Proposal: Fix The Buffalo Sabres...

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Sabres should play Skinner with Eichel. You're paying him $9M to score goals, optimize your cap commitments and fill in the other lines with cheaper, easier to replace players.

Skinner scored 40 playing almost 11 minutes a night with Eichel last year. Was on pace for 19 playing under 2 minutes a game with him this year.

They have other issues but it baffles me that they didn't at least try to reunite it at some point. over 60% CF in about 100 minuted this season. Both were under 50% with everybody else.

Reactions: Sam Pollock

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Sabres should play Skinner with Eichel. You're paying him $9M to score goals, optimize your cap commitments and fill in the other lines with cheaper, easier to replace players.

Skinner scored 40 playing almost 11 minutes a night with Eichel last year. Was on pace for 19 playing under 2 minutes a game with him this year.

They have other issues but it baffles me that they didn't at least try to reunite it at some point. over 60% CF in about 100 minuted this season. Both were under 50% with everybody else.

They need to have 2 offense lines ehich is why I woukd like to see

Xxx-Eichel-xxx
Skinner-xxx-Reinhart

If behind late in the 3rd you can put the three together

If they were to acquire a very good center then the team could do

Skinner-Eichel-xxx
xxx-center-Reinhart

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
They need to have 2 offense lines ehich is why I woukd like to see

Xxx-Eichel-xxx
Skinner-xxx-Reinhart

If behind late in the 3rd you can put the three together

If they were to acquire a very good center then the team could do

Skinner-Eichel-xxx
xxx-center-Reinhart
Oloffson can fill that spot with Reinhart on 2nd line

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
:laugh: The thread is titled: "Fix the Sabres" not: "Bend the Sabres over and go to town".
Or the Sabres can pick at 8th and hope that he becomes a player like Kapanen, in 3-4 years time, rather than end up like the pick that they made at 8th to get Alex Nylander in 2016.
Kapanen is easily worth that 8OA.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Or the Sabres can pick at 8th and hope that he becomes a player like Kapanen, in 3-4 years time, rather than end up like the pick that they made at 8th to get Alex Nylander in 2016.
Based on what? Because it certainly isn't based on any trade I've ever seen in the modern day NHL. 45 point wingers don't get traded for 8th overall picks.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Based on what? Because it certainly isn't based on any trade I've ever seen in the modern day NHL. 45 point wingers don't get traded for 8th overall picks.

Kapanen is overrated. Productive, yes, worthwhile investment, yes, but not 8OA material.

Reactions: Sam Pollock

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
How about Cozens, Mittlestadt and Reinhart for Barkov? Two potential 2Cs and a 1RW?
My initial proposal wasn’t trying to trade Barkov for futures/prospects (I know reinhart isnt), it was specific solely to eichel only so I wouldn’t be interested in this package, unfortunately. I just wanted eichel and was curious what had to be added to swap him for Barkov, since there’s a drop off but not a large one

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
My initial proposal wasn’t trying to trade Barkov for futures/prospects (I know reinhart isnt), it was specific solely to eichel only so I wouldn’t be interested in this package, unfortunately. I just wanted eichel and was curious what had to be added to swap him for Barkov, since there’s a drop off but not a large one
Buffalo will add Frolik too ;)

Notabaguette

Mar 4, 2018
I would say...
Need a second line c and rw
Leadership in the bottom 6
Top pairing d for Dahlin and a big hitter
#1 goalie
Resign Wayne Simmonds and a guy like Patrick Maroon
Trade Ristolainen for Puljujarvi
Buy out Okposo
Trade for Zadorov back
Trade the rest for picks
Trade picks to get a guy like Josh Anderson

Sign Doug Hamilton
Sign Freddy Anderson as he moves on from TML

Can't do that in a year so let's try for 2:
Skinner Eichel Reinhart
Olofsson Cozens Anderson
Pulujujarvi Johansson Kahun
Maroon Middlestadt Simmonds

Dahlin Hamilton
Zadorov Miller
Montour Jokiharju

Anderson
Ullmark

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I would say...
Need a second line c and rw
Leadership in the bottom 6
Top pairing d for Dahlin and a big hitter
#1 goalie
Resign Wayne Simmonds and a guy like Patrick Maroon
Trade Ristolainen for Puljujarvi
Buy out Okposo
Trade for Zadorov back
Trade the rest for picks
Trade picks to get a guy like Josh Anderson

Sign Doug Hamilton
Sign Freddy Anderson as he moves on from TML

Can't do that in a year so let's try for 2:
Skinner Eichel Reinhart
Olofsson Cozens Anderson
Pulujujarvi Johansson Kahun
Maroon Middlestadt Simmonds

Dahlin Hamilton
Zadorov Miller
Montour Jokiharju

Anderson
Ullmark
Few thoughts. Simmonds is absolutely shot, they should absolutely move on from him. Risto for Puljujarvi is god awful, he hasn't even shown he can be an NHL player. In the past I advocated for an Okposo buyout, but last season he showed some utility and quite frankly buying him out doesn't save us all that much on the cap and it extends his cap hit out several more years.

Notabaguette

Mar 4, 2018
Few thoughts. Simmonds is absolutely shot, they should absolutely move on from him. Risto for Puljujarvi is god awful, he hasn't even shown he can be an NHL player. In the past I advocated for an Okposo buyout, but last season he showed some utility and quite frankly buying him out doesn't save us all that much on the cap and it extends his cap hit out several more years.
Ok don't sign Simmonds and keep Okposo there

That deal would get picks as well. But the idea of trading him for a 3rd line lw with potential

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Ok don't sign Simmonds and keep Okposo there

That deal would get picks as well. But the idea of trading him for a 3rd line lw with potential
I'll pass on trading Ristolainen for a 3rd line LW even one with upside. LW is an area of strength for Buffalo. If Ristolainen moves it should be for a middle 6 center. I like some of your other targets though. Josh Anderson would be a good get, I've always had a soft spot for Zadorov as well. I'm not sure a huge contract to Freddy Anderson is the wisest course of action, but I think he's a fantastic player, quite underrated.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'd hang on to Risto, and look to build the top4 around him and Dahlin. Keep Cozens and Mittlestadt in lower leagues. Go bargain hunting on UFA to fill some gaps and maybe get a bit lucky. A guy like Galchenyuk isn't getting much love lately (deservedly) but it also means he could likely be had for cheap and Buffalo is in a position to plug him into a big spot and see if he can resurrect himself. Haula could be an interesting get, and I think Janmark could be a good depth guy. Also, go hunting for guys the expansion draft could shake free.

It'd be nice to get out of the Okposo deal, but it's probably not going to happen. There aren't any answers on the UFA front. And I don't think you will get enough value back to deal Risto or Skinner. But I also think the whole "just build through the draft" isn't a great idea at this point. I mean, yeah, you need to start pulling more talent from the draft, but you also don't want to waste another five years drafting/developing it while the guys you have get older and maybe more dissatisfied.

Which is why I think you go bargain hunting, and looking for low cost, smaller trades to back fill while Cozens (and hopefully mittlestadt) develop and come up behind them.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
How about Cozens, Mittlestadt and Reinhart for Barkov? Two potential 2Cs and a 1RW?

If the Panthers decided to sell high on Barkov now, Rangers would give a Lindros style haul for the privilege.
I mean:
2 1sts
Deangelo + Buch
can't do $ direct, but couple of trades cap favorable to FL

Cozens at this pt appears real, Mitt and Rein are not in that conversation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad