OT: Fitness and Nutrition Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Another guy who works out with us once in a while will take part of the Montreal meet in a week and a half. He'll likely make the province's record at a 163 pound bodyweight with a 600 pound deadlift. He finally decided to join the QPF despite his hate for all the fake nattys in the federation. He knows perfectly well he's competing against guys on juice.
Wtf?!? Props to that guy I don't even know how he can lift that much at that weight.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Wtf?!? Props to that guy I don't even know how he can lift that much at that weight.

His other lifts definitely need more love :P. His front squat is better than his back squat but he just loves deadlifting. The guy's been working out since forever, has great work ethic and can get just get psyched for his deadlift.

Reactions: Chris Cutter

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
His other lifts definitely need more love :P. His front squat is better than his back squat but he just loves deadlifting. The guy's been working out since forever, has great work ethic and can get just get psyched for his deadlift.

He seem to have them long limbs doe. Hes a typical deadlifter, his body reminds me of Cailer Woolam.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Usually at the cost of the squat, how much does he squat ?

Never seen him go for a pr on the squat. I'd say he's about 415 based on his sub-max reps. Main reason, I'd say though, is he just hasn't practiced enough. If he puts himself to it, his squat should go up fairly quickly. Last time we spoke he said he started changing his mind about competing. He's thinking about the nationals now and competing at a higher level.

Bench press as well, no? I believe the best benchers have stubby little arms and big guts lol.

Kelly Branton says hi! :P

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Lots of people have told you that you eat too many carbs, that you should have more fat. Your first idea after all is to switch from reduced-fat milk (2%) to skim milk. Do you not see how ridiculous that is?

Skim milk is actually inferior and you should be going for 3.25% milk. Children who grow up drinking skim milk are on average fatter than those who drink full-fat milk. That is likely due to the full-fat milk being more satisfying. Further, a lot of the vitamins and minerals are dissolved in the fat.

As for you, either:

1) You're lying/confused about your dietary intake;
2) You have suffered a metabolic crash, in which case you should be eating and exercising more.

You're not the anecdote of the guy who was having too much olive oil. You don't even know if that story is true. Further, you're not having any olive oil, so that's not you.

I know but there is gotta be a daily allowance for fat

I will eat a bit more tonight

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
@Mathletic Do you use knee wrap/sleeve/wrist wrap on your squats ? Ive been thinking about it for the intense cycle of smolov.

I use knee sleeves and wrist wraps (low-bar) but no knee wraps. The sleeves and the improved technique definitely helped reducing/eliminating any knee pain I had. The wrist wraps help a bit. Never used knee wraps but some have at our club. They say it helps relieving the stress on your knees. Better put them right though because put wrong they'll hurt like hell.

If you're going to buy sleeves, better go for SBD. They cost more but much better built than the Titan's and other brands.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
If your knees are bothering you when squatting, you might need a form check. This video helped me out earlier this year, turns out my foot placement had gone awry and I wasn't breaking at the hips.

sorry but it's a rather terrible video. The main thing to keep in mind is to keep the bar traveling in a straight line over midfoot. Definitely not on your heels. All that does is load your hamstrings and low back, which both aren't in position to deliver maximal strength. On the squat, you should load your quads. There's no one size fits all squat position. Bryce Lewis doesn't squat the same way Layne Norton does. Your torso length, femurs, tibias, ankle and hips mobility all play an important role.

Also, yes your knees have to travel in line with your feet. That's fine. But how open your knees are depends on the person. Someone with great ankle mobility won't have to open nearly as much. Women especially, can basically squat with their feet pointing forward. Moving your feet outwards can help engage the glutes but they really don't have to be that wide. It depends on the person.

Also, watch how much the bar travels in the video. Really poor execution and there's no weight on the bar. It's normal to have some travel at the beginning but you should settle in position with bar oer midfoot pretty quickly. His bar rarely, if ever, ends up midfoot at the bottom position.

For better tutorials, watch Juggernaut training systems, Alan Thrall (don't agree with everything but still much better) or Greg Nuckols among others.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
A lot of these PEDs are poorly researched, so they're automatically dangerous. Moreover many of them are used in combinations which are themselves not researched.

There is also no shortage of cases of people who have suffered health problems from PEDs. Some are successful, but many are not. Testosterone for example comes with the risk of roid rage, depleted natural testosterone production, impotency and erectile dysfunction, and breast growth. The breast growth is due to testosterone being converted to estrogen, so some people add in breast cancer drugs like Arimidex and Letrozole to inhibit that conversion. But those people suffer the risk o significant mental side effects and bone fractures.

Ideally, PEDs should first be tested in animals, and then tested on a select group of people for a period of a year.
Roid rage is a myth. What some roids can do is enhance behavior. If you are an aggressive angry person, then taking some might increase this behavior. You could easily say roids are the mellow happy drugs. If someone is happy and mellow, that will enhance this behavior as well.
This idea that you take roids and you'll be going bananas on everyone is pure fiction.
That applies to some of your physical traits too, if you are prone to acne, you will probably develop some. If you are balding, this could very well accelerate the process.
Many of the side effects are also reversible.

The problems that come from the common person using roids is it's likely of very poor quality and complete lack of knowledge on how/what to use.
Precisely why I say they should legalize and control it. The masses would be way more informed and could then have access to quality drugs.

There are Muslims who gain weight during Ramadan. It's inevitable if you pig out at night. Getting 3,000 calories of crap in one meal is easy.

You don't have to do it in a meal. Ramadan is essentially IF.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
sorry but it's a rather terrible video. The main thing to keep in mind is to keep the bar traveling in a straight line over midfoot. Definitely not on your heels. All that does is load your hamstrings and low back, which both aren't in position to deliver maximal strength. On the squat, you should load your quads. There's no one size fits all squat position. Bryce Lewis doesn't squat the same way Layne Norton does. Your torso length, femurs, tibias, ankle and hips mobility all play an important role.

Also, yes your knees have to travel in line with your feet. That's fine. But how open your knees are depends on the person. Someone with great ankle mobility won't have to open nearly as much. Women especially, can basically squat with their feet pointing forward. Moving your feet outwards can help engage the glutes but they really don't have to be that wide. It depends on the person.

Also, watch how much the bar travels in the video. Really poor execution and there's no weight on the bar. It's normal to have some travel at the beginning but you should settle in position with bar oer midfoot pretty quickly. His bar rarely, if ever, ends up midfoot at the bottom position.

For better tutorials, watch Juggernaut training systems, Alan Thrall (don't agree with everything but still much better) or Greg Nuckols among others.

Probably the biggest piece of information most people do not know.
Honestly, the clients I get who come in with no lifting experience and have never squatted will have a better squat than the experienced lifter who cannot shake away myths and muscle memory.
Push the knees out, stick the ass back, knees cannot travel passed the toes, etc...All generic cues that some have taken way too literally.

Reactions: Mathletic

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm, personally, completely against them because more is always better and more always leads to more risks. From that point on, it's an arms race to who's more willing to put their health at risk. You can take creatine but once you go passed 5 grams a day there's no longer any benefits + there's no side effects other than bloating. Same for protein or anything of the sort. That's where I draw the line.
I have never used them. I am slightly tempted here in HK as I actually have access to pharma grade straight from the source. I would never trust the black market for that.
But I have not yet bitten the bullet, I don't think I will even if I really wanted to honestly because I am a sissy with needles for some reason...
Slash my legs, back, arms, with a hockey stick, crosscheck me until I can't stand straight in front of the net, no problem. I can take that all day. But try to inject a tiny needle in me and I turn into PO Plekanec...
So personally, don't think I will ever do them, but I think they should be part of sports.
The reason why is because they already are and they will never go away.
As much as some people like to say USADA changes things, that's only with regards to what they know to test on. They will never know about new products until those are being circulated around enough and used for a little while. It's a constant losing battle.
Legalize and control. It would be so much better imo.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Wish I had scrolled down before watching :laugh:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I have never used them. I am slightly tempted here in HK as I actually have access to pharma grade straight from the source. I would never trust the black market for that.
But I have not yet bitten the bullet, I don't think I will even if I really wanted to honestly because I am a sissy with needles for some reason...
Slash my legs, back, arms, with a hockey stick, crosscheck me until I can't stand straight in front of the net, no problem. I can take that all day. But try to inject a tiny needle in me and I turn into PO Plekanec...
So personally, don't think I will ever do them, but I think they should be part of sports.
The reason why is because they already are and they will never go away.
As much as some people like to say USADA changes things, that's only with regards to what they know to test on. They will never know about new products until those are being circulated around enough and used for a little while. It's a constant losing battle.
Legalize and control. It would be so much better imo.
Ship me some

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I had to downgrade from a softball/baseball to a tennis ball because im too sore from Smolov. Jeezuz.
I'm headed to Sri Lanka early July for some vacay, I think I might give Smolov a go after it.
I need to build my legs back up.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Wish I had scrolled down before watching :laugh:

For a few good videos:

I like that series because it shows how limb lengths impact your squat position

As example, you can see Bryce Lewis with a shorter femur here:

and Layne Norton with much longer femurs there

The Juggernaut series on squats, I find, is very good:

Squat Pillar # 1 | The Set Up | JTSstrength.com

I also like Alan Thrall's videos, except for one thing. He preaches the starting strength school of thought and low-bar at all cost. I personally use the low-bar position but I disagree that everyone should go by it. At some point he says, even with shorther femurs, you only have to keep your back straighter. Sure, but in real life you can kill your arms and shoulders doing that. You're basically doing a high-bar squat in a low-bar position. Bryce Lewis talks about that in his video. For him, the low-bar feels just wrong because he isn't built for that.

How To Squat: Low Bar

Fix The Good Morning Squat - High Bar - Pivot Blocks

I also like Greg Nuckols' articles:

How to Squat: The Definitive Guide • Stronger by Science

Wealth of knowledge.

There's plenty of other good videos. Each squatter has his own cues. I like to try as many as possible and see what works for me. Also, film yourself and you'll very likely identify your own mistakes. I like the technique app made by hudl. You can draw lines, slow down your videos and whatnot. I like to film from different angles, as well. Make sure the bar is over mid-foot. I'd say that's about the only thing that's constant for all good squats. Other than that, you have to go with your body and mobility.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
My issue is most likely in my ankles or in my hips, i really dont think my technique suffers from anything recurent.

Actually yeah, I do have problem and thats going too low.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
For a few good videos:

I like that series because it shows how limb lengths impact your squat position

As example, you can see Bryce Lewis with a shorter femur here:

and Layne Norton with much longer femurs there

The Juggernaut series on squats, I find, is very good:

Squat Pillar # 1 | The Set Up | JTSstrength.com

I also like Alan Thrall's videos, except for one thing. He preaches the starting strength school of thought and low-bar at all cost. I personally use the low-bar position but I disagree that everyone should go by it. At some point he says, even with shorther femurs, you only have to keep your back straighter. Sure, but in real life you can kill your arms and shoulders doing that. You're basically doing a high-bar squat in a low-bar position. Bryce Lewis talks about that in his video. For him, the low-bar feels just wrong because he isn't built for that.

How To Squat: Low Bar

Fix The Good Morning Squat - High Bar - Pivot Blocks

I also like Greg Nuckols' articles:

How to Squat: The Definitive Guide • Stronger by Science

Wealth of knowledge.

There's plenty of other good videos. Each squatter has his own cues. I like to try as many as possible and see what works for me. Also, film yourself and you'll very likely identify your own mistakes. I like the technique app made by hudl. You can draw lines, slow down your videos and whatnot. I like to film from different angles, as well. Make sure the bar is over mid-foot. I'd say that's about the only thing that's constant for all good squats. Other than that, you have to go with your body and mobility.

To be fair to Thrall, he does state that this is his personal opinion and that no matter what you should stick to what feels more comfortable to you.
Personally don't like low bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad