Five Reasons to Still Love Your Maple Leafs

Gigi Elle

'Til I Die
Jan 5, 2015
Imho, that's the typical Leaf fan mentality and why ownership has been able to take advantage through each subsequent ownership transfers - the same mentality persists and the owners always have the same reaction - okay, cool... $$$$$ ching, ching.... :shakehead

Who are they taking advantage of. And why? You don't believe owners and management want a cup?

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Who are they taking advantage of. And why? You don't believe owners and management want a cup?

Of course not, that's why we spend so much on management, scouting, training, free agents, farm system, spend to the cap every year etc.

All to convince people they want to win while secretly taking advantage of us.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Only one reason is ever needed.

1) I'm a Leaf fan.

+1

I am not a bandwagon fan. I am in it through thick and thin. All Toronto sports teams are who i cheer for.

Only bandwagon i jumped on was the Green Bay Packers as Toronto does not have an NFL team. Plus i've been a Packer fan since 2002 and if i were like most fans i should have jumped off the wagon after the loss to Seattle but thats not me. I am 100% committed to all Toronto teams and the Packers!

Gigi Elle

'Til I Die
Jan 5, 2015
Of course not, that's why we spend so much on management, scouting, training, free agents, farm system, spend to the cap every year etc.

All to convince people they want to win while secretly taking advantage of us.

Thanks. I didn't want to see it, but now that you've confirmed it I have no choice. :laugh:

spidergoalie

Aug 9, 2009
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Only one reason is ever needed.

1) I'm a Leaf fan.
It is an interesting thing being a sports fan.

I think I saw a Seinfeld stand-up bit about it. What are we loyal too? The players change all the time.
Is it the uniform?

Increasingly our society shows significantly more loyalty to sports teams than maintaining a relationship through difficult times.

I think when the team is the home town team that changes things a bit, but for me I was born and spent my entire life in BC, but I've been a Leaf fan since 1970. It is not surprisingly mostly about the goalies for me with a few other players and coaches as stand outs.

1. It started the moment I saw Jacques Plante in net for the Leafs. (hence my avatar) He along with Parent and Keon were my first favourites.
2. Then was the Sittler/Palmateer era.
Fortunately for me the 80's was all about music for me and I didn't watch as much hockey.
3. The 90's was the Gilmour/Clark/Potvin era.
4. the Cujo/Sundin era
5. I was always a big Giguere fan. Too bad it didn't work out for him in Toronto but he still had his moments. The first two games were shutouts. He had some great games against the Habs.

As a goalie I have always allowed myself to cheer for favourite non-Leaf goalies, so that has made some of the suffering a bit easier to cope with. But these days every goalie looks so much like every other goalie it is harder to choose than in the old days. I sort of cheer for the Ducks still though even though Jiggy is long gone and retired.

leafstilldeath*

I prefer 5 stages as opposed to 5 reasons

Stage 1:
Denial - I can't believe Leafs......... (gave contract extensions, buyouts, trades, FAs walk free)

Stage 2:
Anger - F-Nonis, F-Carlyle, F-MLSE, F-Wilson, F-Burke, F-hockey gods, F the whole universe

Stage 3:
Bargaining - If Leafs make the playoffs I will do (X, Y, Z) for (A,B,C) and will quit (Alpha, Omega, Delta) Please God!

Stage 4
Depression: ..................

Stage 5
Acceptance!!! - Leafs are terrible, Leafs should make changes, Leafs will be better in the future :)crossfing)

Chalms55

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
I'm a Leafs fan because it's all I've ever known. It's in my blood.

I am excited to see Rielly continue to develop. Connor Brown looks like he could make a pretty good contribution to the Leafs in the near future. I always enjoy watching Komarov play. His "give a ****' meter is always turned right up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad