Post-Game Talk: Fish Stix vs WashingtonlessOviens - 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I am pretty sure you stated multiple times that Samsonov would get the bulk of the starts between now and the playoffs and unless he got injured he WOULD be the starter, in your opinion. IF I am mistaken and you didn't say this, I apologise.
But if you did say that, you've now moved the goalposts to say that you expected him to play last night (and because he didn't, the entire question of who is starting is now up for debate again?).

I have read hundreds of your posts over the last few years and the truth is - whether you even realise you're doing it or not - your opinions come across as if they are stated facts, or as if you have some kind of inside knowledge that the rest of us don't.
Pardon me if I'm mistaken, but I do wonder if it's because of your background in radio etc and this is your "discussion style". God knows the written word in message boards can be open to all kinds of interpretation and it's easy enough to misunderstand.

As far as the actual subject of our goalies, I prefer Vanacek over Samsonov. I think VV is the mentally stronger goalie and less likely to get rattled across games (as opposed to playing badly and getting rattled in a single game, which can happen to any goalie. It's the ability to put it behind them and come back stronger in the next game - I'm not sure I am convinced that Sammy can do that, yet).
I can't speak about fundamentals or technical ability etc because I just don't know the position enough to provide any kind of informed opinion.
A while ago I did say that I believe VV came into these season with no expectations of playing at the NHL level, or perhaps only getting a few backup games at best. Whereas Sammy was the "anointed one" and therefore has all the pressure on him.
VV seems to have been perfectly comfortable with taking the chances given to him, whether it's starting 8 in a row or missing a few games and then getting the nod like he did yesterday and going in and not missing a beat.
That - to me - is an intangible quality and is one of the big reasons I have faith in him.
VV had a couple pretty lousy games back to back, no? So I don’t know that we can say for certain he has the mental fortitude needed in the playoffs, that he always bounces back. On the other hand Samsonov has shown some bounce back at times. I do think overall VV has been more consistent and perhaps it’s easier on the defense to know what to expect, know their goalie will stop the stoppable shots while they just work to keep him from having to make 10 bell saves.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
VV had a couple pretty lousy games back to back, no? So I don’t know that we can say for certain he has the mental fortitude needed in the playoffs, that he always bounces back. On the other hand Samsonov has shown some bounce back at times. I do think overall VV has been more consistent and perhaps it’s easier on the defense to know what to expect, know their goalie will stop the stoppable shots while they just work to keep him from having to make 10 bell saves.

Yep I agree with this. Our goalies aren't (yet) of the calibre that they are going to single-handedly drag the team to a Cup victory. They need the support of the guys in front of them. And if the team continues to play like they did against the Isles then our opponents should be very concerned
when the playoffs roll around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad