Five Reasons to Still Love Your Maple Leafs

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
My top 5 reasons.

1) Born a Leaf fan and will die a Leaf fan. (Father's a Leafs fan).
2) Davey Keon in the 1960s
3) Darryl Sittler in the 1970s
4) Wendel Clark in the 1980s
5) Dougie Gilmour in the 1990s.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
Suffering builds character.

In all seriousness it's because this is my team. Even in the worst of times. Someday we'll see the best of times and all of this will be worth it.

Anyone can hop on a bandwagon. Sticking it out through the worst is what makes a true fan.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
1) I'm not a bandwagon jumper and support them win or lose.
2) Watching Morgan Rielly become a great Defenseman.
3) Growing up Doug Gilmour was my favorite player.
4) My favorite Leafs memory was being at the Air Canada Centre when Mats Sundin scored his 500th NHL goal.
5) The feeling of when they eventually win the Stanley Cup will be worth the long wait.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I'd also like to include prospects such as Brown, Leivo, Percy, Gauthier, etc on to the list. NHLers such as Kadri, Gardiner, Holland are going to be interesting to watch as well.

We seem to be a lot more well-rounded than Edmonton IMO.

cujoflutie

the will arnett video before the season is a great reason why we should never consider moving. We aren't fairweather fans, we're a culture of our own and nobody is more loyal. Even the canadiens became small markets in the early 21st century when they weren't competitive.

Losing isn't fun but if we ever win a cup, it will be the greatest thing ever. And we'll know we stuck with the team all along.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
The Leafs are the team of the city I was born in and so in turn, there's an inexplicable first reason that says, because I always have been. I can literally catalogue life events concurrently to the clubs good times and the bad, so a second reason would be much like the first but more specific, because I'm a Leafs fan whose life experiences have for any number of reasons, been colored by, inspired by, sometimes amused by and depressed by, this club. Third, not necessarily third however - Love. I hope for this club like it's a long suffering member of my family who I know is meant - and I mean destined by design -to be better until our better will be a best never matched again. When we win...My goodness what a celebration the sports world will never forget. And really it's difficult to separate any from another...And part of the love of being a Leafs fan has to be the good,bad,uniquely informed and sometimes emotionally satisfied uninformed fan base, nation...Army...that continues in what others think should be shame, with a smile and humor and good hope. And I guess that's a good point to wonder at the fifth reason: Our past seems to have carried on in kind. Didn't have the most skilled teams. Didn't have territorial rights as I understand it, and yet, there's been championships. But championships made up for the most part, with good, Canadian value sharing, chin-up, take one for the team guys.

And yeah...It's important to remember that in times like these.
Good thread topic.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I love cheering for the underdog
I'm a homer
I can't wait to say I told you so, when we are the best team in the league
They have given me great memories, although lately they've been bad.
Canada's team.

iceblue

Jul 30, 2004
Myrtle Beach
1) My father was a Leafs fan
2) I bleed blue and white
3) I watch every game win or lose and will until I die
4) I was at the Winter Classic 2014 and it was....classic
5) Leafs are never boring. Sort of like a roller coaster ride....and I love the thrill but hate the end run.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I'd switch if I could. I've grown to loathe this team and organization. The team and organization have been one big epic fail since I started supporting them in the early 80's. The good teams of Dougie and Mats aside.

It's too late for me now. I will not force my kid to be a Leaf fan. He can choose on his own. I don't blame him if he chooses another team.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Only one reason is ever needed.

1) I'm a Leaf fan.

Well put.

Stupid lists like in the OP, that glorify guys like Komarov or Winnick are why Leaf fans get laughed at.

Just because you're a Leafs fan doesn't mean you need to convince yourself our third liners are important. :help:

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Live in Toronto (born and raised).

Dad fell in love with the team when he immigrated here.

Al Secord.

Women look way better in our jerseys than any other (especially when they JUST wear the jersey).

I'm a Leaf Fan, therefore I am.

Gigi Elle

'Til I Die
Jan 5, 2015
Live in Toronto (born and raised).

Dad fell in love with the team when he immigrated here.

Al Secord.

Women look way better in our jerseys than any other (especially when they JUST wear the jersey).

I'm a Leaf Fan, therefore I am.

We *do* have the best jerseys.

Drugstorecowboi

May 5, 2009
I believe it's getting to a point where enough is enough.... Despite Burke's mishaps here he was onto something and the Leafs brass didn't have the patience to see it through because they couldn't stand him. Ownership change and Dave Nonis' incompetence (see Nonis' tenure post Burke in Vancouver) has brought us to another rebuild?

Anyone familiar with Nonis could have seen this disaster coming from a mile away. It's essentially set us back to where we were in 2008. I've been watching this team since '86 but I'm sure like many Leafs fans (mostly not on here) I am watching from afar. I'm not as emotionally attached as the team and it's moves have become a parody ... and I actually find it insulting to my intelligence.

The definition of insanity is to repeat the same mistakes over and over again expecting different results. The Leafs brass are either insane,incompetent, or just a bunch of effin fools and we as Maple Leaf fans DESERVE more.

I appreciate the yonger fans posting on here still holding on because I was once where you are. But I truly believe until we - the people that pay these fools' salaries, sort of disengage, or take a step back from this team nothing will change.

I was hoping with the emergence of the Raptors (or potentially the Jays - but that's a whole other story) that this might happen. The thing is, the Raptors or the Jays would have to win on a consistent level in order for this to happen.

So why am I still a Leafs fan? Memories of Rick Vaive's 50 goal seaons, great playoff runs in the early 90s but I wouldn't say I'm a fan of the players on the current team. They're a hard bunch to actually like! Kessel, Phaneuf, et al - just plain lazy with half the will of Maple Leafs from yesteryears. They sit around the dressing room in post game interviews with tears in their eyes saying - we have to do better I want to stay in Toronto...which I just find insulting as a fan. They don't deserve it.

At this point I'm just a fan of the logo watching from afar. Maybe a true rebuild is the answer? Maybe not? I have a soft spot for Brendan Shanahan ..because he's an etobicoke kid like myself (I believe) he use to come into IL PAESANO all the time..and they still have news paper clippings from his rookie season on the wall.

I think he loves the Leafs and has a hockey mind to potentially do something. I believe he really showed the executives that the 10 game winning streak this year could not uphold....and he's identified the individuals we are paying 7 or 8 million dolalrs a year as lazy / not enough will to go 4 rounds in the playoffs. That might be the only other reason I'm watching from afar.

I've gone through Ballard, Peddie and all the other disasters. Enough is enough.

Gigi Elle

'Til I Die
Jan 5, 2015
I believe it's getting to a point where enough is enough.... Despite Burke's mishaps here he was onto something and the Leafs brass didn't have the patience to see it through because they couldn't stand him. Ownership change and Dave Nonis' incompetence (see Nonis' tenure post Burke in Vancouver) has brought us to another rebuild?

Anyone familiar with Nonis could have seen this disaster coming from a mile away. It's essentially set us back to where we were in 2008. I've been watching this team since '86 but I'm sure like many Leafs fans (mostly not on here) I am watching from afar. I'm not as emotionally attached as the team and it's moves have become a parody ... and I actually find it insulting to my intelligence.

The definition of insanity is to repeat the same mistakes over and over again expecting different results. The Leafs brass are either insane,incompetent, or just a bunch of effin fools and we as Maple Leaf fans DESERVE more.

I appreciate the yonger fans posting on here still holding on because I was once where you are. But I truly believe until we - the people that pay these fools' salaries, sort of disengage, or take a step back from this team nothing will change.

I was hoping with the emergence of the Raptors (or potentially the Jays - but that's a whole other story) that this might happen. The thing is, the Raptors or the Jays would have to win on a consistent level in order for this to happen.

So why am I still a Leafs fan? Memories of Rick Vaive's 50 goal seaons, great playoff runs in the early 90s but I wouldn't say I'm a fan of the players on the current team. They're a hard bunch to actually like! Kessel, Phaneuf, et al - just plain lazy with half the will of Maple Leafs from yesteryears. They sit around the dressing room in post game interviews with tears in their eyes saying - we have to do better I want to stay in Toronto...which I just find insulting as a fan. They don't deserve it.

At this point I'm just a fan of the logo watching from afar. Maybe a true rebuild is the answer? Maybe not? I have a soft spot for Brendan Shanahan ..because he's an etobicoke kid like myself (I believe) he use to come into IL PAESANO all the time..and they still have news paper clippings from his rookie season on the wall.

I think he loves the Leafs and has a hockey mind to potentially do something. I believe he really showed the executives that the 10 game winning streak this year could not uphold....and he's identified the individuals we are paying 7 or 8 million dolalrs a year as lazy / not enough will to go 4 rounds in the playoffs. That might be the only other reason I'm watching from afar.

I've gone through Ballard, Peddie and all the other disasters. Enough is enough.

I'm definitely not a "younger fan". I too have memories of Rick Vaive's 50-goal seasons and all of the runs of greatness we've had. Is it frustrating at times? Hell yes. Do I think I'll ever reach a point where I'm done with them, or just stop somehow being a fan? Never. I hope to see the Cup come home in my lifetime, and I'm willing to wait (and support them) for as long as it takes.

Durkin67

Article here: http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/uhn-│-toronto-five-reasons-to-still-love-your-maple-leafs/

www.UltimateHockeyNetwork.com
@joshwald @UltimateHKY

Let us know if you have any interest contributing for us at UHN. We're always looking for more writers passionate about hockey! [email protected]

Only one needed, and that's the crest on the front of the jersey. Names come and go. That crest, and what it is supposed to stand for doesn't change.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
I'm definitely not a "younger fan". I too have memories of Rick Vaive's 50-goal seasons and all of the runs of greatness we've had. Is it frustrating at times? Hell yes. Do I think I'll ever reach a point where I'm done with them, or just stop somehow being a fan? Never. I hope to see the Cup come home in my lifetime, and I'm willing to wait (and support them) for as long as it takes.
Imho, that's the typical Leaf fan mentality and why ownership has been able to take advantage through each subsequent ownership transfers - the same mentality persists and the owners always have the same reaction - okay, cool... $$$$$ ching, ching.... :shakehead

Last edited by a moderator:

Grapes03

Feb 27, 2012
1. Lupul's ability to stare at his own reflection
2. That military night thing they did with the ziplines that wasn't awkward at all
3. Dave Nonis attacking the buffet table with no remorse
4. That time when Ryan Hollweg just kept boarding people
5. Steve Simmons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad