Fire lavy?? Trade rinne more like it

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
the sooner rinne's 7 million comes off the books, the happier I'll be. we have several guys i am counting down the days till their contracts expire.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
We scored 3 goals in last 3 games. Requiring a shutout to win (on average) is setting the bar a bit high no matter who is between the pipes. Lets score for god's sake and give him a foundation to work from, not the weight of the whole team on his shoulders.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
We scored 3 goals in last 3 games. Requiring a shutout to win (on average) is setting the bar a bit high no matter who is between the pipes. Lets score for god's sake and give him a foundation to work from, not the weight of the whole team on his shoulders.
It's not that simple. When you're goalie is struggling, you sit back more, which in turns makes you more passive, so you give up more on defense and don't generate enough on offense.

Until the 2 own goals on Saturday, we were playing well, then, I feel like we let those get into our heads and we were not nearly as aggressive on the forecheck, or on the back check.

Now, again, there is plenty of fault to go around, but your team feeds off your goalie.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
It's not Rinne's fault, or at least I should say all of Rinne's fault.

Also I think you are giving both Darling and Anderson way too much credit. Both have played sound positional goalie, neither one stood on their head. You wan't to know the difference in why our guys never score on breakaway's? Cause they either miss the damn net or put it right into the goalies freaking pads.

I bet you can go back and look and the largest bulk of our breakaway's have never asked the goalie to make one heck of a save. Darling, Anderson and whoever else you want to throw out aren't making back breaking save to keep goals out, they are going where they should and we either aren't or didn't make a good shot.

That's not to say every break away or goal that Rinne give's up is some insane shot, but I bet the difficulty level is a hell of alot higher than throwing it into the goalies chest or just flat out missing the net like we do.

Is Rinne playing like a god? Well no, but I hate to tell you Anderson ain't either.

I'll say it one more time and then I'm done. Has Rinne been a stand on your head, stop everything goalie in this series? Nope.

Where did I say he was the only problem? I've said he's not the only problem.

And I'll disagree on our lack of finish as the only reason we don't score on breakaways. We have 7 forwards that have put up 20+ goal seasons recently, 3 of those have had recent 30+ goal seasons and 1 of those a 40 goal season. We have guys that can finish.

The bottom line is this for me. Rinne is paid $7M a year, he should stand on his head.

Last edited by a moderator:

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Where did I say he was the only problem? I've said he's not the only problem.

And I'll disagree on our lack of finish as the only reason we don't score on breakaways. We have 7 forwards that have put up 20+ goal seasons recently, 3 of those have had recent 30+ goal seasons and 1 of those a 40 goal season. We have guys that can finish.

The bottom line is this for me. Rinne is paid $7M a year, he should stand on his head.

And how often do those guys score when on breakaways? The real issue is the breakaway thing is two fold:
1) those guys are rarely the guys who get the breakaways
2) the breakaways tend to be guys like Wilson, Arvidsson, Nystrom. Very little finish between those guys.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Well it seems like Rinne will probably be playing tonight so I just ask that he play better and makes stops.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
I agree the fire Lavy thread is ridiculous, but the fact of the matter is, the difference in this series has been goaltending. Andersen has been spectacular. Rinne has not. When the Ducks played a not-spectacular goalie (Gibson) we won.

Sure, there are defensive problems you can whine about and offensive problems too. But the reasoning for both is our goalie hasn't shut down the defensive lapses and theirs has.

Oh and as much as I love him as a person, Rinne has a 5-hole the size of North America, and the whole NHL knows it.

jstreet

LETS GO PREDS
Jan 15, 2004
FL via Nashville
www.twitter.com
It's a simple numbers game. When you shell out 7 MILLION DOLLARS, you expect your goalie to be above average.

He isn't THE reason that we are in this position but he has been somewhat consistently out dueled in the post season.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Listen, every team has breakdowns throughout the game, it's the goaliesame job to help erase these mistakes. So you think Rinne is doing that as well as Anderson? I don't. That deflection goal was dumb luck but his slow reaction made it look more difficult. Stopping a breakaway is rare for him, yet we get them stopped constantly.

There is always a breakdown on a goal, so you go ahead tell us it's not Rinne's fault tell us that no goalie could stop those. I keep watching him get outplayed by Darling and Anderson.

After we got down 1-0 in game 4, Rinne did stand on his head and allow us to tie it. There were a ton of open shots in the slot and shots through screens that he managed to save. That game could've easily been 3-0 in the 1st period because it was starting to look like a carbon copy of game 3 in the beginning with the defense allowing a ton of quality chances.

What I'd like to see tonight is an all out effort to play defense and protect Rinne. The team isn't scoring anyways. Might as well go all in on defense and hope to break out after a mistake for an odd man rush or maybe score on the PP at some point. That would be refreshing.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
It's a simple numbers game. When you shell out 7 MILLION DOLLARS, you expect your goalie to be above average.

He isn't THE reason that we are in this position but he has been somewhat consistently out dueled in the post season.

When you shell out $8 million for a Norris caliber defenseman, you expect him to be above average.

When you have a second Norris candidate, you expect him to be above average.

When you have a soon to be RFA forward who will likely command $6+ million, you expect him to be above average and to give a **** when you make a mistake

When you shell out $5 million for a sniper, you expect him to score some goals.

Should I go on? It's amazing how many people are acting like Rinne is the only problem or that he's even that big of a problem compared to the rest of the team.

I'd also like somebody to respond to this. Every goal given up by the team from games 3-5.

Game 3 goal 1 - Awful turnover by Potato. He stands still. An easy pass side to side pass for an open net (Rinne can't commit to the pass early because Potato didn't take the man with the puck or the other guy.)

Game 3 goal 2 - Ridiculous deflection.

Game 3 goal 3 - Ellis allows Stewart into the slot. Rinne makes the save. Ellis gets himself turned around allowing Stewart to get to the front of the net. Gaustad follows Perron behind the net for some reason. Stewart goes top shelf.

Game 4 goal 1 - This is the one I think he should've had. Basically on his pad, he needs to close it down quicker so Getzlaf can't tap it in.

Game 4 goal 2 - Incredibly lazy defense by Forsberg. The entire team looked awful every time there was 4 on 4.

Game 4 goal 3 - See Josi not taking his man right in front of the net.

Game 4 goal 4 - Josi turns it over. Puck is passed into the slot. Easy goal as long as you don't shoot it right into the middle of the net.

Game 5 goal 1 - The definition of fluke.

Game 5 goal 2 - Maybe Rinne should've had it sealed. Maybe Weber and Fisher should win a 2 on 1 battle against Garbutt behind the net.

Game 5 goal 3 - Breakaway out of the box. Maybe be more aware that the PP is nearing an end and maybe send a guy back to prevent something like that from happening.

Game 5 goal 4 - Two Ducks screening Rinne on the PP. Neither of our Norris candidate defenders even try to move them away to give Rinne a chance to see the puck.

Game 5 goal 5 - Empty net.

Tell me what exactly Rinne did wrong, what he should've done instead and how it was his fault and his fault alone.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville

The problem is long goalie contracts. He was playing well worth 7 million for stretches of this contract. This is the 5th year (or 4th maybe) of his new deal and we all knew the risk of a deal at that length. I bet if you could go back to 2011 and read some of the reactions to it, a lot of people probably said something along the lines of "Glad to have him here long-term, but in 4 or 5 years I hope he's still an elite guy." We now know that was the unfortunate look into the future and we sit here with an average goalie making elite money. My problem isn't even his contract, it brought him back here and that's fine, it's just his play and inconsistency. Yeah he still has good games, but he just doesn't steal wins for us anymore. I don't honestly care how much he makes. Our defensive corps outside of Weber should be making probably double what we're paying them. That evens out and financially it is what it is. The biggest problem is that for the first time in the 17 years of Predators hockey, we're a team with inconsistent goaltending and that's never been a problem. It's not a good look.

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
When you shell out $8 million for a Norris caliber defenseman, you expect him to be above average.

When you have a second Norris candidate, you expect him to be above average.

When you have a soon to be RFA forward who will likely command $6+ million, you expect him to be above average and to give a **** when you make a mistake

When you shell out $5 million for a sniper, you expect him to score some goals.

Should I go on? It's amazing how many people are acting like Rinne is the only problem or that he's even that big of a problem compared to the rest of the team.

I'd also like somebody to respond to this. Every goal given up by the team from games 3-5.

Tell me what exactly Rinne did wrong, what he should've done instead and how it was his fault and his fault alone.

It's too easy to blame the goaltender in this situation. God forbid we give him more than 1.0 G/G the last 3 games. This team isn't winning any games 1-0 that's for damn sure.

Tonight is the night to step up and show that these guys actually want to be a team that people consider contenders or not. If we don't show up, I don't know where we will turn from here.

Rinne's not getting any younger or cheaper. We still are missing a top 6 wing. Our best defensive pairing has been decidedly average for a few months (defensively).

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Really? You're acting like one of those "my kid never does anything wrong" parents.

I agree with the game 4 one goal that was soft, the others were just good goals.

Game 5, he was awful. The Josi deflection showed how slow Rinne had become, he needed to move back but instead tried to just reach up it wasn't a burner, he had time but froze up.

The goal you blame on Fisher and Weber, Rinne puts in with his own stick.
"It's hard to see at that point," Rinne said. "You're just trying to play the puck at a bad angle. It's pretty much behind the net. He just banks it off me. It was a terrible goal to give up in a big game like that. It was a 1-1 game at the moment. Wish I could take it back."

There's the 3 that are the biggest problems.

"I feel like I've got to be better," Rinne said. "I'm getting outplayed, so have to find a way to stop some pucks."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjT0Y6JsqrMAhWEJCYKHd3iBmMQFggnMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tennessean.com%2Fstory%2Fsports%2Fnhl%2Fpredators%2F2016%2F04%2F23%2Fpredators-ducks-pekka-rinne-ryan-garbutt-goal-nhl-playoffs%2F83428354%2F&usg=AFQjCNFgnoOW8Mme3K-j6sfar6w-0pQqSA&sig2=IBBOObS6MX2TLRfqo1r4OA&bvm=bv.120551593,bs.2,d.eWE

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
"I feel like I've got to be better," Rinne said. "I'm getting outplayed, so have to find a way to stop some pucks."
I don't know about you but that's certainly the oozing confidence I want from my goalie in the playoffs.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
The goal you blame on Fisher and Weber, Rinne puts in with his own stick.

I didn't solely blame Weber and Fisher for that goal. I said maybe Rinne should've started the poke check earlier. Weber and Fisher were a huge problem on that goal though. Both behind the net with only Garbutt there and Garbutt is the one who gets the puck free and is the first one to get the puck after it's free. That can't happen to a Norris candidate and a good defensive forward.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I didn't solely blame Weber and Fisher for that goal. I said maybe Rinne should've started the poke check earlier. Weber and Fisher were a huge problem on that goal though. Both behind the net with only Garbutt there and Garbutt is the one who gets the puck free and is the first one to get the puck after it's free. That can't happen to a Norris candidate and a good defensive forward.
One of the points of this debate is that a few years ago we wouldn't be arguing which goals were whose fault because Rinne wasn't giving them up.

NorthAlPredfan

Dec 18, 2010
Huntsville, Al
Problem solved...fire everyone and pick up the Huntsville Havoc:laugh:

Actually maybe we do need a new goalie coach. Our guys haven't have been as good as they were since Mitch Korn left with Trotz.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Well it seems like Rinne will probably be playing tonight so I just ask that he play better and makes stops.

Good to see him play better. That's what we needed from him. Now just need him to do that for game 7.

SlapshotMe

Sep 21, 2015
Good to see him play better. That's what we needed from him. Now just need him to do that for game 7.

Offense still played like **** and no one's talking about that. Still no "trade all the forwards thread". 5 goals in 4 games is ****ing pathetic. Even the worst teams in the league average over 2 a game.

Now watch, we'll lose game 7 2-1 and people will blame Rinne.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Offense still played like **** and no one's talking about that. Still no "trade all the forwards thread". 5 goals in 4 games is ****ing pathetic. Even the worst teams in the league average over 2 a game.

We should of scored more but so should they. Both teams are playing a more defensive style in this game and I bet you see the same in game 7. Gonna be all about who buries their chances or catches a break.

SlapshotMe

Sep 21, 2015
We should of scored more but so should they. Both teams are playing a more defensive style in this game and I bet you see the same in game 7. Gonna be all about who buries their chances or catches a break.

I don't know what a "more defensive style" is supposed to mean, but our defense did play really well tonight. I wouldn't attribute our lack of scoring to their defense though, there were at least a couple of gimmes we missed and several other near misses. We easily could have scored 6 goals... which is something good teams do some times.

But no one is going to start a topic critical of our offense because we can go a month without cracking 3 goals and people will blame Rinne for not shutting out. (hell it almost happened in January!)

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011

All the more reason why we need Rinne on his A game cause this team rarely blows teams out w/ their scoring/scoring abilities but instead it's usually a tight close game when the Preds do win. That has always seemed to be our history....scoring challenged....tight close nail biting games. Look at all the games we have won in this series. Except for this last game (which the last goal was by an empty netter), most all of our games are won by one goal. Yet when the Ducks won it was by 3 goals. Rinne stepped up tonight and kept the game close and the Preds scored just enough in the end to get the win. When Rinne isn't playing his best and his teammates in front of him aren't either we generally are screwed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad