Goalies: First time goalie

HockeyStickHomicide

Registered Abuser
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
-Kinda OT but I like to play out from time to time, my player skates are heavier than my goalie skates. So when I go back to playing goal the next time my legs feel lighter, even with the pads on.

May feel funky now, but after awhile you will prefer goalie skates, trust us.

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
-Kinda OT but I like to play out from time to time, my player skates are heavier than my goalie skates. So when I go back to playing goal the next time my legs feel lighter, even with the pads on.

May feel funky now, but after awhile you will prefer goalie skates, trust us.

haha, i kknow what you mean, i put extra weights on my pads during warmup so that during a game it feels like feather to move around

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
haha, i kknow what you mean, i put extra weights on my pads during warmup so that during a game it feels like feather to move around

What kind of weights?

When I played rugby they used to make us run with these strapped on our legs, they don't look like much but they are heavy, I'm sure you could probably use them for skating too
ankleweights.jpg

Also the extra weight from my pads is the reason I can't skate or even walk properly in my goalie skates without my pads on, it feels too weird

HockeyStickHomicide

Registered Abuser
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
That would probably be great for practices.
Used to be that you didnt have to do this, 20 minutes into the practice my old coopers would weight like 3x what they did at the beginning.:laugh:
Crazy that pads now weigh like a lb each.

green lantern

Jun 4, 2012
sector 2814
i know it's a few posts back but I will also hop on the bandwagon and don't even bother experimenting with player skates to see which one you'd like. If you're in the butterfly (meaning skate blade pointed to the back of the net) and get one in the foot in players skates, you will have a broken foot.It's also a lot harder in players skates, they aren't designed for lateral and short movements.

I'm a goalie and a referee. Can't wear the goal skates while refereeing so I wear both sets of skates regularily. Goalie skates lose the speed and ability to stop on a dime but the only time you'd ever do this is a bolt for the bench or loose puck.

The toughest thing is the equipment. The good thing is at your age of 35 it will get easier for you. The older you get, the less likely guys are to want to play net. It's hard on the body after so many years, many of them give up hockey or find a new position. I still consider it a minor miracle that Bernie Parent played the winter classic at his age.

Habby77

Feb 9, 2009
Planet Earth
So I tried that goalie website that was mentioned a few posts ago - great site but I still cannot post anything - I think the MOD's there run like molasses in January!

Anyways - got 80% of my equip - going with all used with exception of jock, of course. But my brother started making jokes and really made me start to worry, saying that once I am done in the butterfly I won't be able to get up cause I am not used to pads, etc.

WTF?!!

Now I am totally stressed thinking I will look like a fish out of water out there! :(

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
So I tried that goalie website that was mentioned a few posts ago - great site but I still cannot post anything - I think the MOD's there run like molasses in January!

Anyways - got 80% of my equip - going with all used with exception of jock, of course. But my brother started making jokes and really made me start to worry, saying that once I am done in the butterfly I won't be able to get up cause I am not used to pads, etc.

WTF?!!

Now I am totally stressed thinking I will look like a fish out of water out there! :(

Don't worry I have seen a 60 year old woman who can get up from butterfly, albeit slowly :laugh:

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com

WTF?!!

So practice at home. Put on your pads with your skates (put blade covers back on after your pads are on), butterfly, get up, get set in your crouch, repeat.

The one exercise I would strongly recommend doing on a regular basis are wall squats.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
If you know exactly what you are looking for i think its hard to beat some of the prices on goaliemonkey.com.

Even with shipping i still saved 50% on the gear I bought from them a couple of years ago.

Habby77

Feb 9, 2009
Planet Earth
Did anyone see my highlight last night on TSN? LMAO!

Played goal for the first time in my life last night and LOVED IT! No more forward for this dude! LOVE playing net!!

One question - are chest protectors supposed to make me feel restricted? My protector is RBK senior but I honestly felt it was too bulky - am I out in left field about this or is is supposed to be bulky?

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Did anyone see my highlight last night on TSN? LMAO!

Played goal for the first time in my life last night and LOVED IT! No more forward for this dude! LOVE playing net!!

One question - are chest protectors supposed to make me feel restricted? My protector is RBK senior but I honestly felt it was too bulky - am I out in left field about this or is is supposed to be bulky?

No, a good c/a should be protective but mobile. It may just take you time to get used to it.

CoopALoop

Apr 19, 2012
Van, Bandwagoner
No, a good c/a should be protective but mobile. It may just take you time to get used to it.

This is my guess. It takes a while to get used to moving around in all of this gear.

Plus, reeboks have a reputation of being less mobile (longer break in time) but very "tank-like".

Glad you enjoy it. Your wallet won't. :handclap:

Habby77

Feb 9, 2009
Planet Earth
So got the chest protector thing resolved - ditched the RBK and went with a Sherwood - so less bulky!

