Post-Game Talk: FLA 3 - VAN 1 | Oh we're bad again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Oh, and Bieksa as the lone man on the point with a 4-forward pp setup is just asking for a shg against. Utterly facepalm worthy. Guaranteed to bite the team in the ass if they keep doing it.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
That 2nd round Keith tho

Who did they draft with the lottery pick? I can't even remember anymore...

anyways, case in point, really. You can get lucky in the draft, you can tank for an Ekblad, or you can bite the bullet and trade for one (Pronger comes to mind. Anyone remember the package?)

And as I mentioned, I don't think any of our current D prospects are "that guy". They are showing progression, but not a trajectory that would indicate #1 potential. Several guys look like they have the makings of a top 4 kind of guy - more Bieksas and Hamhuises, Tanevs and MAYBE Edlers.

:dunno:

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver

anyways, case in point, really. You can get lucky in the draft, you can tank for an Ekblad, or you can bite the bullet and trade for one (Pronger comes to mind. Anyone remember the package?)

And as I mentioned, I don't think any of our current D prospects are "that guy". They are showing progression, but not a trajectory that would indicate #1 potential. Several guys look like they have the makings of a top 4 kind of guy - more Bieksas and Hamhuises, Tanevs and MAYBE Edlers.

Yeah no, we certainly don't really have a game changer in the system defenseman-wise, you're right.

Hutton with a long shot if he pans out and maaaaybe Forsling if he develops well.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site

And thats the thing, how many years will we need to wait for our scouting staff to get lucky....

tanking is more of a sure thing. I know it sucks to lose for a while. But if we didnt suck and get to pick Henrik and Daniel Sedin #2 and #3 overall, we would not have the cup run.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

Brent Seabrook? Not as good as Keith though. **** that guy.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Yeah no, we certainly don't really have a game changer in the system defenseman-wise, you're right.

Hutton with a long shot if he pans out and maaaaybe Forsling if he develops well.

Even those guys need to take serious leaps.

Forsling, I think, will amount to a Sami Salo level, if you ask me. I think he's going to have to resort to a positional style of defence because of his size (much like Tanev, and Salo before him), and ... dat shot.

I'm looking forward to what Forsling may give us, for sure.
I really wish there was more coverage on Hutton, as I actually know very little about him. I certainly hope we end up with a top 4 guy at least.

There's also the wildcard in Tryamkin. I think he is the D man in our system who is flat out Boom-Bust. If he transitions well into the NA scene, we could have something - though again I know so little. He's just a big guy who skates well. Maybe the skill and IQ will come (I don't know, maybe it's already there somewhat?)

We'll have to see what the cat drags in at the 2015 draft. I would really like to see some picks in the top 3 rounds spent on D men this year. I think we have a whole slew of forwards who may or may not make it. A couple high profile guys would be good to add, but I really want to see some promising D-men in the system. Someone who is capable of pushing at the heels of Bieksa and Hamhuis. Tanev did it, and we didn't even draft him. Corrado is stagnating... what can I say?

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
And thats the thing, how many years will we need to wait for our scouting staff to get lucky....

tanking is more of a sure thing. I know it sucks to lose for a while. But if we didnt suck and get to pick Henrik and Daniel Sedin #2 and #3 overall, we would not have the cup run.

I'm not participating in any discussion involving the Canucks tanking.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
It's not, oh we're bad again.

We're a mediocre team that's been lucky to have barely any injuries, except one major one.

every other team in the nhl would take our amount of injuries this season over theirs.

7-7-2 in our last sixteen.. as soon as the injury bug hits.. good god

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Even those guys need to take serious leaps.

Forsling, I think, will amount to a Sami Salo level, if you ask me. I think he's going to have to resort to a positional style of defence because of his size (much like Tanev, and Salo before him), and ... dat shot.

I'm looking forward to what Forsling may give us, for sure.
I really wish there was more coverage on Hutton, as I actually know very little about him. I certainly hope we end up with a top 4 guy at least.

There's also the wildcard in Tryamkin. I think he is the D man in our system who is flat out Boom-Bust. If he transitions well into the NA scene, we could have something - though again I know so little. He's just a big guy who skates well. Maybe the skill and IQ will come (I don't know, maybe it's already there somewhat?)

We'll have to see what the cat drags in at the 2015 draft. I would really like to see some picks in the top 3 rounds spent on D men this year. I think we have a whole slew of forwards who may or may not make it. A couple high profile guys would be good to add, but I really want to see some promising D-men in the system. Someone who is capable of pushing at the heels of Bieksa and Hamhuis. Tanev did it, and we didn't even draft him. Corrado is stagnating... what can I say?

Tryamkin could end up becoming a Sustr type player, which isn't boom or bust.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Tryamkin could end up becoming a Sustr type player, which isn't boom or bust.

I would probably be happy with that. I'm just glad we can talk about our prospects with excitement but tempered expectations. Enough hitting it big or not, I just want NHL players from round 2-7. I think the last player we drafted to play for us past the 2nd round is Edler like 11 ******* years ago.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is all.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Pretty solid first period, then an awful performance the crest of the way. Poor compete level, poor execution, abysmal PP.

Luongo was terrific in his return. Not happy about this game but pleased for him.

- Miller was OK. Least of our problems tonight.

- Tanev-Edler were good again 5-on-5. Edler was craptacular on the PP, though. Simply not a first-unit guy.

- Bieksa-Stanton were good. On for 2 goals but one was a beauty seeing-eye deflection and one was on a brain implosion by Sbisa. Bieksa skated as well tonight as he has all year, and had some decent early PP shifts before being awful on the long late PP.

- Sbisa is garbage. Would be happy if he was waived. Just a junk player. Brings nothing to the table. Sadly, when Hamhuis comes back it'll be the competent Weber going to the pressbox.

- Sedins scored early and then were awful the rest of the night. Garbage perimeter play, no intensity. Burrows was ok and worked hard.

- 2nd line was awful. Vrbata was atrocious, worst game as a Canuck. All kinds of turnovers, putrid effort, nothing positive about his game tonight. Bonino not much better. Vey looked small and feeble but at least completed some passes.

- 3rd line wasn't great but was probably our best. Richardson was probably our best forward. Kassian had moments and a few nice passes but was too soft on the puck in his own zone. Matthias looks really impressive skating into the corner and killing the play, needs to take the puck to hard areas.

- Horvat had a good game. Hansen was mediocre and Dorsett was invisible aside from goalmouth scrums and a dumb penalty.

PP just killed us. Get 1 goal and maybe we can make a late push to get a result. Having no point options is killing us and that 5-on-3 was just painful.

King of Anarchy

Sep 30, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
The team was.. whatever.. but honestly, that may have been my favourite game to attend live. I've seen a few clips of the ovations Louie got and all of them combined don't come close to relaying the actual noise in Rogers Arena tonight.

Special night. Dud result. LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
The team was.. whatever.. but honestly, that may have been my favourite game to attend live. I've seen a few clips of the ovations Louie got and all of them combined don't come close to relaying the actual noise in Rogers Arena tonight.

Special night. Dud result. LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

While the Lu love was cool to be a part of.. Definitely not my fav live game.

Game 1 vs bruins il take

Or bettuzzi Moore night

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Yes I like the Forsling pick. And I like how Benning is smart enough not to trade our 1st. This team is simply not good enough to trade 1st rounders for a cup push.

Edmonton and Toronto failed to rebuild does not mean its the rule. Pittsburg, Chicago and to a certain extent LA are mostly riding their sucesses on top 5 picks.

If we can find elite players in the later rounds, sure. But our scouting is barely average.

When the sedins hang it up, we are done. If we tank and trade the vets at the deadline, at least we can stock pile more picks.

Vrbata for a 1st hopefully, higgins, bieksa, all need to go.

Ideally, the twins too.

This is just wildly delusional. A team sitting in a divisional playoff seed is not going to blow it up, trade the entire core and "tank" the last half of a season. :laugh: Ignoring the fact that none of these guys can be moved...even if Benning went down whatever crazy avenue you're suggesting. And even if you could...you're talking about blowing up a playoff team to potentially move up maybe 10 picks in the draft? We're literally 22pts up on the top "tanking team". 22pts. 11 wins up...the Oilers only have 9 wins halfway through the season. If the Oilers double their wins and we were to lose every single game for the entire rest of the season somehow...they'd still finish worse. The scale of "tanking teams" sucktitude is absolutely immense and completely out of reach for this team even if you were to legitimately want to try it out of some ridiculous naive impatience.

But the biggest issue with this whole silly "tanking" argument, is the bolded.

When the Sedins hang 'em up...if we are indeed "done" at that point and haven't stumbled upon any kind of real replacements, that is when you do your "tanking" and accumulating top-5 picks. That is when you have a team which is truly inadequate enough to accrue top prospects and lottery picks like you're talking about with the Penguins/Blackhawks/Kings.

I don't understand why some people are in such a massive rush to watch a horrendous team...when the group right now is looking like they could very well punch themselves a ticket to the big dance...a tournament where you get in, and anything can happen. And knowing that down the road at some point...if the "Plan A" of building while competing doesn't work out, ultimately the "Plan B" is being horrible and drafting lottery picks because you have no choice.

And there's absolutely nothing "certain" about tanking guaranteeing success. Far more "rebuilds" fail by your standard of "winning the cup" than the 3 listed there which have succeeded. Those aren't very good odds, and a long ways from any kind of "certainty" or "most likely path to success".

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
This is just wildly delusional. A team sitting in a divisional playoff seed is not going to blow it up, trade the entire core and "tank" the last half of a season. :laugh: Ignoring the fact that none of these guys can be moved...even if Benning went down whatever crazy avenue you're suggesting. And even if you could...you're talking about blowing up a playoff team to potentially move up maybe 10 picks in the draft? We're literally 22pts up on the top "tanking team". 22pthttps://secure.bcndp.org/drupal/user/passwords. 11 wins up...the Oilers only have 9 wins halfway through the season. If the Oilers double their wins and we were to lose every single game for the entire rest of the season somehow...they'd still finish worse. The scale of "tanking teams" sucktitude is absolutely immense and completely out of reach for this team even if you were to legitimately want to try it out of some ridiculous naive impatience.

But the biggest issue with this whole silly "tanking" argument, is the bolded.

When the Sedins hang 'em up...if we are indeed "done" at that point and haven't stumbled upon any kind of real replacements, that is when you do your "tanking" and accumulating top-5 picks. That is when you have a team which is truly inadequate enough to accrue top prospects and lottery picks like you're talking about with the Penguins/Blackhawks/Kings.

I don't understand why some people are in such a massive rush to watch a horrendous team...when the group right now is looking like they could very well punch themselves a ticket to the big dance...a tournament where you get in, and anything can happen. And knowing that down the road at some point...if the "Plan A" of building while competing doesn't work out, ultimately the "Plan B" is being horrible and drafting lottery picks because you have no choice.

And there's absolutely nothing "certain" about tanking guaranteeing success. Far more "rebuilds" fail by your standard of "winning the cup" than the 3 listed there which have succeeded. Those aren't very good odds, and a long ways from any kind of "certainty" or "most likely path to success".
Hawks Kings spent a decade or more in mediocrity and worse. That is what stockpiling now is meant to avoid. Penguins I wont acknowledge because they were given two franchise players in two shady circumstances.

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Hawks Kings spent a decade or more in mediocrity and worse. That is what stockpiling now is meant to avoid. Penguins I wont acknowledge because they were given two franchise players in two shady circumstances.

So, the plan there is to imitate those "successful" teams...by not doing what they did, and instead trying to take "shortcuts"? :huh:

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
So, the plan there is to imitate those "successful" teams...by not doing what they did, and instead trying to take "shortcuts"? :huh:

Sorry, I meant to add above-

You are right, as long as the sedins are around we will likely be competitive. That isn't a bad thing. But that shouldn't stop us from trying to stockpile picks, which needs to be the main long term objective. Succession must be the long term goal, not winning a cup with this group, unfortunately.. In a deeper draft like the 2015 draft is supposed to be, quantity is likely better than quality. no need to tank, just add another 1st round pick, and make out like Anaheim did in 2003. 2 picks in the 15-31 range of this years draft could be a franchise changer.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Bieksa is so not capable of being a top 4 dman anymore. And weber and sbisa have lost me.

we need defence big time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad