"Fire Hextall" chant took over the arena in Pitt last night

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I think Sullivan is a great coach but why does he seem to walk on water there?

Could be time for a management overhaul though
Because the local media has thrown Hextall under the bus while acting like Mike Sullivan is the 2nd coming of Scotty Bowman. Sullivan needs to go. Hextall's moves have not worked out, but I'm not convinced he's a big problem at this point. Get a new coach in there and see what happens.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
This is the first time since the very early part of the Crosby era that the Pens have been legitimately mediocre. I think the coach and GM are both to blame here - Sullivan is out of answers, and Hextall has been entirely too tentative with the roster and overall direction of the team.

Reactions: KrisLeturnover

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Yes fans are upset when they thought they’re team could win and it can’t. Doesn’t matter what the last 17 years were like.

Anyone saying they wouldn’t be mad in a similar situation is lying.

• Wow
Reactions: Brookbank and TNT87

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
You don't trade your way out of a slump in a hard cap league.

If anything Hextall's mistakes were made over the summer IMO. The Malkin and Letang deals were great...but then he used the cap savings to make the rest of the team older too. If the Pens are going to be competitive in these last few years of the 87/71 era, they have to round out the roster with young, fast, hungry players - especially in the bottom 6 - and Hextall hasn't shown any inclination to do that.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
You don't trade your way out of a slump in a hard cap league.
Pens fans are just used to Jim Rutherford hemorrhaging assets to try to fill a hole he created last month while trying to plug another hole. Hextall made a sizable error by signing Kapanen to his deal and entering the season with 32 cents in cap space, but you can't fix the Pens problems on the fly mid-season at this point.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
When your best players are in their mid to late thirties, you know you have a problem. It's tough to stock the team when you have poor draft positions for a decade and a half. The Pens have always been bad at moving in and keeping quality players, though. It's not easy when you are so top loaded with talent and the only pieces you can move are guys kept around because they work with the cap space you have left.

Signing Malkin was a big mistake in my opinion. It was an emotional decision, not a business one. He has not been a player you go to war with for a long time. He is a steady producer, but if you are looking to rebuild you can't do it with a guy past his prime who takes bad penalties and floats a lot of the time. They could have used that money more wisely.

Hextall deserves to be fired for that alone imo.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
What's the issue with the Pens?

On paper they look like they should still be a playoff team.
Still some high-end talent, decent depth, and decent defense, average goaltending.

Should they not have re-signed Letang and Malkin?

What should Hextall be doing?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
If Crosby is willing to waive for a contender (2 years on his deal following this one) I bet they could still get a big return. I'm sure he'd love Cup Number 4 for his own personal legacy given that his days of individual hardware are behind him.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
If Crosby is willing to waive for a contender (2 years on his deal following this one) I bet they could still get a big return. I'm sure he'd love Cup Number 4 for his own personal legacy given that his days of individual hardware are behind him.
I'm pretty sure he values the legacy of only playing for 1 franchise more than adding another Cup as a mercenary. That's something he's talked about since his first day here.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
When your best players are in their mid to late thirties, you know you have a problem. It's tough to stock the team when you have poor draft positions for a decade and a half. The Pens have always been bad at moving in and keeping quality players, though. It's not easy when you are so top loaded with talent and the only pieces you can move are guys kept around because they work with the cap space you have left.

Signing Malkin was a big mistake in my opinion. It was an emotional decision, not a business one. He has not been a player you go to war with for a long time. He is a steady producer, but if you are looking to rebuild you can't do it with a guy past his prime who takes bad penalties and floats a lot of the time. They could have used that money more wisely.

Hextall deserves to be fired for that alone imo.
Malkin is making $6m this season. He's FAR from being any kind of problem.

You won't find nearly many other center producing at a PPG pace for $6m. He is currently an absolute steal for this season (it's the seasons when he regresses hard that will be hard, but this season he's still productive).

What other $6m Free Agent would you have wanted instead? Do you think the Pens would have been better to let Malkin walk for Cirelli?

Pens fans are just used to Jim Rutherford hemorrhaging assets to try to fill a hole he created last month while trying to plug another hole. Hextall made a sizable error by signing Kapanen to his deal and entering the season with 32 cents in cap space, but you can't fix the Pens problems on the fly mid-season at this point.

Kapanen is only making $3.2m and he's good for 11-20 goals.

That's VERY fair value for that production. Hard to imagine why he would be targeted as the scapegoat for why they're not in the playoffs.

What other player signed for $3million would you have wanted instead? Athanasiou? Max Domi?
Would the Penguins be in the playoffs if you traded Kapanen for Athanasiou?

Last edited:

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
On paper they look like they should still be a playoff team.
Still some high-end talent, decent depth, and decent defense, average goaltending.
I disagree.

I don't see why people are shocked that a geriatric team that got bounced in the first round the past 5 seasons, got older this offseason, is a borderline playoff team now.

It's been a long slow decline.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Kapanen is only making $3.2m and he's good for 11-20 goals.

That's VERY fair value for that production. Hard to imagine why he would be targeted as the scapegoat for why they're not in the playoffs.
He's not a scapegoat by the fanbase as much as he is by the coach. The coach clearly gave up on him last year. I'm not saying he's a bad player, but he needs to move on. He's not worth what little cap space the Pens had left after all the other deals they made. A bigger issue to me was the Petry deal, but I'm sure I'll get jumped on by a certain few posters for even mentioning Petry in any negative light.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3