Was wondering what fellow goalie thoughts are on thigh-guards? I currently use thigh guards, which work great, but my issue is my knees. I am rather hard on them when I drop to the butterfly and knees are taking a beating because no padding in the thigh-guard.

Am I just using crap thigh-guards? Should I wear vollyball knee pads WITH the thigh-guards?

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
We need a "Inside the Crease" sub-forum under "The Rink" for us Goalies. Have to find somewhere to post this.

I'm also a new goalie. My situation is a bit different. In one day I bought E V E R Y T H I N G, but did research prior. I have little patience and started quick. You will be overwhelmed the first day on the ice. As a normal skater, I felt very uncomfortable. Almost discouraging, but you gotta work through it. I skipped the thigh guards and went with knee guards. I started with some Bauers but didn't like the hard knee cup. Then I bought Passau's and they have been the single best upgrade I've had yet. Sounds crazy but it's very true. You want to feel comfortable. I can't stress that enough. It's extremely important to "feel" good. If you haven't checked out my thread, you can see my whole progress here. Even my very first day in net! http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1267153&page=3

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
Another thing I've learned is making adjustments. First time out you'll learn a lot. But let me give you an example what I've changed through the past week.

Lowest buckle always shakes loose, figured a way to loop it tight now.

Upper arm protection lacks in my pads, bought arm pads to put underneath.

Knee pads I rig a string of tape through the top hoops to connect to my under armor goalie pants. Hard to explain, but I rigged a way for my knee pads to stay up by connecting them to a strap built in on my goalie nylon under pants.

Taped my stick different on what's comfortable.

Still don't have my leg pad straps to perfection, but getting there. For the first time I marked them all with a marker yesterday.

Today I'm going to use my suspenders to hold my pants up a inch or two. While it's not a huge problem, it's something I started to notice.

Undo all your glove and blocker straps, and re-strap to your liking with them on.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
NM nothing to see here. Goalie just had a goalie moment and made a fool of himself

Last edited:

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
My advice to anyone purchasing pads to play in beer leagues,

DON'T BUY PRO PADS.

NHL rules prohibit things like the built in thigh guards and so on. Not only are the non-pro pads cheaper, they are a bit bigger and cover up more of the net/offer more protection to the goalie.

what the heck are you talking about. :laugh:

pretty much any pads, senior or pro level, made prior to the pre lockout, are old NHL specs (leg pads are 12" wide, glove diameter being 48 inchs, etc)

and most if not all pads (save for custom pad makers like battram and brown), senior or pro level made after the lockout are made using the new regulations (11' wide pads and 45 inch diameter of the pocket)

Pro pads just means the same quality and materials used by the pros at a given time. you can buy a set of john browns from the 1990s and they are still pro pads.

on the other hand, if you are gonna buy a more recently made pad, be it the crappy bauer rx4 or the top end rx10, they are still going to be made using the new nhl rules

bottom line: senior pads and pro pads = same specs, different protection and durability

FreshNsoClean

Skater turned Goalie
Mar 15, 2008
State of Hockey
My advice to anyone purchasing pads to play in beer leagues,

DON'T BUY PRO PADS.

NHL rules prohibit things like the built in thigh guards and so on. Not only are the non-pro pads cheaper, they are a bit bigger and cover up more of the net/offer more protection to the goalie.

What the heck? I disagree 1000% and could type a novel .... :sarcasm:

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
what the heck are you talking about. :laugh:

pretty much any pads, senior or pro level, made prior to the pre lockout, are old NHL specs (leg pads are 12" wide, glove diameter being 48 inchs, etc)

and most if not all pads (save for custom pad makers like battram and brown), senior or pro level made after the lockout are made using the new regulations (11' wide pads and 45 inch diameter of the pocket)

Pro pads just means the same quality and materials used by the pros at a given time. you can buy a set of john browns from the 1990s and they are still pro pads.

maybe I am mistaken, but the Simmons pads I bought last year were pre-regulations specs and were brand new. Maybe Im wrong, I was never much of an equipment person.

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
maybe I am mistaken, but the Simmons pads I bought last year were pre-regulations specs and were brand new. Maybe Im wrong, I was never much of an equipment person.

Well first of all, the guys at Don Simmons claim their product to be a Pro level pad (that's debatable, some goalies that have used their pads are happy but some goalie gear guru's have taken their gear apart and said their gear is not up to par compared to a pro line). But for the sake of our discussion, lets call Simmons pads pro pads and leave it at that. So.... technically, you bought pro pads! :)

PS, what Simmons line did you get? Did you order their pads custom made recently or did you buy a brand new old stock from a dealer?

The guys there wouldn't even let you make a +3 thighrise so I reallllly doubt they offer custom made 12" custom pads....

Edit: Simmons would also qualify with Battram, Brown, Viper, etc as one of the smaller companies that make custom designed "pro level" pads.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad