Post-Game Talk: FIRST BRO! Oilers vs Jets, 8:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
You could infer from Maurice's post gamer that the upcoming cutdown might not be as severe as advertised due the mounting injuries. Maybe all 4 survive a little longer.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Not sure I agree with you Surge...

I think Petan may be equally if not more ready.

At this point the difference with him and Lowry could have been mostly from Lowry benefiting from better/easier deployment.

I thought Lowry played well. Nothing against him at all.

I agree. I think Pétan has been the best rookie. I like Lowry and want him to do well, but I just don't think he's ready yet. I think it would be most beneficial for Lowry to go back down at this point.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I like Lowry and I think he ultimately tops out as a good/very good 3rd liner but if we have dreams of running 3 scoring lines this year I'm just not sure he is that guy at this point. Though, tonight was a step in the right direction for him offensively.

Yes. Thank you veganhunter.

Hail "meat on a grill, sautéing, smoking, braising, searing". :yo:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't agree that Lowry showed more. His line showed more, so he had more high profile events. I did notice Lowry has a better release than I thought he had.

Go back and watch the game and follow Petan. Like ignore the rest of the game except for mighty Mouse.

I don't want to keep running around this track, but it is unfair not to give Lowry the credit he deserves. He played a very solid game and contributed to the line's success. If this was a regular season game everyone would be singing his praises, and he would be given full credit for his performance. But now its like some are unhappy because they like other prospects more. While so do I , but I still think Lowry had the best game out of any prospect this preseason. And due do size, age, NHL readiness and since he is already into the 2nd year of his ELC, he is far and away the most likely prospect to stick. IMO.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
As a LW he is imo . He can bring a lot of elements that offset the offense at this time. He controls the puck well, add that to being smart on the ice and elite size and you could see games like tonight more than not. This way the offense doesn't have to flow through him right now and the emphasis of what he can and does do well is on just that.

I hear what your saying, but is that the most beneficial thing for his development? Or is it better to go back down and built your skills and confidence where you can do well?

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Lowry is the most NHL ready to me because of all the little things he does - positioning, in puck battles, net front presence, kills penalties, but most importantly.....is very safe. Coaches love safe.

They are very different players. I'm not saying a Petan isn't ready, I'm saying Lowry is more ready in the sense that you could slot him in on the 3rd or 4th line and nobody would notice.

Go back and watch the MP85 goal tonight. Lowry gets open, makes a quick pass to Perrault and then immediately drives himself and the Edmonton defender to the net, screening Fasth. It's that stuff that has all the coaches talking.

Petan brings plenty of little things as well. Positioning, winning puck battles, deflecting a ton of passes, takeaways, etc.

He doesn't bring the brute physicality of Lowry but he is sneaky physical and a pest. Lowry brings a pretty immense body in front of the net but on the other hand Petan brings skill to the PP severely lacking on this teams.

I think the little things that both bring are the things a little lacking in Ehlers games right though.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Lowry is the most NHL ready to me because of all the little things he does - positioning, in puck battles, net front presence, kills penalties, but most importantly.....is very safe. Coaches love safe.

They are very different players. I'm not saying a Petan isn't ready, I'm saying Lowry is more ready in the sense that you could slot him in on the 3rd or 4th line and nobody would notice.

Go back and watch the MP85 goal tonight. Lowry gets open, makes a quick pass to Perrault and then immediately drives himself and the Edmonton defender to the net, screening Fasth. It's that stuff that has all the coaches talking.

Still not sure I agree that separates Lowry from Petan. I've seen a ton of smart plays with Petan with and without the puck throughout the whole pre-season.

I think Petan does well with and without the puck.
I think Lowry does well without the puck.

I also think AHL time could help Lowry with the puck.
I also think WHL time won't help Petan with or without the puck.

This is why I'm not sure Lowry is actually "most NHL ready"... at least not in a way more than the other.

I think next year both are likely very good NHLers.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I've always been a huge booster of the small, fast and highly skilled players.

However, I think Lowry has earned a spot. He's very effective at what he does and is much further along in his development than I thought.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I like Lowry and I think he ultimately tops out as a good/very good 3rd liner but if we have dreams of running 3 scoring lines this year I'm just not sure he is that guy at this point. Though, tonight was a step in the right direction for him offensively.

I'm not sure if he'll ever be more than a 4th liner, not sure if he has the foot speed, offensive fair or touch or IQ to be a "good 3rd liner".

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Petan brings plenty of little things as well. Positioning, winning puck battles, deflecting a ton of passes, takeaways, etc.

He doesn't bring the brute physicality of Lowry but he is sneaky physical and a pest. Lowry brings a pretty immense body in front of the net but on the other hand Petan brings skill to the PP severely lacking on this teams.

I think the little things that both bring are the things a little lacking in Ehlers games right though.

Ehlers is close, but his decision making is slightly immature. He has the tools though. I can't wait.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Still not sure I agree that separates Lowry from Petan. I've seen a tonne of smart plays with Petan with and without the puck throughout the whole pre-season.

This is why I'm not sure Lowry is actually "most NHL ready"... at least not in a way more than the other.

ding ding ding ding. Lowry wants to get rid of the puck immediately. He doesnt know what to do in the oz with the puck on his stick.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Still not sure I agree that separates Lowry from Petan. I've seen a tonne of smart plays with Petan with and without the puck throughout the whole pre-season.

The bold sums it up perfectly. Well said Garret!

I've seen nothing from Lowry offensively (not that it's all about offence) to say he's NHL ready.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
I'm not sure if he'll ever be more than a 4th liner, not sure if he has the foot speed, offensive fair or touch or IQ to be a "good 3rd liner".

I don't think he has the raw offensive talent but I do think he is smart enough to find a way to produce enough offensively to get there. Just my opinion though, I've been wrong before.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
If we put Galiardi on the third line then we would have Ehlers, Petan and Lowry left for a 4th line. Imagine the damage that talent could do against other 4th lines in the league. :)

Or, we could stick with Slater, Tangradi and Thorburn and have one of the worst lines in the league. But at least they'd be experienced. :sarcasm:

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I don't think he has the raw offensive talent but I do think he is smart enough to find a way to produce enough offensively to get there. Just my opinion though, I've been wrong before.

I think he could be a 4th liner that could play up with 3rd liners and do ok. But he needs real offensive talent to carry him on a 3rd line, he's not creating any himself.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
The criticism of Lowry on this board is strange to me. For all the talk about prospects needing to go back and stronger....he's the poster boy. He's transformed himself from an awkward and gangly teenager to a man and a polished pro. He's added about 25 pounds of muscle and he's improved his skating immensely. Unlike many posters here, I haven't figured out his ceiling before he's played an NHL regular season game. Maybe he's just a bigger Jim Slater but maybe he's our Milan Lucic? The fact is, nobody knows.

I guess I just don't see why we have to compare Lowry and Petan. They should both be given every opportunity to make this team. If Chevy doesn't lock up Thorburn and then sign a bunch of scrubs were probably not having this conversation and Lowry plays on the 4th line and Petan the 3rd.

WinnipegWinter*

Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg
Im somewhat surprised there isn't more discussion about our backup goalie. After a couple starts, his glove hand has looked extremely shaky. Same as our starting goalie. I like his rebound control but overall Hutchinson has done very little do provide confidence for this year.

I also think Lowry is almost an Eric Fehr type player. Not that that is his potential, but because historically we've funneled players into those moulds. Hopefully Maurice is different. Before you explode I also said last year that when we got Setoguchi he wouldn't fair any better than Jokinen did in our system. I took a lot of heat for that!

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Lets change the subject.

Based on what we have seen, should Ehlers get a few regular season games?

I will shock you. No.

Not because he doesn't have the most upside, which he does.

Because he is physically vulnerable.

One more year in Junior and he is ready physically.

A couple bonus points in junior would be: being the team go to guy and the discipline of having to be cut and rise above your detractors. These are powerful motivators for success. I sense he would rise to the occasion. ;)

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
I think he could be a 4th liner that could play up with 3rd liners and do ok. But he needs real offensive talent to carry him on a 3rd line, he's not creating any himself.

For sure. At this point I would feel decently confident in saying he will never drive the offence on any line in the top 9.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
The criticism of Lowry on this board is strange to me. For all the talk about prospects needing to go back and stronger....he's the poster boy. He's transformed himself from an awkward and gangly teenager to a man and a polished pro. He's added about 25 pounds of muscle and he's improved his skating immensely. Unlike many posters here, I haven't figured out his ceiling before he's played an NHL regular season game. Maybe he's just a bigger Jim Slater but maybe he's our Milan Lucic? The fact is, nobody knows.

I guess I just don't see why we have to compare Lowry and Petan. They should both be given every opportunity to make this team. If Chevy doesn't lock up Thorburn and then sign a bunch of scrubs were probably not having this conversation and Lowry plays on the 4th line and Petan the 3rd.

He is ready in every aspect of the game except, in my (and more than a few others) opinion, offensively. Lowry has blown my expectations for his skating and strength out of the water though.

100% agree on the bold.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

It's not criticism from my POV, just observations and opinions....everyone wants him to do well.

The bold may still happen, Lowry might be better than some of those 4th liners now.....but for me that's not the main point. To me the main point is doing what's best for the long term development of Lowry. You may not agree with me, which is fine, but I think it's best for Lowry's long term development to go back down for now...maybe he comes up later in the year or maybe to start the season next year.

Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad