First round - my thoughts + synopsis

Ryan English

@ryanenglish_FC
Nov 14, 2010
Halifax, NS
^ it was a typo, 15 is supposed to read new york rangers i believe.

and this is probably the best mock i've read yet. Two thumbs up

Last edited:

Latex*

Very, very nice. One thing tho, Zibanejad is not a two way defender ;)

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
not a huge Tyler Biggs fan but he'd fit the Pens system very well.

Get To Our Game

May 31, 2008
Pittsburgh
This was a good write-up, IMO. One typo I saw was that Puempel has been a 30+ goal scorer in the OHL, not NHL obviously, but its a tiny simple typo.

I thought the picks seemed pretty realistic for each team (from my knowledge), and the player write-ups were good. Good read.

member 30781

Thanks for the effort & info...Blackhawks need a big C or W, so I don't agree with Bartschi, but we'll see..

My thoughts on this draft is that it is fairly deep no matter what most people say about it. In the later drafts, there still should be some very good talent where the Blackhawks can find their size up front. Guys like Lessio, Ambroz, Jenner, and Lowry are solid picks in the 2nd round that the Blackhawks could pick up.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Thanks for the effort. IMO, rnh is nearly a lock for #1 right now, but Larsson wouldn't shock me. I'm not exactly thrilled with Phillips at 19, but if the players from 1-18 are all gone, then most of the guys I really want are gone so I wouldn't be displeased with taking Phillips.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I too would be shocked if RNH wasn't the first pick. The Oil brass pretty much gave it away in the final episode of Oil Change with how much they focused on RNH. Stu really likes him.

Good job on the mock though. A couple of small surprises that I could see happening.

member 30781

I'm assuming that RNH goes first as well, but I think Larsson is the better pick. I feel a Larsson/Phillips combo is more dangerous than an RNH and any defenseman at the 19th spot. I've been a fan of Larsson's all season (RNH's as well), but I always think defense is more important than offense.

I also haven't seen Oil Change since about the middle of the season so I haven't realized how big of a following RNH has gotten from the scouting staff, but it doesn't shock me to say the least. Both RNH and Larsson will be fantastic players.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
I'm assuming that RNH goes first as well, but I think Larsson is the better pick. I feel a Larsson/Phillips combo is more dangerous than an RNH and any defenseman at the 19th spot. I've been a fan of Larsson's all season (RNH's as well), but I always think defense is more important than offense.

I also haven't seen Oil Change since about the middle of the season so I haven't realized how big of a following RNH has gotten from the scouting staff, but it doesn't shock me to say the least. Both RNH and Larsson will be fantastic players.

Well then it should be a ranking and not a mock, because a mock is supposed to be who you think the team will pick, not who's perhaps the better pick, and as of right now I don't see too many people putting Larsson #1 anyway.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Not bad. However, a lot of the heights and weights are not correct. I assume you use hockeydb, which isn't a good source for measurements. I suggest you use the chl websites or the IIHF for those that played at the u18. Eliteprospects.com is also valid.

Cheers

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
I'd personally take the 1st-line center over the potential #1 D. 1st line centers don't grow on trees.

member 30781

Even if you believe this, don't you agree that in the new NHL it's been much easier to get a top d-man than first-line centre?

A top d-man, yes.

A top d-man of Larsson's caliber and potential, no.

Larsson's upside is just through the roof. RNH's is very high as well, but comparisons to Lidstrom or Pronger in the style that Larsson plays, you certainly don't find those types of defensemen growing on trees everywhere you turn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad