Post-Game Talk: Fish Stix vs WashingtonlessOviens - 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
From a team performance standpoint, that was total playoff hockey. Great passing, energy, awareness, decision making, etc. Top notch TOP NOTCH.

But you don't want the refs having any chance to nullify all that with a couple of shitty power plays, as they almost did.

So no thanks on the 1-0 games. Too little room for error. Pile it on and don't stop.

Yea, but Dale Hunter must be in heaven

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Defensive masterpiece. I think the Islanders had about 2 good chances in the game and that’s despite Islanders getting all the help from the refs. Not going to complain because we won and Chara laid out punishment already.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Wow, that was a hell of a defensive performance. Never thought I'd see Caps completely out-Islander the Islanders.

Couple of little stat nuggets to go along with the spectacle. Isles trail for literally the whole game, you figure they'd push hard for an equalizer. In the 2nd period Caps had 80.1 xGF% at 5-on-5. That somehow improved to an absurd 92% in the 3rd period. Islanders had two 5-on-5 shot for in the 3rd. Two. Talk about shutting it down.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Wow, that was a hell of a defensive performance. Never thought I'd see Caps completely out-Islander the Islanders..

That was the 3rd one of those in the last 4 meetings. They lost 1-0 on a late 3rd period goal, they won in the shootout, and they won last night on an early 1st period goal 1-0.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
That style of game takes a toll…..let’s hope not all grinding them slowly to stone type games. A long postseason series of that type could decimate you for the next round.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That style of game takes a toll…..let’s hope not all grinding them slowly to stone type games. A long postseason series of that type could decimate you for the next round.

IMO it was the key to 2018. They fell behind in every series and closed each series hard. They crushed each opponent physically before they caved in. The non grinder games come at the end when the opponent is defenseless against it

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
IMO it was the key to 2018. They fell behind in every series and closed each series hard. They crushed each opponent physically before they caved in. The non grinder games come at the end when the opponent is defenseless against it

yeah but that’s not what I saw last night…..we took a lot as well.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
yeah but that’s not what I saw last night…..we took a lot as well.

Thats just what playing the Islanders is like. That series were Kuzy scored the series winner was brutal.

Laviolette said pre game yesterday that, "The next 3 games are going to be heavy. Its going be about the battles and scrums and the puck and the confrontations." I take from that he likes his odds in those games

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
All the same, I’m hoping we don’t see them….

Agree. And even though we beat them all 3 times in this mini-series it's hard to tell if the Isles' "slump" is full blown or only partial. They seem to be in a state of crisis at the moment, especially with scoring, but that might not last, and they are definitely
a team that has no problem winning games 1-0.
We absolutely dominated this game last night but it is still very difficult to get quality shots on goal against the Isles, and Sorokhin let in that one goal and then stopped the next 32 shots.
So apart from that stinker from Sorokhin that we won 6-3, Varlamov had 2 shutouts and Sorokhin only allowed 1 goal in his other outing.

Despite all of that our team looked fantastic last night. And I loved seeing VV get the shutout. To me it's crucial that we can rely on him to step up if and when he's needed (assuming Sammy has got the nod as starter).

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
. To me it's crucial that we can rely on him to step up if and when he's needed (assuming Sammy has got the nod as starter).

Why are we assuming that? In his last 8 starts he has a sv% or ,900 or better twice. In Vanecek's last 8 starts he has 5 games with a .900 or better.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Why are we assuming that? In his last 8 starts he has a sv% or ,900 or better twice. In Vanecek's last 8 starts he has 5 games with a .900 or better.

Wow you sure do flip flop all the time, don't you? A couple of days ago there were several pages of posts where you told us Samsonov was DEFINITELY going to be the starter when we got to the playoffs.

Now you don't think he is? Make a decision and stick to it. Or do you just enjoy being a contrarian?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Wow you sure do flip flop all the time, don't you? A couple of days ago there were several pages of posts where you told us Samsonov was DEFINITELY going to be the starter when we got to the playoffs.

Now you don't think he is? Make a decision and stick to it. Or do you just enjoy being a contrarian?

Data changes and conclusions must evolve. I thought Samsonov would play last night. Something different happened. You could address my question rather than ignore it and attack me personally. Or....no?

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Don’t look now but this 3 game sweep might cost Isles playoffs.

They have the next two straight vs Rangers... that will decide the 4th spot most likely. If the Rags don't win both, its unlikely they can catch the Isles. After that the Rags have 2 more vs Caps then 2 vs Bs, so basically their final 6 games are all against the playoff teams above them.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Data changes and conclusions must evolve. I thought Samsonov would play last night. Something different happened. You could address my question rather than ignore it and attack me personally. Or....no?

I am pretty sure you stated multiple times that Samsonov would get the bulk of the starts between now and the playoffs and unless he got injured he WOULD be the starter, in your opinion. IF I am mistaken and you didn't say this, I apologise.
But if you did say that, you've now moved the goalposts to say that you expected him to play last night (and because he didn't, the entire question of who is starting is now up for debate again?).

I have read hundreds of your posts over the last few years and the truth is - whether you even realise you're doing it or not - your opinions come across as if they are stated facts, or as if you have some kind of inside knowledge that the rest of us don't.
Pardon me if I'm mistaken, but I do wonder if it's because of your background in radio etc and this is your "discussion style". God knows the written word in message boards can be open to all kinds of interpretation and it's easy enough to misunderstand.

As far as the actual subject of our goalies, I prefer Vanacek over Samsonov. I think VV is the mentally stronger goalie and less likely to get rattled across games (as opposed to playing badly and getting rattled in a single game, which can happen to any goalie. It's the ability to put it behind them and come back stronger in the next game - I'm not sure I am convinced that Sammy can do that, yet).
I can't speak about fundamentals or technical ability etc because I just don't know the position enough to provide any kind of informed opinion.
A while ago I did say that I believe VV came into these season with no expectations of playing at the NHL level, or perhaps only getting a few backup games at best. Whereas Sammy was the "anointed one" and therefore has all the pressure on him.
VV seems to have been perfectly comfortable with taking the chances given to him, whether it's starting 8 in a row or missing a few games and then getting the nod like he did yesterday and going in and not missing a beat.
That - to me - is an intangible quality and is one of the big reasons I have faith in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad