Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Its his stupid system, its his stupid line ups, its his stupid face

1396024673510.jpg

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Jeff Balshill (Det's AHL coach) !! Been an assistant for holland, could be an intriguing candidate

He wouldn't be bad either. I also wouldn't be against Scott Gordon. He's already here. Most will look at what he did while with the Isles, but he had no chance there. Just another Snow scapegoat

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Randy was always a guy who had a short shelflife as a coach.
He's very demanding of his players and eventually they tune him out.

Looks like we've come to this point.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

I'd love for just one guy to come out and say that. Even on other teams where it has been more than obvious, still the party line gets towed.

jimmycarter

Jun 12, 2010
hey lets keep running out the same d pairing on the first line powerplay that hasn't worked all season. great idea randy.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

I think major player trades would be a good wakeup call to the players that this isn't a country club and that the coach is an authoritative figure to be obeyed and respected.

I realize some of these guys make five times as much as the coach but that doesn't matter in the end..what matters is winning.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I think major player trades would be a good wakeup call to the players that this isn't a country club and that the coach is an authoritative figure to be obeyed and respected.

I agree but this team is full of soft/small/defensively challenged players.

This roster was always going to tune him out faster then some other roster with more intestinal fortitude.

This collapse is on both Randy and how the roster is constructed.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I agree but this team is full of soft/small/defensively challenged players.

This roster was always going to tune him out faster then some other roster with more intestinal fortitude.

This collapse is on both Randy and how the roster is constructed.

Ken Hitchcock, Claude Julien, and Mike Babcock could be the entire coaching staff of the Maple Leafs and it wouldn't make a lick of difference.

There are simply too many weak and passive players on this team. They don't seem to care, they refuse to sacrifice and battle, and are only interested in playing offence.

Kbs

Jun 30, 2008
London ON
I wish we could try out Laviolette just to see what happens. I don't necessarily think he would be a good fit overall because I don't think his coaching style would fix our defensive woes, but it'd be interesting :laugh:

I'm not really sure who I'd want though. I just want this team to play good defense for the first time in a decade, but I think it goes beyond the coaching staff for this team (ie. the players).

TiMo15

Nov 8, 2008
Wish that we can get Pat Quinn back because he brought the team to the playoff coupe years. Sigh! Randy had one good half year and suddenly the team did not buy in the system at all.

FosterHewitt

He Shoots He Scores!
Jan 18, 2014
Gondola
Boucher, Huntee, or Murray would all be an improvement. I agree with a previous poster too about Keenan. It's very unlikely, but atleast they will feel misery too!

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Babcock. Looks like he might be leaving hockeytown, according to the gossip on the Red Wings forums.

Even Babcock couldn't whip these bunch of softies into shape.

Nonis needs to inject the line up with big hard-working players. Ones that are willing to take hit to make a play and try for an entire game.

sw13

Jan 31, 2014
Even Babcock couldn't whip these bunch of softies into shape.

Nonis needs to inject the line up with big hard-working players. Ones that are willing to take hit to make a play and try for an entire game.

Let's just sign Ryan Clowe, Callahan, and all the other overrated big dummies who have "heart" and "intagibles." We already have one of those idiots in Clarkson. The whole big trend is over IMO. Yes, St. Louis are big. So what? Were Detroit big when they had 4 straight seasons of 50+ wins. No. They had a bunch of Swedes who had a ton of skill and just possessed the puck all game. That's what players want to do. Carlyles dumb systems are the anti-possession. The leafs obviously want to play an up tempo skating game. I have a huge feeling that the guys in the room have no confidence in what they're doing, no confidence in what the coaches are trying "teach" them. It's ok to admit that there are some good players on this roster (Kadri, Gardiner, Rielly, JVR, Kessel) and the first three, who take a lot of flack, would probably excel on a team that allows creativity. This whole big craze is exactly what Carlyle wants, which would then lead to us losing our two most promising players for big Carlyle type players. Yes, Babcock would whip these softies into shape because Babcock can adjust to his personnel. Randy has to make demands to the GM so he can "try and get the players to do what we want."

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I was hoping Nonis would pull a Lou Lamoriello and fire Carlyle with 9 games left in the season after the NJ game.

Lou did it with Julien who had them in a playoff spot but did not like the way it was coached

I would have fired Carlyle this week especially if he views Carlyle as gone for sure at the end of the year. Then walked in the room and told his players your #1 excuse is gone now you don't play well your next on the list to be moved out.

I think Nonis is going to fire Carlyle and the Leafs missing the playoffs is going to be his excuse but he sacrifices the season in order to do so.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

I realize some of these guys make five times as much as the coach but that doesn't matter in the end..what matters is winning.

Has nothing to do with them disrespecting an authority figure. When the coach only has three or four phrases that he screams at you every day, eventually it starts to lose its meaning.

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
Ken Hitchcock, Claude Julien, and Mike Babcock could be the entire coaching staff of the Maple Leafs and it wouldn't make a lick of difference.

There are simply too many weak and passive players on this team. They don't seem to care, they refuse to sacrifice and battle, and are only interested in playing offence.

I still think Randy needs to go, but I agree with this. Leafs are soft. Kessel doesn't backcheck or forecheck, none of the other players get in the dirty areas except for maybe the 3rd line. They played much better when they were physical during the shortened season. Phaneuf hardly hits anymore.

We need Komarov back in a bad way. That guy was a beast on the ice and he even had more goals than Clarktard.

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
Here is a perspective I believe is true: Randy Carlyle has done as much as any coach could with this particular group of players that Burke and Nonis have assembled. He had them slightly overachieve all season until now, when they have finally regressed to the their true level as now shown in the standings. Carlyle had only delayed the inevitable.

...and yes, I'm sober.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Here is a perspective I believe is true: Randy Carlyle has done as much as any coach could with this particular group of players that Burke and Nonis have assembled. He had them slightly overachieve all season until now, when they have finally regressed to the their true level as now shown in the standings. Carlyle had only delayed the inevitable.

...and yes, I'm sober.

Not true. Another coach would've press-boxed Franson, Clarkson and set an example.

And would have something that looks like a system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad