Proposal: Fix The Buffalo Sabres...

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
I know this is pie-in-the-sky stuff here, but I would love to see fans of other teams offer their thoughts.

What should the Buffalo Sabres do to become a better team on the ice?

Don't say trade Jack Eichel, that's not happening...and it doesn't make them better.

If can be anything from free agency and trades, to the draft, to hiring Rick Dudley.

I just want to see what other people think would help this team.

Should they trade Reinhart? He is Eichel's best friend. Can't imagine that would make him happy.

What should they do in goal? Should they trade Ristolainen AND Montour? Should they buy-out Okposo?

Should Dylan Cozens be given the 2C job as a rookie? Should he even be in the lineup?

Should they keep any of their UFA's like Larsson, Girgensons, Simmonds, or Vesey?

I'd love a legit conversation.

Have at it!

(I didn't know what "prefix" to use...I hope "proposal" is a fair representation for this post.)

Reactions: egelband

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Find a play making second line C to make jeff skinner less useless.
trade Reinhart + for him.
Trade Ristolainen To the oilers for Kris Russel + Matt Benning + C prospect.

Reactions: Rebels57

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
They can't be fixed in one off season there are to many holes. They need a REAL #1 goalie you can't win with 2 backups.

They need not just a #2 center but a #3 and #4 as well, and I'm not talking about Dylan Cozens I'm talking about an established guy.

They need more depth at wing.

They need almost everything and it starts at the draft.

They NEED to stop pissing draft picks, they drafted a damn thing outside their top 2 picks since 2014 and before that 2012.

It is true they drafted Zadorov and Compher in 2013 but they were almost immediately traded away

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
Definite no on the Oilers trade, that's awful.

I agree on finding a 2C, I'd rather not rush Cozens like we did with Mittelstadt, but I don't think trading Reinhart is a smart idea.

Any ideas on what 2nd line centers could be available?

I think a change of ownership would give Jack Eichel some assurance that the future of the team and its appetite for spending would be assured.
They've done nothing to show Eichel they're not willing to spend though. They've spent money in every way imaginable, on and off the ice. That's really not an issue in Buffalo.

The owners and money are not a problem, it's their inability to find a GM for the Sabres like they did for the Bills.

But Botterill showed Eichel and the owners that he wasn't willing to make any moves to improve the team, so they showed him the door...I think that's showing Eichel that they want to win.

Reactions: qqaz

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
They can't be fixed in one off season there are to many holes. They need a REAL #1 goalie you can't win with 2 backups.

They need not just a #2 center but a #3 and #4 as well, and I'm not talking about Dylan Cozens I'm talking about an established guy.

They need more depth at wing.

They need almost everything and it starts at the draft.

They NEED to stop pissing draft picks, they drafted a damn thing outside their top 2 picks since 2014 and before that 2012.

It is true they drafted Zadorov and Compher in 2013 but they were almost immediately traded away
I don't think it can be fixed in one offseason, that's not the point of my post.

The problem with the Sabres is they have all these pieces, they just aren't ready.

Cozens is among the best prospects not in the NHL yet. Luukkonen was the first goalie in 20 years to win OHL MVP. Asplund will be a great 4th line center.

This is why the task is so daunting. You have the pieces there, but you can't risk rushing them. We need bridge veterans to help these kids develop and those are hard to find.

As for Compher and Zadorov, it was well worth trading them for Ryan O'Reilly...I'd do it again every time.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I think they need to add a 2nd line C, rather than just shift positions in terms of useful forwards they have. I think Reinhart can be a core piece. Taking him away from Eichels wing just to tend to Jeff Skinner would be silly.

Also that Risto deal is awful for them.

Reactions: Mosby and Shnooks

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
I think they need to add a 2nd line C, rather than just shift positions in terms of useful forwards they have. I think Reinhart can be a core piece. Taking him away from Eichels wing just to tend to Jeff Skinner would be silly.

Also that Risto deal is awful for them.
The biggest question I have is...who is ideal for that 2C that won't hinder Cozens when he's ready?

We need someone who can be a 2C for a year or two, then move to 3C when Cozens takes over the top-6 job.

I'm just not well-versed enough on everyone else's roster to have an idea of who would be available and who would fit.

Some Sabres fans want Cirelli, but I don't think it's worth trading all those assets when you have Cozens coming.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't think it can be fixed in one offseason, that's not the point of my post.

The problem with the Sabres is they have all these pieces, they just aren't ready.

Cozens is among the best prospects not in the NHL yet. Luukkonen was the first goalie in 20 years to win OHL MVP. Asplund will be a great 4th line center.

This is why the task is so daunting. You have the pieces there, but you can't risk rushing them. We need bridge veterans to help these kids develop and those are hard to find.

As for Compher and Zadorov, it was well worth trading them for Ryan O'Reilly...I'd do it again every time.

Absolutely I only brought them up so it couldn't be said I didn't mention them.

If the rumours about Vancouver trading Bosser are true that would be a hell of a piece to add

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
Stop playing Ristolainen like a top pairing defenseman. Preferably trade him to some other team that still thinks he is one.
But is it smart to trade him AND Montour, taking away two right handed defensemen? They'd be left with Jokiharju, Miller and Borgen (who I like a lot).

I agree though, Risto has to go. It's time for new blood. Same with Girgensons and Larsson. They've been here too long.

Reactions: VaporTrail

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
Absolutely I only brought them up so it couldn't be said I didn't mention them.

If the rumours about Vancouver trading Bosser are true that would be a hell of a piece to add
For what he'll cost though, the injuries scare me...he's yet to play over 69 games in a season.

I would love to add him at the right price though. That would be so big for our top-6.

Olofsson - Eichel - Reinhart
Skinner - ? - Boeser

That 2C would be so important...and they can't afford to force it on Cozens or even Mittelstadt again yet.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
The biggest question I have is...who is ideal for that 2C that won't hinder Cozens when he's ready?

We need someone who can be a 2C for a year or two, then move to 3C when Cozens takes over the top-6 job.

I'm just not well-versed enough on everyone else's roster to have an idea of who would be available and who would fit.

Some Sabres fans want Cirelli, but I don't think it's worth trading all those assets when you have Cozens coming.
The center FA market isnt looking great outside of maybe Mikael Granlund. Except he would likely want a long term deal. Outside of free agency you are looking at moving a valuable piece such as the 8th overall.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
But is it smart to trade him AND Montour, taking away two right handed defensemen? They'd be left with Jokiharju, Miller and Borgen (who I like a lot).

I agree though, Risto has to go. It's time for new blood. Same with Girgensons and Larsson. They've been here too long.

Depends on the returns for Risto and Montour. Risto would be the priority to move, though, because he'd get a better return and his value goes down every year that goes by.

Disagree on Larsson. They need to re-sign him. He and Eichel are the only real centers on the team.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Definite no on the Oilers trade, that's awful.

I agree on finding a 2C, I'd rather not rush Cozens like we did with Mittelstadt, but I don't think trading Reinhart is a smart idea.

Any ideas on what 2nd line centers could be available?

They've done nothing to show Eichel they're not willing to spend though. They've spent money in every way imaginable, on and off the ice. That's really not an issue in Buffalo.

The owners and money are not a problem, it's their inability to find a GM for the Sabres like they did for the Bills.

But Botterill showed Eichel and the owners that he wasn't willing to make any moves to improve the team, so they showed him the door...I think that's showing Eichel that they want to win.
There has never been an owner in NHL history who failed to make the playoffs even once in their first 9 full seasons besides the Pegulas (they became owners in February 2011 and two months later was the last time the Sabres made the playoffs but giving the Pegulas credit for that would be insane). They are not just bad owners, they are historically bad owners and belong on any list of worst owners of the modern era of the sport. And the thing people don't understand is the off ice operations have been every bit as awful and sub bush league as the rotten putrid garbage product on the ice. Every single aspect of this organization under the Pegulas besides RJ and Sabretooth has been shambolic. The game night experience is just about the worst in the league with zero thought or effort put into anything, the ticketing department is awful with reps who it's next to impossible to reach (much less them bothering to reach out to you), a building that looks like nothing has been improved (even in terms of new decorations or a fresh coat of paint) in years and a PR department that appears to consist of people so bad at their job they were probably rejected by the Melnyk Sens as being too incompetent. They accomplished what the Rigas crooks couldn't quite do: Kill the Buffalo Sabres. So yeah, my plan to fix the Sabres would be to force the Pegulas to sell the team to someone who actually had a clue how to run a pro hockey team.

Reactions: Rebels57

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
The center FA market isnt looking great outside of maybe Mikael Granlund. Except he would likely want a long term deal. Outside of free agency you are looking at moving a valuable piece such as the 8th overall.
That's what I'm afraid of, because I REALLY like the forwards who will be available at 8th overall.

I'm still not sure who I want between Rossi, Holtz, Raymond and Perfetti...but if 7 forwards go before Buffalo, then I'm definitely trading the pick.

Depends on the returns for Risto and Montour. Risto would be the priority to move, though, because he'd get a better return and his value goes down every year that goes by.

Disagree on Larsson. They need to re-sign him. He and Eichel are the only real centers on the team.
I agree on Ristolainen. But I think Larsson is just gonna walk, he's earned it. I also like Asplund as a 4th line center moving forward.

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
Can start by not being the softest team in the league
Speed and skill wins...this isn't the 1980's.

I'd like some size, especially on defense, but this whole "we need grit" thing is annoying...the best teams win because they have talent.

(Maybe I misunderstood what you meant...I don't want a bunch of Ryan Reaves'.)

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
ROR said the team has given up. That’s pretty close to saying no heart, or soft. Didn’t Eichel say something similar, like they’re not tough enough?
Sabres need to add (trade, UFA) experienced guys, who are hard to play against.
I’d trade any players not named Eichel and Dahlin to acquire harder to play against guys.
Rhino for sure I’d trade; he’s got value.
Risto is gone too.
Middlestadt too, before his value drops more.
These three guys should return 3-5 guys (who might not be offensively gifted) who play hard, and are hard to play against.

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
There has never been an owner in NHL history who failed to make the playoffs even once in their first 9 full seasons besides the Pegulas (they became owners in February 2011 and two months later was the last time the Sabres made the playoffs but giving the Pegulas credit for that would be insane). They are not just bad owners, they are historically bad owners and belong on any list of worst owners of the modern era of the sport. And the thing people don't understand is the off ice operations have been every bit as awful and sub bush league as the rotten putrid garbage product on the ice. Every single aspect of this organization under the Pegulas besides RJ and Sabretooth has been shambolic. The game night experience is just about the worst in the league with zero thought or effort put into anything, the ticketing department is awful with reps who it's next to impossible to reach (much less them bothering to reach out to you), a building that looks like nothing has been improved (even in terms of new decorations or a fresh coat of paint) in years and a PR department that appears to consist of people so bad at their job they were probably rejected by the Melnyk Sens as being too incompetent. They accomplished what the Rigas crooks couldn't quite do: Kill the Buffalo Sabres. So yeah, my plan to fix the Sabres would be to force the Pegulas to sell the team to someone who actually had a clue how to run a pro hockey team.
Your opinion on the game-night experience still doesn't take away from the fact that they spend money on every facet of their organizations.

It also doesn't explain why the Sabres were good under previous awful owners.

Last edited:

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
ROR said the team has given up. That’s pretty close to saying no heart, or soft. Didn’t Eichel say something similar, like they’re not tough enough?
Sabres need to add (trade, UFA) experienced guys, who are hard to play against.
I’d trade any players not named Eichel and Dahlin to acquire harder to play against guys.
Rhino for sure I’d trade; he’s got value.
Risto is gone too.
Middlestadt too, before his value drops more.
These three guys should return 3-5 guys (who might not be offensively gifted) who play hard, and are hard to play against.
So a team that can't score goals is going to add 5 more guys who can't score goals? Lol.

This team needs talent. Period. They don't need Rob Ray and Brad May again. They need Daniel Briere and Chris Drury.

Also, O'Reilly said that under Housley. This team, if anything, never gave up under Ralph Krueger. I don't think he's a great coach, but he has that going for him.

Reactions: qqaz

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Trade for Stepan and Raanta. Get them to attach a young player like Fischer or Garland so the Coyotes can re-sign Hall.

Sign Maroon and Boyle.

Trade Montour for Tierney + 2nd OR

Trade Risto for Tuch

Sign Edmundson

Fire Hutton into the sun (or Rochester).

If not the Coyotes trade, try to get 2/3 of Johnson, Palat and Killorn from Tampa.

Done.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Ullmark is fine to play a decent portion of the season but finding someone to stop a puck the rest of the time would help.

The Hutton experiment has failed. He’s nothing more than a very good backup.

Reactions: Shnooks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad