Post-Game Talk: FIRST BRO! Oilers vs Jets, 8:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg
He is ready in every aspect of the game except, in my (and more than a few others) opinion, offensively. Lowry has blown my expectations for his skating and strength out of the water though.

100% agree on the bold.

I can definitely agree with this as well.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
The criticism of Lowry on this board is strange to me. For all the talk about prospects needing to go back and stronger....he's the poster boy. He's transformed himself from an awkward and gangly teenager to a man and a polished pro. He's added about 25 pounds of muscle and he's improved his skating immensely. Unlike many posters here, I haven't figured out his ceiling before he's played an NHL regular season game. Maybe he's just a bigger Jim Slater but maybe he's our Milan Lucic? The fact is, nobody knows.

I guess I just don't see why we have to compare Lowry and Petan. They should both be given every opportunity to make this team. If Chevy doesn't lock up Thorburn and then sign a bunch of scrubs were probably not having this conversation and Lowry plays on the 4th line and Petan the 3rd.

There is no real comparison. It's about roster spots. I have no doubt in my mind that Petan is better than Lowry, yet everything points to Lowry getting a spot over a superior player. Thats all it is for me. I hope Lowry and Petan end up great players.

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg
It's not criticism from my POV, just observations and opinions....everyone wants him to do well.

The bold may still happen, Lowry might be better than some of those 4th liners now.....but for me that's not the main point. To me the main point is doing what's best for the long term development of Lowry. You may not agree with me, which is fine, but I think it's best for Lowry's long term development to go back down for now...maybe he comes up later in the year or maybe to start the season next year.

Just my opinion.

That is the key point in this argument. The best place for Lowry to develop is in the A. He can potentially achieve a higher ceiling if he does that. He has earned a lot of respect in his time with the Jets so far, but he is better served going down for at least half a season.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I really don't get the Lowry vs. Petan argument. Lowry is a step up from a lot of place holders we have had over the past couple seasons. He is 2 years older than Petan and NHL ready IMO. And I don't believe for a minute he needs to go to the A, to work on his offense. He was around the net all night long and helped generated a lot of the offense. This doesn't mean I don't think Petan should make the team and I think the Jets could use his offense. But why **** on a real bright light for this team's future.

Kindly point to me where I'm ******** on Adam Lowry (one of my favourite prospects who I hyped ever since we picked him) I'll be waiting.

Saying Petan is currently better and more ready is not ******** on Adam Lowry, it's saying Petan is currently better. If I tell you Sidney Crosby is better than Bryan little am I ******** on Bryan Little?

As for the offense, being around the net isn't the type of offense I'm looking for. We've watched Eric Tangradi do that for years. I'm looking for pucks in nets. Do you think Petan couldn't make the pass that Lowry made to Perreault? Do you think Lowry could score the goal Petan did two nights ago? That's the difference.

Bottom line for me is I've liked Lowry and I've liked Petan. I've just liked what Petan has shown better. I'm happy if either or both make it, but when I'm looking at this roster I'm really only seeing a spot for one of them and I think Petan deserves it more based on what I've seen.

Last edited:

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
There is no real comparison. It's about roster spots. I have no doubt in my mind that Petan is better than Lowry, yet everything points to Lowry getting a spot over a superior player. Thats all it is for me. I hope Lowry and Petan end up great players.

This is perfectly understandable . Maybe I'm naive but I don't really see a situation where Petan locks down a spot on the 4th line. Likewise, I don't think Lowry starts the year on the 3rd.

I think Petan is competing with Halischuk/Galiardi/O'Dell for a 3rd line role whereas Lowry is competing against Tangradi/Peluso/Cormier/Albert/Klingberg for the 4th line.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
This is perfectly understandable . Maybe I'm naive but I don't really see a situation where Petan locks down a spot on the 4th line. Likewise, I don't think Lowry starts the year on the 3rd.

I think Petan is competing with Halischuk/Galiardi/O'Dell for a 3rd line role whereas Lowry is competing against Tangradi/Peluso/Cormier/Albert/Klingberg for the 4th line.

Why was Petan the only top prospect not to play with top end players? I find that a little weird. Ehlers gets Ladd and Little, Lowry gets Perrault & Frolik. I suppose you could look at it and say maybe that bodes well for Petan because those are realistic linemates if he were to make it. It's possible right?right? ;)

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Why was Petan the only top prospect not to play with top end players? I find that a little weird. Ehlers gets Ladd and Little, Lowry gets Perrault & Frolik. I suppose you could look at it and say maybe that bodes well for Petan because those are realistic linemates if he were to make it. It's possible right?right? ;)

This is a great question. It's very weird. I hope your "realistic linemate" scenario is the reason but now I understand the frustration. If he gets sent down without a chance to play with at least MP85 or Frolik, we will know this whole training camp will have been a sham.

jetkarma*

I hear what your saying, but is that the most beneficial thing for his development? Or is it better to go back down and built your skills and confidence where you can do well?

That's part of the bigger question and the Jets will have to weigh that as I've mentioned before.

Maurice has said that he feels a lot of growth and development happens from practising all the time against NHL players fwiw. I think Maurice will find it hard to send him back but I would only want him here if he was the 3rd LW.

JetFromFinland

Jul 3, 2014
Btw where is Kane? Of Buffy? Did they play against Oilers? Too bad that Hutch let two easy goals, well in the first puck maybe hit Ehlers stick but still... Well better lose now! When season starts, WE HAVE NO CHOICE TO LOSE EDMONTON... :(

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Im somewhat surprised there isn't more discussion about our backup goalie. After a couple starts, his glove hand has looked extremely shaky. Same as our starting goalie. I like his rebound control but overall Hutchinson has done very little do provide confidence for this year.

I can find a 10 game set where Pavelec played like an All-Star on average.
I can find a 10 game set where Pavelec played like a steaming pile of you-know-what.

To me there is not much to discuss until a far larger sample.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yeah, screw elite offensive talent. BIG IS BETTER.

... they can't even get that consistent. They are biased towards BIG players but then end up drafting these smaller highly skilled guys like Petan, Morrissey, Ehlers and De Leo. I wish Chevy would stop messing with our stereotypes. :laugh:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
the Lowry love is interesting. i feel like he's a GM type of prospect. Big, solid, a good backhand, smart and responsible.
but he ain't flashy.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The Jets problems the last few years haven't been offense, they have been defensive and goaltending. I think Lowry helps address a team weakness more at this time than Petan.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The criticism of Lowry on this board is strange to me. For all the talk about prospects needing to go back and stronger....he's the poster boy. He's transformed himself from an awkward and gangly teenager to a man and a polished pro. He's added about 25 pounds of muscle and he's improved his skating immensely. Unlike many posters here, I haven't figured out his ceiling before he's played an NHL regular season game. Maybe he's just a bigger Jim Slater but maybe he's our Milan Lucic? The fact is, nobody knows.

I guess I just don't see why we have to compare Lowry and Petan. They should both be given every opportunity to make this team. If Chevy doesn't lock up Thorburn and then sign a bunch of scrubs were probably not having this conversation and Lowry plays on the 4th line and Petan the 3rd.

Wouldn't that be nice. I too was quite surprised to the reaction and criticism of Lowry, but he has done everything that has been asked and is now is in his 4th post draft year. He has added to every part of his game and looks to be the most NHL ready of the prospects.

That's part of the bigger question and the Jets will have to weigh that as I've mentioned before.

Maurice has said that he feels a lot of growth and development happens from practising all the time against NHL players fwiw. I think Maurice will find it hard to send him back but I would only want him here if he was the 3rd LW.

Hawerchuk used to say the same thing about Scheifele. That he needed to play against NHL players to keep improving his game. That his offense would come once he got used to the speed of the pro game. IMO there is little evidence that Lowry's offensive skills would develop better in the AHL rather then with the Jets, other than a preference for other prospects.

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg
I think he could be a 4th liner that could play up with 3rd liners and do ok. But he needs real offensive talent to carry him on a 3rd line, he's not creating any himself.
He does not have to be, needs to create space, get the puck out of the corner and get in front of the net. He scored a lot of goals in joiner, if they play like that as a line will get lots of playing min. Put Buf on defense and keep both.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He does not have to be, needs to create space, get the puck out of the corner and get in front of the net. He scored a lot of goals in joiner, if they play like that as a line will get lots of playing min. Put Buf on defense and keep both.

That's something I've been toying with a bit myself. If Buff is out again tonight, try Petan with Little and Ladd. His skill set meshes more with those two then say Perrault and Frolik IMO.

We have the makings of two real good diverse lines with KSW, LPF and Ladd and Little are good together. Maybe its Buff that doesn't fit upfront.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't want to keep running around this track, but it is unfair not to give Lowry the credit he deserves. He played a very solid game and contributed to the line's success. If this was a regular season game everyone would be singing his praises, and he would be given full credit for his performance. But now its like some are unhappy because they like other prospects more. While so do I , but I still think Lowry had the best game out of any prospect this preseason. And due do size, age, NHL readiness and since he is already into the 2nd year of his ELC, he is far and away the most likely prospect to stick. IMO.

Can't really argue with the bold too much but ..... I still don't get it. I went into last nights game thinking I've maybe been wrong about Lowry, wanting him to knock my socks off playing with good linemates. He didn't. Giving credit where it is due he did what you say he did. That is he used his size to advantage. To me he did just what Thor did last year when he played on the 3rd & 2nd lines. He bodychecked and he went to the net. I must be missing something. It seems that just about everyone on the planet is seeing something that I just don't see. Now maybe that is what that line needs. With MP & Fro providing the skill and Lowry going to the net the line will succeed. They were certainly prominent last night but that was against a pretty weak Edmonton lineup. Several earlier posters commented that it was our B team against their A team. That is just not correct. They had Hall & RNH + B team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad