Post-Game Talk: Fish Stix vs WashingtonlessOviens - 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Just back from the game! Wow! So good to be back in the building! This sport is so much better live. Can see so much happening away from the puck. We just dominated puck possession. Always in good dee posture. VV was timely and solid.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
The player that stood out to me the most is Sprong. He skated hard on every shift both forecheck and back check. Created opportunities. Scored. That game consistently and he is our 3RW next year. In meantime we have 13 solid forwards. I like all that that brings.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You almost never lose your starting job if you go out with injury. So i suspect Shultz will be back in when healthy. He may have a shorter leash. And for sure i think this dagger in coffin for be exposed in expansion draft. Will likely be Dillon who stays (although i know some here think they will protect Jensen).

I would think if Schultz were exposed, Seattle would pass on him because he would only have one year of contract left.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I would think if Schultz were exposed, Seattle would pass on him because he would only have one year of contract left.
Which means Vanecek is a higher risk. Don’t think they will take Jensen but that would be better.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
The player that stood out to me the most is Sprong. He skated hard on every shift both forecheck and back check. Created opportunities. Scored. That game consistently and he is our 3RW next year. In meantime we have 13 solid forwards. I like all that that brings.
Wanted to write last time. Sprong can be our Connolly , he wears #10 too, only with much higher potential.

Glad that our young goalies are doing well. Hopefully they continue into the playoffs.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I gotta say I'm impressed with the Caps' win today, and this series against the Isles in general. They're actually starting to show that extra gear in terms of collective effort and precision that they're gonna need to contend against the faster teams -- something they've been missing for a long time. And lately it doesn't look like a fluke, either.

Sprong has been a huge success story for the Caps, the Connolly comparison fits, he could be a big difference maker in playoffs with a few timely goals. With all due respect to Raffl, who's been fine, give those reps to Sprong when Ovi returns.

Eller deserves a healthy dose of appreciation IMO, haven't looked at the numbers, but to my eyes he's just always working like a mule to make sure that his line does well in battle for possession - and he finally has some linemates that can help him with that.

Now the main thing... Mantha oozes talent -- not just the obvious physical tools, but he's reading plays well, making tricky precise passes, and it all seems pretty effortless for him - just a natural born 1st line winger with a complete offensive toolbox. And especially compared to Vrana, his fit with Backstrom & Oshie is just on a whole different plane.

Overall, the Mantha trade has made a big difference. It sucks that the Caps couldn't get the most out of Vrana and had to basically sell low, but it looks like they've at least hit a home run with Mantha -- all the forward lines have almost immediately clicked into place. It's like they've replaced a malfunctioning part with exactly the right gear, and now the whole mechanism is coming back online.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe

Which means they get either a 2nd or 1st rounder for him at the TDL, or trade and retain right off the back to a cap-strapped contender. Everyone seems to forget Seattle has to draft 30 players (and likely an extra couple of guys via protection trades) for 22 NHL spots – not everyone they draft will be drafted to play for them long-term, and at least 5 or 6 guys will be drafted to be traded right away.

Expansion draft teams don’t just draft the BPA from each team, but rather the best player who fills:
  • Their draft quotas (enough Ds, enough Fs, 3 Gs) and either
  • fits their on-ice needs (would Dillon be one of their top-3 LD? Do they draft enough RDs? Do they have enough forwards who can shoot? Is Vivek an upgrade on whoever else would be their number 2 goalie?) or
  • Helps them acquire as many draft picks and/or A/B prospects over the first two years as possible.
Vegas drafted TVR and immediately flipped him; guys like James Neal were drafted with the intention of flipping them at the deadline (before they got accidentally competitive), Fleury was drafted to be their franchise goaltender and Schmidt one of their key Ds long-term. I suspect Seattle is going to be keeping a close eye on a number of our guys:
  • Sprong (man can he shoot)
  • Dillon (leadership and physicality)
  • Schultz (PP QB and offensive-D man)
  • Jensen (Strong PKer with good wheels)
  • Vanecek (NHL goaltender who’s still developing and cheap for 1 more year)
  • TVR (good #6 on a great contract – either cheap for Seattle or highly tradeable)
  • Dowd (good PKer, good on faceoffs, energy, scoring punch from 4th line)
  • Hagelin (4th liner but plays with energy, great wheels, forecheck and strong PKer)
  • Hathaway (can PK, good wheels, plays with grit and not afraid to get dirty)
And that’s assuming Oshie and Sheary are both protected. All that’s certain is Seattle is getting someone quality off the Caps, unless we pay them to take LuJo or something. Unless they see Vanecek getting too expensive when he’s an RFA after next season, there appears to be far less choice in quality goaltending for Seattle than in forwards and defensemen this time around. But you never know.

Reactions: Empty Goal Net

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
(What a game by the boys, by the way. VV didn’t stand on his head to get us the shutout, but we want games where our Gs don’t have to stand on their heads to get the win. Good response by the forwards and defense after an offensively-strong previous game where they gave up a little too much. I think Trotz is doing everything he can with what he’s been dealt this year, but they don’t have the scoring power to go as far as they did last season, I don’t think.)

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Sprong is showing he can be successful a top 6 forward in this league. I’m not sure about his ability to survive as a bottom 6 guy though - where there’s a higher premium on attributes like defensive responsibility and puck management. Those areas of his game looked OK last night, but they’ve been pretty inconsistent all year. If he wants a permanent place in our lineup it would have to be as bottom 6 guy (unless you flip him and Mantha, so he plays with Nick and Oshie and that seems like a bad idea), and I think the jury is still out on him in that role.

Raffl may not have anything close to Sprong’s scoring touch, but he’s otherwise shown himself to be a very solid 3rd liner so far, and all the things he’s good at as a 3rd liner (and that Sprong is still a little spotty on) are things you need in a 3rd line in the playoffs, where that line’s top responsibility is to neutralize the opposition’s top 6. Sprong plays much more of a “trade chances” kind of game, which makes him an uneasy fit on the 3rd line

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
That was one of the best games I've seen the Caps play in years. That was relentless from start to finish. Isles had nothing.

Reactions: kicksavedave

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So I have to imagine @maacoshark is loving these 1-0 Caps wins, right?

I sure am!

From a team performance standpoint, that was total playoff hockey. Great passing, energy, awareness, decision making, etc. Top notch TOP NOTCH.

But you don't want the refs having any chance to nullify all that with a couple of shitty power plays, as they almost did.

So no thanks on the 1-0 games. Too little room for error. Pile it on and don't stop.

Reactions: Neil Racki

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
From a team performance standpoint, that was total playoff hockey. Great passing, energy, awareness, decision making, etc. Top notch TOP NOTCH.

But you don't want the refs having any chance to nullify all that with a couple of shitty power plays, as they almost did.

So no thanks on the 1-0 games. Too little room for error. Pile it on and don't stop.

Wait, so you're saying you'd rather the Caps win 3-0 than 1-0?

200.gif

Reactions: g00n and Neil Racki

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I think it's generally amusing how all these series are supposed to determine who is going to be #1 in the East throughout this season. Philadelphia-Washington, Boston-Washington, NY Islanders-Washington, and now this week Pittsburgh-Washington.

I'm beginning to see a pattern here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Corby78
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad