Speculation: Five Steps to a Successful Off-Season

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
I’d like to see us take run at Gaudreau. Flames may be looking to break up core and we could use another top offensive piece. Guy is elite talent. Would Bozak (cap need), Dunn, and Kyrou get conversation started?
dudes also a huge playoff choker

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I can’t imagine Gaudreau ever NOT disappearing when things get more physical.
but if he's in your middle-6 instead of your top-line he's going to get some favorable match-ups and have a whole lot fewer expectations with a much stronger supporting cast. He, Tkachuk & Monahan are Calgary's hopes in the playoffs and the opposition knows it. He becomes much more dangerous if he's playing behind ROR/Perron, Schwartz/Schenn, Thomas/Tarasenko.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
but if he's in your middle-6 instead of your top-line he's going to get some favorable match-ups and have a whole lot fewer expectations with a much stronger supporting cast. He, Tkachuk & Monahan are Calgary's hopes in the playoffs and the opposition knows it. He becomes much more dangerous if he's playing behind ROR/Perron, Schwartz/Schenn, Thomas/Tarasenko.
Exactly. For the right price I don't know what's not to like about a ~PPG winger slotting into our top 6 at $6.75 AAV for the next two years to make another couple runs.

Kessel was also a soft, one dimensional winger who couldn't hack it until he wasn't and was a huge part of helping Pittsburgh win 2 Cups.

Last edited:

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
It would have to include multiple high-impact young guy that haven't made an impact yet. Turcotte, Kupari, Fagemo, Bjornfot...I'd want 3 of those guys, and would be willing to send back a Sanford/Kyrou type with Parayko to make it happen.

But the Blues will lose any trade involving Parayko, in my opinion, and reduce their chances of winning another Cup with this core if they trade a 'core' piece for futures.
I would argue that we are in the drivers seat relative to his demand and his cap hit for the next two seasons, and the won't may a deal unless WE win it.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I’d like to see us take run at Gaudreau. Flames may be looking to break up core and we could use another top offensive piece. Guy is elite talent. Would Bozak (cap need), Dunn, and Kyrou get conversation started?
I wouldn't offer more than Bozak and Dunn, and even then I would be reluctant. Gaudreau has proven three years in a row that he gets pushed around and wilts in the playoffs. He's certainly not a Berube type of player, and Calgary seems to already be acknowledging that they are going to lose this trade based on the volume of information floating around about his availability and the narrative around why he is available. Bozak and a "B" prospect may be enough to get it done.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I have absolutely zero interest in Gaudreau. Yes, he is very skilled, but he will also cough up the puck if you breathe on him. He completely disappears when he is played physically. We also do not need any more playoff no-shows. I do get that not every player has to be physical, and I understand that we need more speed and skill on our team. I just don't think it is unreasonable to demand that players at least take the hits. I just have a personal disdain for players that actively avoid physicality. If you will bail on a play in order to avoid a hit, I don't want you on my team.

Last edited:

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I don't think it's wise to move a defenseman like Parayko for a winger, unless we're talking about one of a handful of wingers. If Armstrong was looking for a one-for-one trade then I'd hope it was targeting a centre.

If we had decided to extend Pietrangelo and move Parayko, then I'd prefer to target younger assets. As @Blueston said, something like Broberg, Puljujärvi & the 14th could be the basis for a deal, assuming that our scouts really liked Broberg.

With the talk that the Oilers are shopping Larsson? Larsson, Broberg, Puljujärvi & the 14th for Parayko & Kostin wouldn't be terrible. We significantly downgrade Parayko, but get a replacement is capable of 20 minutes a night (when healthy) and should be a good partner for Dunn/Perunovich. We swap Kostin for a winger with a higher ceiling. Then we have a couple of prospects with high ceilings that hopefully help us get younger, or we can flip for something that helps us in the short term.

Again though, preference would be to keep Parayko long term... but, if we're only going forward with one of Pietrangelo or Parayko, these options are far preferable to losing Pietragenlo for nothing.
I was going to say, that Parayko would be difficult, if not impossible to replace. BUT, if he ever got dealt, I would demand a solid, capable RD as part of the package coming back. Larsson fits that bill.

Last edited:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I'll chime in with a no vote on Gaudreau.

If we want to add another winger who can score I'd target Hall in free agency. He's coming off a $3M contract so he'd likely come in cheaper than Gaudreau in terms of dollars, even with a slight raise or overpayment due to the nature of free agent frenzy and we don't have to give up guys like Dunn or Kyrou to acquire him.

For Hall I'm sure an offer from a recent Cup winning team and contender would be an attractive opportunity to finally win a Cup himself.

Edit: my info is wrong

Last edited:

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I may be misinterpreting the vision here. But from what it looks like you want to take the team from a defense first minded team that grinds games to turn into a high scoring team that lacks defense?

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I may be misinterpreting the vision here. But from what it looks like you want to take the team from a defense first minded team that grinds games to turn into a high scoring team that lacks defense?
Do you mean my post on Hall? Or another post?

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Lol, if I was in charge it would be "over my dead body". Seriously though, I still maintain that defense wins championships. Having said that, there is no reason why we can't be faster and more skilled and still be physical and play team defense. Skill and defense are not mutually exclusive.

Reactions: Blueston

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I'll chime in with a no vote on Gaudreau.

If we want to add another winger who can score I'd target Hall in free agency. He's coming off a $3M contract so he'd likely come in cheaper than Gaudreau in terms of dollars, even with a slight raise or overpayment due to the nature of free agent frenzy and we don't have to give up guys like Dunn or Kyrou to acquire him.

For Hall I'm sure an offer from a recent Cup winning team and contender would be an attractive opportunity to finally win a Cup himself.
Apologies if I'm misunderstanding anything here but Taylor Hall is coming off a 7 year, $6AAV deal. Given Gaudreau only has a $6.75 hit, there is virtually no way Hall comes cheaper than Gaudreau in terms of dollars particularly given that he will be -at worst- the second best FA available and best UFA forward. Given the money and term Hall will likely be looking for, I don't see it making more sense to sign Hall than trade for someone (Gaudreau in this example).

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
I really dont see the Blues doing anything. Petro and his agent made the decision last summer to go after the largest deal they could find. They most likely gave their number to Army and Army went a different direction. If the number had been a reasonable number then Faulk wouldn't have been resigned and if the number was something the Blues could get to then Scandy wouldn't have been re-signed.
The Goalie Market is saturated, plus Binny played average to below average from December on. He completely crapped the bed in the post season.
Steen is a walking injury waiting to happen, the only option to get rid of him is a buyout and I really dont see the Blues doing that in the current financial situation.
Bozak, maybe you find a buyer, but the guy has been solid in the bottom 6. IMO Bozak should be playing on the 4th line, with Sunny and Barbs, replacing Steen.

IMO the organization already anticipated Petro heading to UFA.
The only hole or question I see, is what to do if Tarasenko is out for an extended period. Can you use that LTIR money and bring in a forward or do you fill with your Prospects?

Also no way am I giving up on 23 year old Vince Dunn.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I'm not really sure that looking for goals in the UFA market is going to be a good idea. Who is there this offseason? Hall, Hoffman, Dadonov and Toffoli? Unless I'm missing some, then that's few enough that there are enough teams to still pay them in these circumstances.

If Toffoli would take a five year deal at around his current cap hit? That could make a lot of sense for us, as he would fit our team well and we could potentally make that kind of number work. I just expect that someone will still offer more.

Hall will get too much. While Hoffman and Dadonov are good players, I'd be hesitant to see us paying good players UFA money into their mid-30's.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I really dont see the Blues doing anything. Petro and his agent made the decision last summer to go after the largest deal they could find. They most likely gave their number to Army and Army went a different direction. If the number had been a reasonable number then Faulk wouldn't have been resigned and if the number was something the Blues could get to then Scandy wouldn't have been re-signed.
The Goalie Market is saturated, plus Binny played average to below average from December on. He completely crapped the bed in the post season.
Steen is a walking injury waiting to happen, the only option to get rid of him is a buyout and I really dont see the Blues doing that in the current financial situation.
Bozak, maybe you find a buyer, but the guy has been solid in the bottom 6. IMO Bozak should be playing on the 4th line, with Sunny and Barbs, replacing Steen.

IMO the organization already anticipated Petro heading to UFA.
The only hole or question I see, is what to do if Tarasenko is out for an extended period. Can you use that LTIR money and bring in a forward or do you fill with your Prospects?

Also no way am I giving up on 23 year old Vince Dunn.
Nobody is suggesting giving up on Dunn, but rather whether this is an opportune time to cash in. Dunn is due a raise, even if we can keep it to a modest raise... that's still significant when we're tight to the cap. If we can get a really nice prospect for Dunn and have a cheaper replacement (Mikkola or Perunovich) to come in, then it can make sense.

I would say that nobody should go into the offseason expecting the Blues to do nothing. Whether Pietrangelo is back or not, Armstrong will find a way to freshen up the roster. He typically does.

That's really promising. The expected comment would be that he hopes something gets done, but the negotiations aren't his department.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
For me moving Dunn is an easy decision.

He isn't good enough defensively to play top 4 (I've seen him play with both Petro and Parayko and he still managed to make too many mistakes that ended up in our net).

He's due a raise at the same time we have not one, but two LHD prospects who are ready to start playing at this level. Mikkola is definitely ready right now and Blues brass feel their recent Hobey Baker award winner Scott Perunovich is going to be ready sometime next season. These guys need to start getting minutes and this is the perfect time to exchange Dunn for other assets.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I've always really liked Dunn, but he just hasn't improved at all since his rookie season. Far too many defensive lapses and he still has issues with shots getting blocked easily. If we need to add him to Bozak/Steen in a trade to move some cap, I would definitely explore that option. We have several potential replacements on the come up with Perunovich, Mikkola, and Tucker.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Apologies if I'm misunderstanding anything here but Taylor Hall is coming off a 7 year, $6AAV deal. Given Gaudreau only has a $6.75 hit, there is virtually no way Hall comes cheaper than Gaudreau in terms of dollars particularly given that he will be -at worst- the second best FA available and best UFA forward. Given the money and term Hall will likely be looking for, I don't see it making more sense to sign Hall than trade for someone (Gaudreau in this example).
Yes you're right. My bad in my tiredness last night I didn't realize his salary was retained so I just looked at the $3M salary on Capfriendly being paid the Coyotes and ran with it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad