Fire Hakstol

Status
Not open for further replies.

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
To be fair, since the winning streak the offense has been bad as we are second to last in goals scores, the team defense has been much better at preventing goals as we have given up the 11th least amount of goals. The team is playing better defensively, So if we're gonna bury the guy for the offense going cold (rightfully so) I'll give him some credit for making the team play a better defensive game. While it's obvious that's impeded the goals from coming, one would assume if the PP can get going again and better defensive players next year should open things up.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
You would find a way to defend the PP after an 0-6 performance. Even a 1-5 performance gets us 2 points last night instead of 1.

The PK hovered around 20th for the first 2/3 of the season, when the games actually mattered and we had realistic playoff hopes.

But i'm sure you'll find a way to spin that as something positive for Hakstol and Co..
mediocrity is the baseline for successful in his eyes. it's the only explanation for his constant defense of failure.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It was pretty good last year. Six regular forwards scoring between 1.5 and 2 points per 60, plus Laughton.

In 13-14 we had nine regular forwards above 1.5.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The Kings obviously should have kept Vinny around at $2.25m since they can't score enough after 65 games to be a playoff team in a 14 team conference. :laugh:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Top 6 has been garbage for years at 5v5 including this year.

Just last year they had:

Giroux, Couturier, Simmonds and Schenn all top 100 amongst regular NHL forwards in 5v5 P/60.

Voracek was top 120. Raffl top 140.

They had 4 forwards scoring at 1st line level an 2 second line level.

The problem was they also had 4 forwards in the bottom 15 amongst NHL fwds in 5v5 P/60! And those were the guys playing the easiest minutes on the team.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
The gap is as large as the Grand Canyon.

Coaching talent seems pretty even in the NHL. People love to gush over Babcock, but he has glaring weaknesses. He's not some prodigy who coached his way to Stanley Cups. He's worked with HOF talent... Teams value roots in NA and affiliation to the NHL. There's a huge pool of coaches in Europe who could probably do well in the NHL.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Just last year they had:

Giroux, Couturier, Simmonds and Schenn all top 100 amongst regular NHL forwards in 5v5 P/60.

Voracek was top 120. Raffl top 140.

They had 4 forwards scoring at 1st line level an 2 second line level.

The problem was they also had 4 forwards in the bottom 15 amongst NHL fwds in 5v5 P/60! And those were the guys playing the easiest minutes on the team.

It really can't be emphasized enough how well our top 6 did to drag the bottom six around. Not only were they tasked with scoring, they were the best defensive units as well, AND facing the hardest competition.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What I love about fans is how expectations and reality diverge.
If I told you before the seasons the goalies would collapse and have a .900% SA, how many points would you expect them to garner?

Note that they just got 5 of 6 points the last three games when Mason started playing like last season - amazing how different a team looks when goalies go from putrid to above average!

But it's all the coach's fault. He chooses the goalies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
If I told you before the seasons the goalies would collapse and have a .900% SA, how many points would you expect them to garner?

Note that they just got 5 of 6 points the last three games when Mason started playing like last season - amazing how different a team looks when goalies go from putrid to above average!

Do you really believe it is just that one thing, the goaltending, and that Hakstok deserves no blame? I know you don't believe that, because you have mentioned how terrible the D corps is (which is true). What I love about fans is when they try to give facile answers to complex questions.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

It's amazing that you're not able to comprehend that there can be multiple problems with a team.

As if the goalies being a problem means that the coach can't be. :laugh:

Your desperate attempts to defend him are constantly failing, all it's doing is making you look a certain way.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The team is not underperforming, they're performing about as well as you'd expect given the goaltending.
Last year, they had top ten goaltending and slipped into the playoffs, this year the goaltending is bottom five and they're in the middle of the pack.
Therefore, the coach isn't underperforming.
It's that simple.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The team is not underperforming, they're performing about as well as you'd expect given the goaltending.
Last year, they had top ten goaltending and slipped into the playoffs, this year the goaltending is bottom five and they're in the middle of the pack.
Therefore, the coach isn't underperforming.
It's that simple.

Thanks a lot, Head. Now there is a permanent indentation of my palm on my face.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If you believe that the coach is performing well then there's definitely something simple here...

He does lots of things that hurt the team and their ability to win games, such as... his usage of the goalies (streaks of starts, back to backs, etc), his top PK pair, the way he matches the 4th line against opponents top lines, the fact that Vandevelde hasn't been scratched as single time this year despite superior players being healthy scratched, playing the 4th line when down a goal with <2min left in the game, the selective "accountability", and a handful of other things that you'll pretend are acceptable, but very obviously aren't.

But yeah, the only problem this year is the goalies. Hakstol has been perfect. :laugh:

What can I say?
I'm a strong believer in evidence based policy.

Your posts contradict that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad