Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
My new favorite person :biglaugh:

0dIyjgj.gif

:laugh:

That's freakin' awesome. :D

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Watching our prospect pool grow at times seems painfully slow, but then a Helle pops up and makes it all worth it...

It's crazy early, but if Helle can be an elite goalie, man, this is going to radically boost our team going forward...

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
now, before you bring out the oils to anoint Hellebuyck as king, still remember that:

1. he's only had 3 NHL starts
2. one of them was a 15 shot performance (!)
3. one was against the hapless Leafs, who did get shots off, but how many were quality scoring opportunities
4. he's at the learning/growth curve part of his career, which means that you can expect him to lay some eggs. in fact, statistically, and this may come as a shock to most of you, he's likely not gonna be a goaltender with a 1.00 GAA. pendulums swing. so he's due for a 4 goal game sooner vs later

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
now, before you bring out the oils to anoint Hellebuyck as king, still remember that:

3. one was against the hapless Leafs, who did get shots off, but how many were quality scoring opportunities
4. he's at the learning/growth curve part of his career, which means that you can expect him to lay some eggs. in fact, statistically, and this may come as a shock to most of you, he's likely not gonna be a goaltender with a 1.00 GAA. pendulums swing. so he's due for a 4 goal game sooner vs later

the Leafs just kicked St. Louis ass. Don't undersell ;)

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015

5. The majority of us here understands one thru four there will be bumps in the road but for now Mo Maurice ride the Hot goalie for it could end today or it could go on and on and on for only God knows, so let the Hot Hellebuyck play its his adventure and we all hang on for the ride for were three games in and we play today so lets see how far our Hellebuyck and our Jets in front takes us all.

6. You only have to remember Goalie streaks of win after win do happen in the NHL and guess what we deserver one and maybe its our turn now for a streak so stop poo pooing and enjoy the game for we face reality everyday in this crazy world and as for Hellebuyck I hope he breaks records after NHL records.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I came close to making a pump the brakes post and tend to agree. I think he has the best pedigree of any of our tenders and will be our #1 goalie soon but I am Leary about dropping the weight of our franchise on him which has happened a bit.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I came close to making a pump the brakes post and tend to agree. I think he has the best pedigree of any of our tenders and will be our #1 goalie soon but I am Leary about dropping the weight of our franchise on him which has happened a bit.

He does for sure have the best pedigree of any of our goalies or prospects (although Comrie is tantalizingly close in potential). Sure he'll will have his struggles along the way.

IMO he or Comrie will be our #1 goalie for a long time once they turf the chaff we have here now. Hutch, still has the potential to be a good goalie & may serve well as our backup, but Pavs days are definitely numbered

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

Not sure if serious.

We know

He's played well in 3 games, that's fun.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013

I agree, but I just can't get past the fact that this was posted by someone named after HannuJarvenpa. :laugh:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Has anyone had the Chicken & Waffle sandwich combo at the MTS Centre? Looks like it comes topped with cheese and bacon, and the combo also comes with fries and coleslaw.

I forget the real name of it (starts with an H) - but looking to hear if anyone can recommend it.

The Hercules. Chicken strips, pepper jack cheese, bacon, maple mayo between two waffles. Very tasty, but it felt like a brick in my gut for a couple of hours after eating. I can't even imagine adding fries to that. Probably won't order one again but had to try it.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I agree, but I just can't get past the fact that this was posted by someone named after HannuJarvenpa. :laugh:

one day, Hannu will live up to his pre-season potential. you just wait.

5. The majority of us here understands one thru four there will be bumps in the road but for now Mo Maurice ride the Hot goalie for it could end today or it could go on and on and on for only God knows, so let the Hot Hellebuyck play its his adventure and we all hang on for the ride for were three games in and we play today so lets see how far our Hellebuyck and our Jets in front takes us all.

6. You only have to remember Goalie streaks of win after win do happen in the NHL and guess what we deserver one and maybe its our turn now for a streak so stop poo pooing and enjoy the game for we face reality everyday in this crazy world and as for Hellebuyck I hope he breaks records after NHL records.

you don't play Hellebuyck today. makes close to zero sense. rookie goalie, back to back, Hutch's record vs Chicago.
a goalie's winning streak is usually balanced out statistically over the course of a season. just remember that.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Yeah, but that is the risk when a potential future star is dropped into a vacuum. The underachieving starter is injured long term and the back up has been struggling for several months. Fans are willing to anoint a hero (myself included). The good thing is sometimes players are truly ready for their opportunity and never look back. At this point I'm willing to bet that Helly can be just that player.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I pretty much agree with Georgetown Al on this one actually. I think Helly should get the start today. Frankly, I think he has just as much chance of beating the Hawks as Hutch in spite of the b2b, and who knows? If he wins maybe he goes on one of those streaks that one or 2 goalies every season seem to get on. Dubnyk last year for example - they rode him hard for about 30 games or something.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER

Does anybody know who holds the record for consecutive wins, starting by their first ever NHL game?

My research wasn't precisely successful. Patrick Lalime started his NHL career going 13-0-2 when starting a game in the 1996/97 season. 14-0-2 if you count his first win in which he didn't start though.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I pretty much agree with Georgetown Al on this one actually. I think Helly should get the start today. Frankly, I think he has just as much chance of beating the Hawks as Hutch in spite of the b2b, and who knows? If he wins maybe he goes on one of those streaks that one or 2 goalies every season seem to get on. Dubnyk last year for example - they rode him hard for about 30 games or something.

So there's traditionally a .11 save p% drop in back to backs. That brings Helle down to .954 for todays game?? SOUNDS GOOD TO ME! :handclap:

That being said, and I can't believe I'm typing this... it's so h a r d to do... you ... you... just say it... ok, you start Hutch.
There I said it.
Wow, that was not easy.

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
:shakehead:shakeheadyou don't play Hellebuyck today. makes close to zero sense. rookie goalie, back to back, Hutch's record vs Chicago.:shakehead:shakehead
:shakehead:shakeheada goalie's winning streak is usually balanced out statistically over the course of a season. just remember that. :shakehead:shakehead
[/QUOTE]yogistewart

Paul Maurice decides if Hellebuyck plays b2b today so you just remember that! :handclap::nod::handclap::nod::handclap:

Makes close to zero sense. rookie goalie, back to back Hell E - YES.... play the hot Goalie!

Last edited:

JMT21

I Give A Dam!
Aug 8, 2011
In My House
The only camera angle I believe they showed on TV during the review was an overhead shot. From that it was clear the puck crossed the blue line before Wheeler. I don't know how the refs didn't see that assuming they saw the play from the same angle. Would only make sense to have cameras looking right down the blue line. That would make the call conclusive... IMO.

As for today.... I would start Hutch only because it's Chicago and I don't think he's lost them yet... I think. :handclap:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
The only camera angle I believe they showed on TV during the review was an overhead shot. From that it was clear the puck crossed the blue line before Wheeler. I don't know how the refs didn't see that assuming they saw the play from the same angle. Would only make sense to have cameras looking right down the blue line. That would make the call conclusive... IMO.

As for today.... I would start Hutch only because it's Chicago and I don't think he's lost them yet... I think. :handclap:

see now to my way of thinking, Hutch is due for a loss to Chicago...

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

No they showed a couple long shots where it showed that Wheeler lifted his back foot to take a stride. It was inconclusive whether or not the toe of his skate remained on the ice. Since the original call was a goal, it stood because it was inconclusive.

I wouldn't have been surprised if his whole foot was off the ice, making him offside. 2 things I got from this:

A> It shouldn't be whether someone's foot is off the ice or not. It should be whether they break the plane of the blueline completely before the puck

B> Video reviews for offside is stupid. You can't review a blown offside as they whistle the puck down. If there's a 3 on 1 and they say it's offside and it's reviewed/ overturned, what would they do? They cannot review it equally so they shouldn't review it at all.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
B> Video reviews for offside is stupid. You can't review a blown offside as they whistle the puck down. If there's a 3 on 1 and they say it's offside and it's reviewed/ overturned, what would they do? They cannot review it equally so they shouldn't review it at all.

Yeah, totally agree. This is the biggest issue with this rule ( not the only) , it's only called in favour of the defensive team. If it can't aid both sides equally at the same time, it shouldn't be a rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad