying to win more than 1 game, but we should consider ourselves extremely ****ing lucky to win 4 games. I'd rather not have this guise of 'anything happens in the playoffs, that's why we are still trying to ice a good team'. That's not really it, for me, it's that I want to re-whatever in a positive setting where winning games and 100% effort is encouraged rather than "Oh well, we lost our first 5 games this season. Let's get McDavid and have him try and get our sorry ass to the playoffs next season." That is not a winning organization.

What guys like Trevor did for the Sedins, the Sedins must become for the Horvat and Virtanen's of the future. Breed leadership and accountability and pass it on to the next generation. This is no doubt a transitional year, but why not try our best. Everyone was so gung-ho on being the next Detroit in '08, what happened to that?

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I'm certainly not advocating a tank, but I think even the true-believers will admit that the heard needs to be thinned a bit, especially the overpopulated Thirdlinus Wingus..

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
The coach sat higgins tonight, absolutely beautiful move and who needs to rest until matthias goes a few more games being invisible.

Bieksa needs to be waived. Iam confide t corrado can play better

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Sorry, I meant to add above-

You are right, as long as the sedins are around we will likely be competitive. That isn't a bad thing. But that shouldn't stop us from trying to stockpile picks, which needs to be the main long term objective. Succession must be the long term goal, not winning a cup with this group, unfortunately.. In a deeper draft like the 2015 draft is supposed to be, quantity is likely better than quality. no need to tank, just add another 1st round pick, and make out like Anaheim did in 2003. 2 picks in the 15-31 range of this years draft could be a franchise changer.

I completely agree with the first part. Stockpiling picks and prospects should absolutely be the emphasis, while still competing now. I don't think you'll find many who would argue otherwise...picks and young players are what this team needs, not dealing those sort of pieces for a playoff push this year. And the way Benning has discussed this stuff, it seems to be the direction he's heading as well.

But there's a big difference between just adding picks and prospects as we can while still competing...and the sort of "trade everything that's not bolted down and then some" sort of "tanking" nonsense that was suggested in the post i was replying to.

I don't necessarily really agree with the 2nd part of that though. I'm not convinced that the potential "greatness" of this draft is in the overall "depth" in the same way many people seem to be applying it. For me, the strength of this draft looks to be the insane "depth" of top end talent at the very top, right now at least (where we're projecting from right now). Ie. The 1-20ish range. In some respects, i think last year's draft might end up being the "deeper" draft, as evidenced by a guy like the much vaunted Barbashev going in the 2nd round. There wasn't the marquee "franchise changer" talent at the very top and there wasn't an overabundance of likely "1st line star" projections in the top-10...but there were a ton of real nice "1st round talent" type prospects spanning well into the 2nd round.

I mean, that said...more 1st round picks would be better. More picks in general is always better. But at what cost? That's what you have to weigh. Extra 1st round picks aren't free.

Some people just seem to have a radical "in or out" black and white mentality towards team building that seems very bipolar and detached from reality.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
We are 8-8 in the last 16. Interesting stat.

And we're the exact same 5-4-1 as the Ducks and Sharks in the last 10, and better with the same pts as the 4-3-3 Kings.

You can pick and chose samples to illustrate all kinds of things. Interesting stats.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Top line is gassed. This is a trend. It won't be getting better.

Defense is a mediocre unit when healthy and is over-taxed with an injury (any injury!).

Goaltending has been a bright spot but they aren't stealing any games.

Desjardins has done great things but the team likes to ignore alarmed coaches. As things continue to degenerate rookie Coach Desjardins will become more desperate. Eventually he will pop off and the vets will dismiss him. This is the team's modus operandi.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Henrik Sedin can't win faceoffs and is slow moving up the ice. Would anyone think moving Henrik Sedin to the wing could be an interesting thing to do? He can still control the puck behind the net, but moving up and down the ice at centre seems to be killing play.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Henrik Sedin can't win faceoffs and is slow moving up the ice. Would anyone think moving Henrik Sedin to the wing could be an interesting thing to do? He can still control the puck behind the net, but moving up and down the ice at centre seems to be killing play.

And play who at center? Henrik is still vastly superior to every other center we have. So even if I agreed with trying him on the wing - and for the record, I don't - it's a moot point regardless.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Eh. The Stanley Cup Playoffs aren't this magical realm where anything can happen. Sure, they can but teams don't win the Cup on accident. The Kings were probably the best 8th seed since Chicago the year prior and past that, probably Oilers in '06.

Good teams win in the playoffs. I'm just as fine wanting to make the playoffs and trying to win more than 1 game, but we should consider ourselves extremely ****ing lucky to win 4 games. I'd rather not have this guise of 'anything happens in the playoffs, that's why we are still trying to ice a good team'. That's not really it, for me, it's that I want to re-whatever in a positive setting where winning games and 100% effort is encouraged rather than "Oh well, we lost our first 5 games this season. Let's get McDavid and have him try and get our sorry ass to the playoffs next season." That is not a winning organization.

What guys like Trevor did for the Sedins, the Sedins must become for the Horvat and Virtanen's of the future. Breed leadership and accountability and pass it on to the next generation. This is no doubt a transitional year, but why not try our best. Everyone was so gung-ho on being the next Detroit in '08, what happened to that?

This.

I get the feeling that people think we can just make the playoffs and all of a sudden somehow this core will turn into a good one and things will happen. Let's say this: before last season simply making the playoffs was never good enough. So how come now it is? Why do people want to make the playoffs at all costs just to lose in the first round?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
And we're the exact same 5-4-1 as the Ducks and Sharks in the last 10, and better with the same pts as the 4-3-3 Kings.

You can pick and chose samples to illustrate all kinds of things. Interesting stats.

If I'm not mistaken, the Ducks Fenwick is quite weak too. They're likely to also regress.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
And play who at center? Henrik is still vastly superior to every other center we have. So even if I agreed with trying him on the wing - and for the record, I don't - it's a moot point regardless.

But he doesn't have to be better than Henrik at centre. Henrik on the wing with whoever at centre just has to be better than Henrik at centre with Vrbata or Burrows on the wing which at the moment isn't super effective.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
This.

I get the feeling that people think we can just make the playoffs and all of a sudden somehow this core will turn into a good one and things will happen. Let's say this: before last season simply making the playoffs was never good enough. So how come now it is? Why do people want to make the playoffs at all costs just to lose in the first round?

Because you want to maintain a winning environment. Unless you're getting a generational talent, tanking is for idiots. The team makes money in the playoffs, the city gets excited, the young players gain experience. There is plenty to gain from making the playoffs.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Because you want to maintain a winning environment. Unless you're getting a generational talent, tanking is for idiots. The team makes money in the playoffs, the city gets excited, the young players gain experience. There is plenty to gain from making the playoffs.

Worked out real well for the Leafs and Flames...

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Worked out real well for the Leafs and Flames...

The trick is actually making the playoffs regularly... Point is you try to win, every year, unless the stars align and you are in a position to get a special player and/or Mario Lemiuex owns your team. It's about being consistantly successful.

Anyway, Canucks looked like they ran out of energy. Long season and Florida not as bad as people think, a lot of hard workers. Happy for Luongo to come into Vancouver and get the win.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i mean, who really knows? nashville gets suter and weber with two of their first three picks. but LA goes brown, boyle, and tambellini with their three first rounders. it's not just stockpiling picks; you have to have the scouts too.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
It's not, oh we're bad again.

We're a mediocre team that's been lucky to have barely any injuries, except one major one.

every other team in the nhl would take our amount of injuries this season over theirs.

7-7-2 in our last sixteen.. as soon as the injury bug hits.. good god

I tend to agree with this as depressing as it is. Right around this time last year we lost Henrik and Santorelli to injury and then the wheels came off. If this team lost just one of henrik or Bonino I think it would tumble hard. It's also been a miracle that we've only had one major injury to our defense this year. Usually we are playing our 8th or 9th dman by now.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
This.

Might be a discussion for another thread, but I'd say as Year 1 of a "reload", making the playoffs would be a solid objective. We've had two consecutive years of top 10 picks in the draft (and two first rounders in each of the last two drafts). If you want the players you draft for, trade for, and go after in free agency to find you an attractive destination to play in and stay in, you need to foster a winning culture (i.e.--not Edmonton)

The team we have now certainly has holes and flaws, there's no denying that. But given where expectations were at before the season, I think the on-ice result has been pretty promising thus far when taking a multi-year picture into account.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
You guys know the team is going to lose games, right?

The manic highs and lows here are absolutely hilarious.

Take a step back from the ledge and ask: is this team better positioned than we thought they'd be heading into the season?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
As for last night's game, I don't even think it was a case of the team being bad/terrible/etc. That was just one of the worst efforts I've seen them put forth. This team has lost plenty of games where they haven't given up, have still tried, etc. - I can tolerate those losses. Losses like last night leave a bitter taste in my mouth because it seems like they just didn't give a damn outside of one or two shifts.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
As for last night's game, I don't even think it was a case of the team being bad/terrible/etc. That was just one of the worst efforts I've seen them put forth. This team has lost plenty of games where they haven't given up, have still tried, etc. - I can tolerate those losses. Losses like last night leave a bitter taste in my mouth because it seems like they just didn't give a damn outside of one or two shifts.

The crowd was cheering for the other team's goalie… and booing the home team. I think they thought that's what the crowd wanted to see.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
The crowd was cheering for the other team's goalie… and booing the home team. I think they thought that's what the crowd wanted to see.

They earned the boos last night. They stunk and were fortunate to only lose by two.

Oh well, we move on and get the next one. The Loungo hooplah has subsided and the team (and us fans) can focus on Canucks hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad