Post-Game Talk: FIRST BRO! Oilers vs Jets, 8:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetkarma*

I think most of the "advocates" for Lowry see the writing on the wall in terms of management and coaches.

Lowry appears to have it right now, like it or not this organization probably [likes] Lowry style players.

Of course they love big players , who doesn't? It's a plus but look at who this management has drafted.

There's no tunnel vision here.

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg
I wonder why they drafted Petan, Ehlers, and De Leo then? I'm sure they'll get their chance - I'm rooting for Petan making it this year, but if he doesn't, it's not the end of the world. I can actually see a scenario where we see Petan with the Jets, and Lowry on the top line in the A for the start of the year - injuries are bound to happen, and that's one way to get both of them in the line-up in a sheltered manner.

At this point, I am seriously asking myself this question. Petan is the flat out better-skilled hockey player, just choosing between him and Lowry. Size is making the difference in this camp though and that is disappointing. Will we have to trade little or Perrault before another small centre makes it? Petan can surely shift to wing if that is what it takes.

Having said that, I think this was Lowry's best game so far. He does look like he fits. I wish Petan had had the linemates that he had in order to plead his case though.

Speaking of linemates, when Halischuk came in for Tangradi, that line looked moire dangerous right away.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
In regards to Lowry vs Petan sticking....

I am thinking both will get long looks due to the Galliardi injury.

I look forward to the "Size vs Skill" debate.

Ladies, would you care to add to this conversation? :sarcasm:

There is no debate. Size does matter. It always has. That is why you have more "big" players then "small" players in any physical sport. I don't even know why people bring it up other then napoleon complex. If Ehlers or Petan are good enough it sure ain't because of their size so why bother talking about it?

One guys line really produced tonight and I think it was because of all 3 guys on the line. I thought Petan and Ehlers had spots tonight. My worry about them is they will fade as the season goes along due yes to their size and lack of experience at the pro level.

What I really think will happen is Ehlers and Petan go back to junior. Lowry gets a look and if he falters the tiniest bit will go down because he can. Gallardi or Halischuk step in then.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I really don't get the Lowry vs. Petan argument. Lowry is a step up from a lot of place holders we have had over the past couple seasons. He is 2 years older than Petan and NHL ready IMO. And I don't believe for a minute he needs to go to the A, to work on his offense. He was around the net all night long and helped generated a lot of the offense. This doesn't mean I don't think Petan should make the team and I think the Jets could use his offense. But why **** on a real bright light for this team's future.

He was around the net because he linemates were awesome and he pitched in well. He did not create that offense. I don't have it out for Lowry like some other pro scouts here like push the discussion. [mod] Yeah, I love Petan much morer. He's my favouritest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
This is the first game where Lowry didn't look basically lost in the offensive end. The other aspects of his game have been very solid almost every shift though.

I don't think he looked lost at all early on. Maybe a step behind but not tonight and yes he played with two guys who are great for possession but the nice thing is he really fit in. He is everything that Tangradi was supposed to be and he too me is the most ready out of our prospects. Ehlers and Petan are just a tad bit behind him but they will have there day just like Scheifele did. I am not saying Lowry is better but [mod] Lowry might be more prepared to step in the NHL right now.

This team isn't going to win with 18 and 19 year olds in the lineup next year and my personal belief after watching them is they are not ready this year. Next year will be different but not this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
He was around the net because he linemates were awesome and he pitched in well. He did not create that offense. I don't have it out for Lowry like some other pro scouts here like push the discussion. [mod] Yeah, I love Petan much morer. He's my favouritest.

I'm not as high on Lowry as some are here either, potential is there just don't think he's ready yet.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
September-29-2014-Coach-Maurce-300x142.jpg

Coach Maurice - How does he assess that game? Any individuals stand out for him? What made that line (Lowry-Perreault-Frolik) so successful tonight? Updates on injured players (Tangradi, Cormier). Is he getting some answers to his questions? Does he need to get numbers down to make it easier for himself? What did he think of Danny Taylor? Thoughts on Hutchinson?

To listen click here.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
There is no debate. Size does matter. It always has. That is why you have more "big" players then "small" players in any physical sport. I don't even know why people bring it up other then napoleon complex. If Ehlers or Petan are good enough it sure ain't because of their size so why bother talking about it?

One guys line really produced tonight and I think it was because of all 3 guys on the line. I thought Petan and Ehlers had spots tonight. My worry about them is they will fade as the season goes along due yes to their size and lack of experience at the pro level.

What I really think will happen is Ehlers and Petan go back to junior. Lowry gets a look and if he falters the tiniest bit will go down because he can. Gallardi or Halischuk step in then.

True Joe. True.

Not burning up contract time on Ehlers and Petan makes sense. But as a hockey fan I want to see Petan make it. I am sick and tired of the zeros on our powerplay.

Ehlers is going to be off the charts good. His ceiling is "The Right Stuff" but it makes sense to send him down.

Lowry our 4th line centre for next year and many years. Let him play centre in the AHL this year to gain strength at that position.

I think Petan adds more overall on the Powerplay as he is amazing with his ability 5 on 4. He is also not a liability on defense even strength for sure.

Over the short term. I want to see both in a 9 game tryout; that was the gist of my post. That, and a sexual innuendo with some of my equality suck up approach to the womens of the world to interject. :sarcasm:

I almost always agree with you Joe. But not on this one in the context you presented.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I really like Lowry, I think he'll be a nice player for the Jets.
At this point, I'm not sure he's ready to be honest. We'll see I guess.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary

I think the "big" thing gets a little overrated because of the Kings winning. Two of the teams in the conference finals were about middle of the pack size wise and another was the smallest teams in the league. Did the Kings size play a factor in their win? To some extent I'd say, but I think it had more to do with their ridiculous depth and flawless defensive game.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Sorry man I just don't this. Lowry had the best game of any prospect so for this season...and believe it or not that type of thing is good. I'm under the impression we want our prospects to be good and push for roster positions. And liking Lowry's game doesn't mean I don't like other prospects. Actually I've been advocating for Petan more than any of them, but tonight Lowry showed more.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Not sure I agree with you Surge...

I think Petan may be equally if not more ready.

At this point the difference with him and Lowry could have been mostly from Lowry benefiting from better/easier deployment.

I thought Lowry played well. Nothing against him at all.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Sorry man I just don't this. Lowry had the best game of any prospect so for this season...and believe it or not that type of thing is good. I'm under the impression we want our prospects to be good and push for roster positions. And liking Lowry's game doesn't mean I don't like other prospects. Actually I've been advocating for Petan more than any of them, but tonight Lowry showed more.

I don't agree that Lowry showed more. His line showed more, so he had more high profile events. I did notice Lowry has a better release than I thought he had.

Go back and watch the game and follow Petan. Like ignore the rest of the game except for mighty Mouse.

jetkarma*

I'm not as high on Lowry as some are here either, potential is there just don't think he's ready yet.

As a LW he is imo . He can bring a lot of elements that offset the offense at this time. He controls the puck well, add that to being smart on the ice and elite size and you could see games like tonight more than not. This way the offense doesn't have to flow through him right now and the emphasis of what he can and does do well is on just that.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada

At this point the difference with him and Lowry could have been mostly from Lowry benefiting from better/easier deployment.

and Petan can run over guys with the best of em.:sarcasm: (last game :laugh: )
Anyone GIF that btw?;)

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com

At this point Lowry could have mostly benefited from better/easier deployment.

Lowry is the most NHL ready to me because of all the little things he does - positioning, in puck battles, net front presence, kills penalties, but most importantly.....is very safe. Coaches love safe.

They are very different players. I'm not saying a Petan isn't ready, I'm saying Lowry is more ready in the sense that you could slot him in on the 3rd or 4th line and nobody would notice.

Go back and watch the MP85 goal tonight. Lowry gets open, makes a quick pass to Perrault and then immediately drives himself and the Edmonton defender to the net, screening Fasth. It's that stuff that has all the coaches talking.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
I like Lowry and I think he ultimately tops out as a good/very good 3rd liner but if we have dreams of running 3 scoring lines this year I'm just not sure he is that guy at this point. Though, tonight was a step in the right direction for him offensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce