Proposal: Fix The Buffalo Sabres...

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
If the Panthers decided to sell high on Barkov now, Rangers would give a Lindros style haul for the privilege.
I mean:
2 1sts
Deangelo + Buch
can't do $ direct, but couple of trades cap favorable to FL

Cozens at this pt appears real, Mitt and Rein are not in that conversation.
Reinhart is not in what conversation?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
J-G Pageau was just traded for a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd and he has never scored 45 points.

He is a center, not a winger and there likely was some discussion pre trade on contract extension.

Tatar was the last winger traded for a 1-2-3 by vegas. He had I think 4-5 yrs left on a contract. The 1st was expected to be 25+

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
He's also not a winger and was being traded to a contender at the deadline.

Quite a bit different for a nonplayoff team to deal a top 10 pick for a winger. Your comp is seriously flawed.
As are the Sabres.
Whether you like Kapanen or not I think that the Sabres will be trading that pick.
Dahlin, Risto and Eichel all came out saying that they fed up with losing. Telling Eichel that they will keep that pick and hope for better results than Alex Nylander or Middlestadt will make him really question asking for a trade out of Buffalo.
Kapanen is a fantastic penalty killer, Sabres were second worst on PK , scored almost all his points either shorthanded or at 5 on 5 and is one of the fastest in the League, on a cheap contract for two more years after which he will still be an RFA if they can do better than him they should. They need to trade that pick for the best deal that they can. They need to make the playoffs next year.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
As are the Sabres.
Whether you like Kapanen or not I think that the Sabres will be trading that pick.
Dahlin, Risto and Eichel all came out saying that they fed up with losing. Telling Eichel that they will keep that pick and hope for better results than Alex Nylander or Middlestadt will make him really question asking for a trade out of Buffalo.
Kapanen is a fantastic penalty killer, Sabres were second worst on PK , scored almost all his points either shorthanded or at 5 on 5 and is one of the fastest in the League, on a cheap contract for two more years after which he will still be an RFA if they can do better than him they should. They need to trade that pick for the best deal that they can. They need to make the playoffs next year.
Sounds like the kind of guy a team that's going to get bounced out of the playoffs early could use.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Sounds like the kind of guy a team that's going to get bounced out of the playoffs early could use.
Yes, but can't afford.
No Leaf fan wants to trade away Kapanen, they just
can't afford to keep him and he has the most value so...

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Under normal circumstances he'd want a top 5 pick, he's willing to settle for 8th overall. :laugh:

Hfboards over valuing picks again?
How are Nylander (gone) and Middlestad looking?
Kapanen is far more valuable than either.
Isn't the goal here to improve the broken Buffalo Sabres before they lose any more players like O'Reilly because they aren't improving.
Eichel's best years are being wasted and he doesn't sound like waiting around for three more years for yet another 8OA pick to hopefully amount to something is somethng he is willing to do.
If they can do better with that pick than Kapanen then they should do it, but if they select that pick they will just be making it that much easier for Eichel to ask to be traded.

Reactions: BurnEmUp

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
First and foremost, identify who you want to move forward with (and stuck with) - Eichel, Dahlin, Reinhart, Skinner (contract), etc.

Move assets for what you can that arent pieces for you moving forward.

Hopefully for currency like prospects a and picks. These are always useful for trades down the road or to draft.

Find a true #1 goalie.

Look for players with 1. Talent 2. Character 3. Leadership 4. Grit 5. Size in the draft, trade and fa.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Hfboards over valuing picks again?
How are Nylander (gone) and Middlestad looking?
Kapanen is far more valuable than either.
Isn't the goal here to improve the broken Buffalo Sabres before they lose any more players like O'Reilly because they aren't improving.
Eichel's best years are being wasted and he doesn't sound like waiting around for three more years for yet another 8OA pick to hopefully amount to something is somethng he is willing to do.
If they can do better with that pick than Kapanen then they should do it, but if they select that pick they will just be making it that much easier for Eichel to ask to be traded.
First off they didn't lose O'Reilly because they weren't improving. They thought the lockerroom needed a shakeup and foolishly he was the sacrificial lamb. Nylander is immensely talented, but I just didn't see the drive or urgency in his game on the ice in his time in Buffalo, hopefully playing with some vets that have had success in Chicago will straighten him out. Regardless the pick always should have been Sergachev it was a no brainer, but Murray tended to avoid Russians. That was obviously the wrong pick. Mittlestadt was rushed, and a lot of that had to do with the O'Reilly trade. The repercussions of that deal will be felt for years to come. He could still succeed, but time is certainly running out. Both of those players were picked by GM's that are no longer here. Just because they swung and missed (potentially) it shouldn't affect the way a new GM and scouting staff approach the value of a high pick like that.
There are a multitude of ways to improve the team without moving that pick, although I wouldn't be opposed to moving it in the right deal. The Sabres are in a good position this offseason to use their cap space as a weapon. That should be the approach, not a desperation trade like Kapanen for a top 10 pick.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
First and foremost, identify who you want to move forward with (and stuck with) - Eichel, Dahlin, Reinhart, Skinner (contract), etc.

Move assets for what you can that arent pieces for you moving forward.

Hopefully for currency like prospects a and picks. These are always useful for trades down the road or to draft.

Find a true #1 goalie.

Look for players with 1. Talent 2. Character 3. Leadership 4. Grit 5. Size in the draft, trade and fa.

so find the perfect player(s)?

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
If the Panthers decided to sell high on Barkov now, Rangers would give a Lindros style haul for the privilege.
I mean:
2 1sts
Deangelo + Buch
can't do $ direct, but couple of trades cap favorable to FL

Cozens at this pt appears real, Mitt and Rein are not in that conversation.
You think your Rangers package is better than the one I offered?

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Prior management got flamethrower'd (well earned, especially Botts), so I guess we'll see.

It could also be a level up (owners).
Owners were def what I was getting at. Sabres problem with Pegula is similar to the Knicks problem with Dolan.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
Couple UFA/trade targets that i'd think help the sabres.

J.Anderson
Jenner
Raanta
Georgiev
Monahan
bennet
copp
haula
edmundson
Dillon
maroon
saad