Goalies: First time goalie

Habby77

Feb 9, 2009
Planet Earth
I am 35 and have always wanted to become a goalie. I play either forward or defense but stink.

Was just wondering what are goalie skates like? Are they painful to wear? Exactly what I am looking at when it comes to venturing into this position?

Keep in mind it will be in a very rookie league with no slap shots or contact of any kind - basically all married guys my age.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
the goalie skate is closer to the ice and also has a wider blade.

they feel the same comfort wise compared to regular skates. in fact the boot of the goalie skate is exactly the same as a regular skate, the only difference is the cowling thats added and the wider blade like i mentioned

esidebill

Jun 1, 2012
Long Island, NY
You'll find the price of goalie gear turns a lot of people away. I wanted to try it out until I realized decent quality goalie gear would cost me around 2000+ (new that is, probably cheaper used. I recommend going the used route on everything but helmets, skates) :( I can't find much used being 6'5.

Habby77

Feb 9, 2009
Planet Earth
You'll find the price of goalie gear turns a lot of people away. I wanted to try it out until I realized decent quality goalie gear would cost me around 2000+ (new that is, probably cheaper used. I recommend going the used route on everything but helmets, skates) :( I can't find much used being 6'5.

I am going with used for everything. I am 6' bang-on so hopefully will be able to find some stuff.
The first thing I want to get is the skates so I can try them ahead of time - If I find it hard to skate or move no sense on blowing money on unneeded equipment.

esidebill

Jun 1, 2012
Long Island, NY
I am going with used for everything. I am 6' bang-on so hopefully will be able to find some stuff.
The first thing I want to get is the skates so I can try them ahead of time - If I find it hard to skate or move no sense on blowing money on unneeded equipment.

The skating is a bit different because you need to work on pushing laterally off your edges and gliding sideways. So practicing skating with them is a good idea.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Yea there isn't a single stride that transfers over from playing forward/Defense to goaltending. Also uses completely different muscle groups so even if you think you are in hockey shape, it will take time to get used to the grind of goaltending.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
the goalie skate is closer to the ice and also has a wider blade.

they feel the same comfort wise compared to regular skates. in fact the boot of the goalie skate is exactly the same as a regular skate, the only difference is the cowling thats added and the wider blade like i mentioned

Umm nope sorry not even close! The boot of a goalie skate is lower, the tendon guard on most is flexible for movement , the blade it's self has no curve to it at all it is flat, my 1 100 have a 3mm blade width same as a out skate. I would say get your skates and pads and take them out to open skates. it is a whole different world playing in the net, not as easy as people think.

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
Umm nope sorry not even close! The boot of a goalie skate is lower, the tendon guard on most is flexible for movement , the blade it's self has no curve to it at all it is flat, my 1 100 have a 3mm blade width same as a out skate. I would say get your skates and pads and take them out to open skates. it is a whole different world playing in the net, not as easy as people think.

ha, i stand corrected, i took out my goalie skate and compared like you said. you were right. i just never noticed the difference so i assumed they were the same

OP, one of the previous posters is exactly right. even if you are able to last 3 hours as a skater, you might have a tough time lasting more than 30 mins in your first ice session as a goalie. i know after my first session my groin killed the rest of the week.

if you are gonna buy used gear, try using
goalietraders.com,

goaliestore.com's classifieds,

adhuntrs.com is another good one, it searches all the craigslist from all over the US so you see a lot of steals daily

lastly, try joining some facebook groups for goalies. there are a few groups that are like swap meets for goalie gears.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Yea there isn't a single stride that transfers over from playing forward/Defense to goaltending. Also uses completely different muscle groups so even if you think you are in hockey shape, it will take time to get used to the grind of goaltending.

Well that's not really true. I mean, it's a fair warning, and people constantly overlook the strong skating it takes to be a goaltender, but it's not like it's a completely separate and foreign set of concepts. You're still on skates, you're still on ice...there are things that do transfer. And there are a number of unique strides that goaltenders rely on heavily.

Yeah. There are a lot of subtle differences to goaltending skates beyond just the added protection and stuff. They're purpose built pieces of equipment...designed to do a special set of skating tasks really well. They will feel quite different, and they will emphasize the skating skills you'll need as a goaltender, while making it more difficult to do a lot of the things that you'd emphasize as a normal skater.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Well that's not really true. I mean, it's a fair warning, and people constantly overlook the strong skating it takes to be a goaltender, but it's not like it's a completely separate and foreign set of concepts. You're still on skates, you're still on ice...there are things that do transfer. And there are a number of unique strides that goaltenders rely on heavily

That's exactly my point. Everything a goalie does around his net is a stride/push/cut that only a goalie would ever do. The only time a goalie would ever use a stride that a skater does, is when playing the puck away from the net, and that is something I highly discourage all of my new goalies from doing. While a skater converting to a goalie will have an easier transition than someone who is getting on the ice for the first time, there are a ton of habits that have to be broken, and skating technique is always the biggest adjustment.

JonL1421

Jul 26, 2012
Ontario
When I started goaltending, I wore my player skates - goalie sharpened. They did just fine. Then when I bought used goaltending equipment, g-skates were included. I tried a couple of times but felt very off-balance. As mentioned, the blade is flat, thicker and the boot shorter and flexible. These skates were totally throwing me off so I went back to my player skates. I get the odd look but most are surprised as to how well I can play without goaltending skates. If you don't feel comfortable in g-skates, give your player skates a shot... just remember to ask for a goalie cut when sharpening - makes a huge difference. Best of luck playing the best position in sports!

Habby77

Feb 9, 2009
Planet Earth
When I started goaltending, I wore my player skates - goalie sharpened. They did just fine. Then when I bought used goaltending equipment, g-skates were included. I tried a couple of times but felt very off-balance. As mentioned, the blade is flat, thicker and the boot shorter and flexible. These skates were totally throwing me off so I went back to my player skates. I get the odd look but most are surprised as to how well I can play without goaltending skates. If you don't feel comfortable in g-skates, give your player skates a shot... just remember to ask for a goalie cut when sharpening - makes a huge difference. Best of luck playing the best position in sports!

You can ask them to sharpen them that way? What happens if the puck hits the skate? Goalie skates have that white plastic molding around them...? Also, how would you lace regular skates up of using them as a goalie?

Aucoin11*

don't listen to this person. please. don't listen

There is no such thing as a "goalie cut" anyone who EVER tells you that doesn't know what they're talking about.

I can't emphasize this enough.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
don't listen to this person. please. don't listen

There is no such thing as a "goalie cut" anyone who EVER tells you that doesn't know what they're talking about.

I can't emphasize this enough.

This DO NOT USE PLAYER SKATES ever! want a broken foot?toe? I have told ya what do, take it for what it is worth.

JonL1421

Jul 26, 2012
Ontario
Never have had an injury to my feet in 6+ years. I play twice a week, 6 months of the year, against good competition. Even play against the highschool team in annual teachers vs students game - earned my first career shutout this past December. Playing in player pants when I first started was dangerous. Wearing my Bauer 5000 suits me just fine. OP says he'll be playing in a "very rookie league" so the chance of injury is lessened. I think the sharpening I get is 2/3 which is a goalie cut. It exists, look into it. The place may also tell you that there's a risk of injury but IF wearing goalie skates doesn't feel right, why not try this option? Granted, the ideal situation sees you comfortable and controled in g-skates, they're designed for the position. Wearing them worsened my game so I went back to what worked. I don't regret it; it's allowed me to fulfil a life-long dream and I love it.

OP - I tie my skates a little loose around the ankle to allow me to get lower to the ice. You'd have to try different "tightnesses" ang go with what best suits you. Everyone is different.

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
This DO NOT USE PLAYER SKATES ever! want a broken foot?toe? I have told ya what do, take it for what it is worth.

this needs to be emphasized again.

@JonL1421 just because you got lucky with not getting hurt in the last 6 years doesnt mean you are safe wearing a players skate. its like neck guards or visors. you might get away from not wearing them, but if a puck/skate gets you at the right spot you are seriously screwed.

JonL1421

Jul 26, 2012
Ontario
this needs to be emphasized again.

@JonL1421 just because you got lucky with not getting hurt in the last 6 years doesnt mean you are safe wearing a players skate. its like neck guards or visors. you might get away from not wearing them, but if a puck/skate gets you at the right spot you are seriously screwed.

I agree with you. That's why I've given goalie skates numerous tries but it just doesn't work for me. I hope Glenn can get used to them just fine. I wanted to share my experience / my reality with him as I'm fairly new to the position myself. In no means am I suggesting that he ignores goalie skates to play goal. But I also wouldn't want him to give up on the position because of the very different skate. I apologize if my posts were misguiding.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
First decent slap shot to the foot of johnL will result in a broken foot.

Just get goalie skates.

HockeyStickHomicide

Registered Abuser
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Coop already gave you the world in the first post. TONS of great info on that board. Anything you can think of has been covered. Search and read then apply.

Try not to catch the gear bug. Its really hard once you start to like the position and see the awesome gear out there.

CoopALoop

Apr 19, 2012
Van, Bandwagoner

This is mostly true.

From playing D for years before my transition, I know that C-cuts (sculling) heading backwards has carried over. It's my strongest aspect of "goalie" skating due to years of practice prior.

Other than that and quick strides out, definietely a different set of techniques.

Also, It took me a good 2 ice times (public skating) to get used to goalie skates. I felt like I was skating for the first time again. Was horrible.

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
Another place for used goalie gear besides the places already mentioned (such as goaliestore.com) is kijiji (a lot more popular than craigslist in Canada or at least my part of Canada) , ads pinned on the bulletin boards of your local arenas, and sometimes the prices aren't too bad at play-it-again (though with the proliferation of new gear and less used gear they should consider changing their name). Also, ask any goaltenders you know - they or someone they know may have some used equipment for sale - I know more than a few goalies and many of them are gear whores.

Goalie skates shouldn't be painful to wear. Like others have said will take some adjustment to skate in goalie skates and it's one piece of equipment you will definitely want to try on before buying. Different game playing goal - you are on the ice the whole game and a lot of the time it's feast or famine (standing around watching waiting for the action to get to your end, to a flurry of action and shots). You will also be stretching a whole different set of muscles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad