Post-Game Talk: Fire Tippett, trade Bear

Who were you most disappointed with in this series?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Have either Holland or Tippet come out and blasted the NHL and NHL officiating? It’s an absolute embarrassment to the game that McDavid and Drai combined only drew one penalty all series with the insane amount of holding, crosschecking and interference that went down. That holding the stick on Drai in 2OT should have been the final straw. Someone needs to stand up for these players.

Have been disappointed for years now that the Oilers haven't publicly lambasted the league over this garbage. Flames whine constantly, and it appears the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Figured maybe we were taking the behind the scene approach, but if we did, that clearly didn't work. It isn't like they can actually treat us any worse. They've already taken away draft picks from us and treat our stars like pinatas, so not much left to lose. Very frustrating.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Have been disappointed for years now that the Oilers haven't publicly lambasted the league over this garbage. Flames whine constantly, and it appears the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Figured maybe we were taking the behind the scene approach, but if we did, that clearly didn't work. It isn't like they can actually treat us any worse. They've already taken away draft picks from us and treat our stars like pinatas, so not much left to lose. Very frustrating.
Hilarious as well that in game, any time the Oilers did anything you could see/hear the Jets bench all get up and start yelling/whining. And the refs responded and often made the call. Connor puts up with more than anyone, doesn’t say shit and doesn’t have ONE CALL THE ENTIRE SERIES. This league is a f***ing joke.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I just don't know how they can keep Tippett right now.

He didn't try everything he could. He left Bouchard to rot. He continued to make odd lineup decisions. I don't trust him developing any youth going forward. He got bent over by Paul Maurice. How many times did he get burnt using the Khaira line to match the Jets stars? What about the no timeout or losing his bench entirely in game 3? No adjustments in games 1 or 2?

I would take Woodcroft over him behind the bench easily.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Smith was far and away our MVP in this series, not even close. Just like he was when he heroically made a one man stand against the Avalanche when the Flames played them 3 years ago. Too bad the team couldn't reward him with at least one win.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
More questionable decisions from Tippett once again in this game. Bear should have been given a press box seat to let him settle down, but stubborn Dave put him in the fire again, and got his fingers burned badly on the tying goal (flat out giveaway), and then a horrible line change in OT. And because he lost in-game faith in Bear after the giveaway, Nurse had to play an ungodly amount of minutes, as well as Larsson, and you could clearly see it was starting to wear on them.
Putting both Draisaitl and McDavid on the PK in the first, where he should have been saving them for offence and 5 X 5 play. And the expected result happened with Draisaitl losing his man and the Jets scoring the all important opening goal.
I don't like changing coaches, and we still have a way to go in building the team, but he's starting to make it very hard for me to stay in his corner.

Reactions: S E P H

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
The GM's job is to build a roster every year that can win a cup.

A coach's job is to try all options and find the lines that click the absolute best.

I always tend to look from a builder POV and that's why when I reflect back, I don't blame the players as much. This was a tight series and to me, the loss is because Holland didn't bring in enough talent and Tippett got schooled.

I know people like to give Holland a pass and it's all Chiarelli's fault. I am not buying that. A good GM finds a way. Kyle Turris, Alex Chiasson, Zack Kassian, Dmitry Kulikov, even James Neal (more tied there, I know)- that's all Holland. Not having picks because of the Athanasiou deal is Holland. He needs a big summer.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
nothing Earth-shattering
blames the depth (true) and Hellebuyck being better (I guess)....just spinning about how much cap space and all the moves Holland is about to do
I’m happy about the cap space, I’m scared with what he’s gonna do with it though. Our best bet IMO would be through trades

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I just don't know how they can keep Tippett right now.

He didn't try everything he could. He left Bouchard to rot. He continued to make odd lineup decisions. I don't trust him developing any youth going forward. He got bent over by Paul Maurice. How many times did he get burnt using the Khaira line to match the Jets stars? What about the no timeout or losing his bench entirely in game 3? No adjustments in games 1 or 2?

I would take Woodcroft over him behind the bench easily.

Tippett is 1-8 with the Oilers in the post season. There is no coach who survives that type of playoff record while also having the top two scorers in the league.

Last edited:

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
remember that time Tippett instructed Russell and Bear to clear the ice as soon as the penalty kill ended instead of being a sane coach by having near side go off, the far side switch with the fresh player and then come off to prevent debacles like the GWG?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The GM's job is to build a roster every year that can win a cup.

A coach's job is to try all options and find the lines that click the absolute best.

I always tend to look from a builder POV and that's why when I reflect back, I don't blame the players as much. This was a tight series and to me, the loss is because Holland didn't bring in enough talent and Tippett got schooled.

I know people like to give Holland a pass and it's all Chiarelli's fault. I am not buying that. A good GM finds a way. Kyle Turris, Alex Chiasson, Zack Kassian, Dmitry Kulikov, even James Neal (more tied there, I know)- that's all Holland. Not having picks because of the Athanasiou deal is Holland. He needs a big summer.
The only one I really shit on him for is Kassian.

Good GMs need a couple years to evaluate the roster. They usually need actual cap to fix things. Turris was a decent attempt, he had fallen off a cliff but from a top 6 guy, couldn't expect him to drop all the way to 4th line AHLer.

At the same time though has he really done a terrible job?

When he took over we drafted 10th overall. We are back to back 2nd best in our division. Next step is meaningful playoff push.

Reactions: S E P H and Cloned

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
As a Jets fan I come here with caution. I feel for Oilers fans, such an amazing season with some amazing highs to go into playoffs. I have a couple take aways from this series, and hope for your future.

1. The series could easily be 3-1 for the Oilers right now, don't be to hard on your team. It's a game of bounces and momentum.

2. Jets "stars" have gone through playoff disappointment and grown because of it. Ehlers, Sheifele, Wheeler, Morrissey and Helle have all seen how playoffs can be and this series showed this in my opinion. Third game down 4-1 and coming back showed this. Composure and ability to not let the negativity take over, which we've witnessed before. McDavid will need to learn from this, his body language in game 4, how he spoke to other players, hung his head and appeared frustrated with everyone around him will need to change for him to be regarded as one of the best of all time. Playoff success is a key to a great career in this sport.

3. As many say, depth will need to be the key word IMO with the team. You have two of the best forwards in the league and two very good Defensmen. Need to surround them with depth players and take some of the pressure off those guys to provide all the offense.

4. McDavid needs to work on his offensive zone cycle game. He is amazing on the rush, that's his thing and he can do it like no other. But the Jets played it simple with him, clog up the middle and keep him to the outside. Sticks in his shooting lanes and it frustrated him. He didn't change his game to try and make something work, he continued to try his usual speed and score/develop on the rush. For him to be considered with the Crosby talk as a generational great, he needs to learn how to change his game come playoff time to try and win vs different defensive structures.

I don't know your cap situation or UFA/RFA, but there is a lot of good things coming in Edmonton, and hope this series brings some realizations to the young superstars you have.

Enjoy summer, cheer for us....because the last thing we need is the Leafs winning a cup.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
The only one I really shit on him for is Kassian.

Good GMs need a couple years to evaluate the roster. They usually need actual cap to fix things. Turris was a decent attempt, he had fallen off a cliff but from a top 6 guy, couldn't expect him to drop all the way to 4th line AHLer.

At the same time though has he really done a terrible job?

When he took over we drafted 10th overall. We are back to back 2nd best in our division. Next step is meaningful playoff push.
A significant number of people wrote Turris off as being finished for a number of reasons, and yet we still signed him instead of someone significantly better for the same price like Erik Haula.

I'm more sympathetic to Holland than the other poster. I'm still surprised that Kahun flopped as hard as he did given his track record the previous two seasons.

Holland's pro signings and trade record is mixed.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Point producers:

Boston

Carolina

Colorado

Nashville

Islanders

Pittsburgh

Toronto

Edmonton

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
remember that time Tippett instructed Russell and Bear to clear the ice as soon as the penalty kill ended instead of being a sane coach by having near side go off, the far side switch with the fresh player and then come off to prevent debacles like the GWG?

The GWG is on Tippet more so then anyone else. Sure, Mcdavid made a weak dump in, Bear wasn't quicker getting off, Barrie wasn't quicker getting on and Larsson was out of position but it was Tippet that called for the line change. Just like how he pulled Smith in Game 1 with the 4th line on the ice and the team didn't have puck possession.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I am still shocked that McDavid and Draisaitl DREW 1 CALL IN TOTAL BETWEEN THEM lol

That is laughable. garbage league in the playoffs.

That is where you need your second line, etc to come through and lift some weight while those two are being Epsteined every game

Reactions: S E P H and Sanchez

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Well Rakell would be a trade, so it's not like he'd have a choice haha. I could see Hoffman or Palmieri seeing the success Barrie had, and consider coming here as merks on a 1 year deal. Ideally you'd get a long term option, but if that's the hand you're dealt, so be it.

As for middle 6 LW, normally they're not the most picky. Give me any of Johansson, Haula, Granlund, Dzingel, Wennberg and I'll be happy. This spot is mostly just keeping the seat warm for Holloway.
Man give me ANYBODY who can go get the puck in the corner or receive a pass and ACTUALLY HANG ONTO IT. Like a Maroon

it is astonishing how most of our players go into the corner and literally just get bounced off or bobble the puck. We have sh** puck protectors besides McDavid, JP, Drai, Khaira most of the time. I don't know who else? Shore maybe?

There is a reason we suck a** at evens. We do not have players that can even maintain puck control and possession in the other teams zone most of the time. It's a quick in and out.

I don't know what our organization thinks when they watch the team. I see so much brutal puck decisions in the O zone mainly. Passes around to absolutely nobody. Dump ins that are never gotten to, etc. SImple passes made to one another in the corners and the other team coming out with the puck over 50% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad