Speculation: Fire Randy Carlyle?

TML23

Aug 2, 2008
Toronto
Babcock. Looks like he might be leaving hockeytown, according to the gossip on the Red Wings forums.

Babcock doesn't look great either. I watch every other Red Wings games and he is as stubborn as Carlyle in terms of coaching style.

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
I repeat, want the next good coach ? his name is jeff blashil !! ofc i'm not paid MLSE millions to do the research, but i know for fact he is the perfect fit for this sinking ship

TML23

Aug 2, 2008
Toronto
You know what that would actually send a message and would also be incredibly entertaining.

This is actually a great idea because the season is over anyway.

I'm bummed because I actually like Carlyle and think he's a good coach, but the team is clearly incapable of executing his game plan to the point that they've given up, because as Carlyle put it they're lazy and they suck.

I'd love to see what kind of effort they'd respond with if Carlyle was literally fired tonight, I suspect it wouldn't look much different :(

You wish. The only good thing he did in his coaching career is getting carried by Pronger, Niedermayer, Getzlaf, Perry, Selanne, and Giguere. He can't do **** with just "average" players.

iArts

ಠ_ಠ
Feb 3, 2010
Toronto,ON,Canada
Babcock doesn't look great either. I watch every other Red Wings games and he is as stubborn as Carlyle in terms of coaching style.

You're joking me. Babcock is arguably the best coach in the world.
He will make everyone work their ass off, that's for sure. Can't ask for much more than that.

Not to mention, that with him, he would bring Detroit's winning culture to the locker room.

If he becomes available, we should do everything possible to make him our coach.

ThrillinPhil

Tdot.
Jan 9, 2011
If Hitchcock or Babcock becomes avail this off-season throw one of them the largest contract for a coach in NHL history

TML23

Aug 2, 2008
Toronto
You're joking me. Babcock is arguably the best coach in the world.
He will make everyone work their ass off, that's for sure. Can't ask for much more than that.

Not to mention, that with him, he would bring Detroit's winning culture to the locker room.

If he becomes available, we should do everything possible to make him our coach.

LOL.. What makes you say Babcock is arguably the best coach in the world? He got pretty much carried as well with all the Hall of Famers who played for the Wings during the past 10 years.

OHH you think he will make everyone work their ass off? Knowing Babcock, he will play Clarkson, Kulemin, Bodie, Bozak for 20-25 mins per game and Kessel and JVR will never play.

If you are not a two way forward for Babcock, you basically get no ice time. Just look at Nyquist on the Red Wings. He was literally getting 10-13 mins per game even though he is the hottest goal scorer on their team whereas Glendening (who was a fourth line centre for the grand rapids) and Drew Miller were getting 20 mins per game.

Have fun with that... Although, he might be better than Randy, which doesn't say much

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
Red Wings fans want Holland and Babcock gone

honestly i think babcock has another 2 years of shelf life. the guy is coaching an ahl team and is helping them stay in contention. he's a great coach and wings would be stupid to let him go.

i don't see him getting fired any time soon. holland on the other hand can get fired.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I repeat, want the next good coach ? his name is jeff blashil !! ofc i'm not paid MLSE millions to do the research, but i know for fact he is the perfect fit for this sinking ship

Who is this guy?

The PK and the fact that the team hasn't improved ALL season should be enough for the can for even the biggest optimist.

The PK - was a victim in November/December when Bolland/Bozak was down. I don't think (statistically) it was bad as it was then, and I know recently we've let in a few more - but that overall ranking is very much from then, not now. that is not a hill i'm prepared to die on though.

TML23

Aug 2, 2008
Toronto
Red Wings fans want Holland and Babcock gone

Because they are bad. It was the Red Wings scout team that did everything for that franchise. Without their draft picks, their team would not have been successful.

Holland is a really bad GM. Just look at what he did on the trade deadline. He gave up Jankrok who was one of their best prospects to bring in old Legwand.

His contract signings are even worse. Signing Bertuzzi, Dan Clearly (lol), Samuelsson, Tootoo when you have players like Nyquist, Jurco, Sheahan ready to play.

Don't even get me started on Kyle Quincey.

TML23

Aug 2, 2008
Toronto
honestly i think babcock has another 2 years of shelf life. the guy is coaching an ahl team and is helping them stay in contention. he's a great coach and wings would be stupid to let him go.

i don't see him getting fired any time soon. holland on the other hand can get fired.

That's because the AHLers are actually better than the old players Holland signed (e.g. Clearly, Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, even Alfredsson lately)

Babcock loves his old players and he never gives a chance for his younger players to play. That's the reason why all their prospects stay in minor league until they are 23 or 24 years old.

Strategy

Sep 8, 2013
Someone like Hitchcock won't leave a perennial SC contender STL for a bubble team like the Leafs

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
they just made a good point on 1050 about tim leiweke and basically said he's done drastic changes to losing franchises in the FC and Raptors. If he doesnt do anything with the leafs in the offseason, that would imply that he is OK with the situation and an individual as passionate as him about winning will definitely make changes in the offseason. I am going to bet it begins with Carlyle.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
Who is this guy?

Head coach of Grand Rapid Griffins, Detroit's affiliate.

I want a coach that actually implements a defensive system, who has been in the top 10 GAA at least for 2 seasons.

It seems that in the seasons that Leafs choked, namely the 2011-2012 and 2013-2014 season, Leafs were out scoring their problems (Wilson actually had better offense), had terrible pk and terrible defense. The only difference was goal tending.

I shudder to think where the team would be in the standings without Bernier.

McGuiresMonsters

Oct 31, 2011
Toronto
Because they are bad. It was the Red Wings scout team that did everything for that franchise. Without their draft picks, their team would not have been successful.

Holland is a really bad GM. Just look at what he did on the trade deadline. He gave up Jankrok who was one of their best prospects to bring in old Legwand.

His contract signings are even worse. Signing Bertuzzi, Dan Clearly (lol), Samuelsson, Tootoo when you have players like Nyquist, Jurco, Sheahan ready to play.

Don't even get me started on Kyle Quincey.

I agree with you that Holland is a bad GM, or at least not a good one. I disagree about Babcock. I think Babcock is one of the best coaches in the game currently.

You might be right about him not working well with the team we have. It's hard for fans to predict how a coach will work out.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Head coach of Grand Rapid Griffins, Detroit's affiliate.

I want a coach that actually implements a defensive system, who has been in the top 10 GAA at least for 2 seasons.

It seems that in the seasons that Leafs choked, namely the 2011-2012 and 2013-2014 season, Leafs were out scoring their problems (Wilson actually had better offense), had terrible pk and terrible defense. The only difference was goal tending.

I shudder to think where the team would be in the standings without Bernier.

this close to Ekblad or Reinhart or del Colle which would help a.lot.

[also, thank you]. it was funny because the Marlies let like 45 shots against in ONE game - and Spott blew his lid and said that this was not acceptable, and they were going to have serious video review and discussions to ensure that they don't allow it again.

This has gone way, way beyond 'expecting the Leafs to play defense.' even if you pooh-pooh that aside, it's utter failure to see when to make changes. Why hasn't a single line up/shake up been done? Why not do jiggery-pokery with the defensive pairing. Since December everyone's been saying the same thing. Either have Rielly-Phaneuf/Franson, Gardiner-Phaneuf/Franson - or let Rielly/Gardiner run the first unit and deal with the mistakes.

more importantly - CHANGE THE POWERPLAY UNITS. it's so predictable with the first unit, we can tell you exactly what's going to happen. the draw is won. Franson to Phaneuf, to Franson, cross crease pass to Kessel on the half board who waits, walks in, tries to find a shot, either takes it, JVR tries to be all fancy at the net, or it wires around and rinse repeat.

And lately most of that isn't even happening it's pass pass, around the boards, Kessel shoots it, blocked, down the ice, and then you have to hold your breath to see if they're going to give up a short handed goal. the 2nd Unit is what's really helping the team lately.

it's making the in-game adjustments.
It's knowing when to take a time out.
it's realising when your defensive system isn't working when your team is 6-1, that you try to develop a system that they're able to implement with their strengths.
it's knowing that with 6 games left you shouldn't still be working on said defensive positioning.

It's figuring out that if by game 46 you have to start your sentence with "they are tired," maybe asking your boss to get a strength/conditioning staff that knows how to work with hockey players.

and I'm saying this as someone who doesn't MIND randy.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Its his stupid system, its his stupid line ups, its his stupid face

I don't know a better way to line up the team.

They've tried literally every permutation of our bottom nine forwards and defence pairings.

Nothing works.

Maybe, just maybe then, it could our players who don't play the game well together.

Or yeah, maybe Carlyle's face is the problem...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad