Goalies: First time goalie

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Well first of all, the guys at Don Simmons claim their product to be a Pro level pad (that's debatable, some goalies that have used their pads are happy but some goalie gear guru's have taken their gear apart and said their gear is not up to par compared to a pro line). But for the sake of our discussion, lets call Simmons pads pro pads and leave it at that. So.... technically, you bought pro pads! :)

PS, what Simmons line did you get? Did you order their pads custom made recently or did you buy a brand new old stock from a dealer?

The guys there wouldn't even let you make a +3 thighrise so I reallllly doubt they offer custom made 12" custom pads....

Edit: Simmons would also qualify with Battram, Brown, Viper, etc as one of the smaller companies that make custom designed "pro level" pads.

I got some Ultra Lights. Not sure the model number. All I know is that I got an outsanding deal and love my pads. They were not custom at all. So I must have bought some old stock. so please excuse my previous post. I thought companies were still producing pads that do not conform to the current NHL requirements.

Like I said, I was never an equipment junkie. I didn't get my first set of new pads until I was a junior in high school, so making sure I had top of the line name brand gear was never really a priority

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
I got some Ultra Lights. Not sure the model number. All I know is that I got an outsanding deal and love my pads. They were not custom at all. So I must have bought some old stock. so please excuse my previous post. I thought companies were still producing pads that do not conform to the current NHL requirements.

Like I said, I was never an equipment junkie. I didn't get my first set of new pads until I was a junior in high school, so making sure I had top of the line name brand gear was never really a priority

When I said Pro Gear I didn't mean "buy Reebok or Vaughn only", I meant, buy pro level pads that are protective and durable, which, you appear to have done as well with your Ultralights.

So we are pretty much on the same page, you just have a very different definition of pro gear than the rest of us ;)

Aucoin11*

maybe I am mistaken, but the Simmons pads I bought last year were pre-regulations specs and were brand new. Maybe Im wrong, I was never much of an equipment person.

then why make a bold declarative equipment post? and then refuse to delete your previous post?

HockeyStickHomicide

Registered Abuser
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
goalie-fight.jpg

Habby77

Feb 9, 2009
Planet Earth
How often do you get your skates sharpened as a goalie? Sunday will be my 3rd game. Also, what kind of sharpening do you get? I was told by my bro-in-law to get a figure skate-type cut....? I just told the local sports store to sharpen my skates with a regular goalie cut.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
How often do you get your skates sharpened as a goalie? Sunday will be my 3rd game. Also, what kind of sharpening do you get? I was told by my bro-in-law to get a figure skate-type cut....? I just told the local sports store to sharpen my skates with a regular goalie cut.

I have no idea what a figure skate type cut is, but I would never go into a store and tell them "regular goalie cut" as most of them wouldn't have a clue of what that is.

Personally I get mine done at the beginning of the month and the middle of the month. I skate anywhere from 2-5 times per week.

During the warmer months I have mine done at 1/2", but as it is getting colder and the ice is getting harder I will go to 7/16" or 3/8".

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
Simmons will make +3 pads

I read a thread on GSBB a week ago from a customer that said he couldn't custom order a +3 pad so they had to make it a plus 2 and then move the knee cradle down an inch.

Not sure where the thread is I am having trouble finding it.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
I read a thread on GSBB a week ago from a customer that said he couldn't custom order a +3 pad so they had to make it a plus 2 and then move the knee cradle down an inch.

Not sure where the thread is I am having trouble finding it.

I've talked with both Mark and Rick, both said they can do it. Now, it may be that they are doing what you are saying, but, in the end, it will be a +3.

Aucoin11*

7/16ths, might try 3/8ths soon. It used to be every 5-10 skates, but now that I've switched to step its probably more like every 10 to 15. That first cut freshness lasts for at least the first 5 skates if not more with step. It is truly wonderful. I'm sure I could get it to last even longer if nets around here had that rubber guard.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
This guy's videos are for inline/roller hockey goalies but a lot of the same concepts apply to ice and they are really good tips so I thought I would share them here. Here's just one video but there's more on his channel.

He plays for Great Britain and competed in the top division of the world inline hokey championships this year, so he knows his stuff. I played ice against him a few times, nicest guy you could ever meet too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad