Fire Hakstol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
That stale PP hit the post last night and had other good chances against the league's 5th best PK.

Our PK is also up to 12th in the league now, but I'm sure you'll find some excuse for why the coach deserves no credit for that.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
That stale PP hit the post last night and had other good chances against the league's 5th best PK.

Our PK is also up to 12th in the league now, but I'm sure you'll find some excuse for why the coach deserves no credit for that.

It's also worth noting that flyers have second most 5on4 goals scored in the league, while besting only Colorado and New Jersey 5on5.
Plus our shot rates on pp and pk are top5.

Last edited:

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Honestly, is Hakstok much worse than Babcock, Julien or Quenneville?

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
I think he probably is. I don't know that he has the mentality for the pro game.
None of us will really know for sure, not yet anyway.

Those three coaches get similar criticism. It's probably more important to have good players. Most teams don't get an advantage from coaching

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Maybe it was just the broadcast, but that Ghost shot that hit the post was one of the loudest posts I can remember. Must have hit directly in the center too because it bounced back right in the middle of the ice.

Ghost has been playing really well lately but that's our luck right now. Post but no goal.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Those three coaches get similar criticism. It's probably more important to have good players. Most teams don't get an advantage from coaching

Yeah, of course the players are more important. I don't think we will know what we have in Hakstok until we play games that really matter, and I don't know if he will last long enough to be here when the players who matter (i.e. the high-end prospects) are playing in games that matter. He's a baffling character. We have bad players playing inconsistently, and you don't know how much to castigate him for not making them better, since they are inherently poor; then we have good players who all seem to be in a funk, and he doesn't do enough IMO to change things to help them out; and he just never benches his son, the worst forward in the NHL. I just don't know. Without knowing particulars, I am 100% sure that Quenneville is fantastic - you can't have teams succeeding the way they have, and avoiding complacency the way they have, without solid coaching. I couldn't tell you what he does in particular to make it so, but it is so, and that is great leadership (while admitting that he is leading very good players).

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

This is what I keep saying and is the reason I haven't been on the fire Hakstol train...

Every single coach enrages the fanbase the same way, so getting rid of this idiot and getting a new idiot is unlikely to change anything. In my eyes, it's likely to just be a lateral move that just changes who we direct our rage at.

I've argued with people about this before, but I see coaches as an obstacle, not an asset... it just depends on how much of a negative impact they have. If the team is playing well then that's probably thanks to the players, a coach can't control them so execution is up to them. Even if the system is good, it's nothing if the players don't perform. But a coach can certainly have a negative impact, either by having a poor system, bad bench management, and/or bad lineup choices. So, the way I see it, the best case scenario is the coach has no negative impact on the team.

For the Flyers, I see it as a mix, both the coach and the players are responsible for this mess. We have some truly awful players and we also have some good players that are under-performing... but the coach is maximizing the impact of the bad players and doing nothing at all to help the good guys break out of slumps (if anything his decisions are prolonging them).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The real key isn't the coach but whether the GM and Coach are on the same page, Lav and Holmgren certainly weren't, Berube and Holmgren might have been, but it was the wrong page.

Hextall and Hakstol seem to be in agreement about what they'd would LIKE to do, and Hextall has tacitly acknowledged that he hasn't given Hakstol the right players. But he's drafting players that would be better fits for what Hakstol would like to do.

I don't think we're going to know if Hakstol can coach until 2018-19, when he finally has enough horses and the right horses to run his scheme. I suspect when he has Sanheim and Myers bringing up the puck (along with Provorov and Ghost) his scheme will look a lot more dangerous - MacDonald tries but when he attacks, well, close your eyes!

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

You would find a way to defend the PP after an 0-6 performance. Even a 1-5 performance gets us 2 points last night instead of 1.

The PK hovered around 20th for the first 2/3 of the season, when the games actually mattered and we had realistic playoff hopes.

But i'm sure you'll find a way to spin that as something positive for Hakstol and Co..

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This is what I keep saying and is the reason I haven't been on the fire Hakstol train...

Every single coach enrages the fanbase the same way, so getting rid of this idiot and getting a new idiot is unlikely to change anything. In my eyes, it's likely to just be a lateral move that just changes who we direct our rage at.

I've argued with people about this before, but I see coaches as an obstacle, not an asset... it just depends on how much of a negative impact they have. If the team is playing well then that's probably thanks to the players, a coach can't control them so execution is up to them. Even if the system is good, it's nothing if the players don't perform. But a coach can certainly have a negative impact, either by having a poor system, bad bench management, and/or bad lineup choices. So, the way I see it, the best case scenario is the coach has no negative impact on the team.

For the Flyers, I see it as a mix, both the coach and the players are responsible for this mess. We have some truly awful players and we also have some good players that are under-performing... but the coach is maximizing the impact of the bad players and doing nothing at all to help the good guys break out of slumps (if anything his decisions are prolonging them).

This is exactly it.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
You would find a way to defend the PP after an 0-6 performance. Even a 1-5 performance gets us 2 points last night instead of 1.

The PK hovered around 20th for the first 2/3 of the season, when the games actually mattered and we had realistic playoff hopes.

But i'm sure you'll find a way to spin that as something positive for Hakstol and Co..
Players failed again. Chances were there and if V had a shot. Matt Carle the second.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I mean... If Hextall actually wanted to compete this season, he could've had a more active job of putting together a passable bottom six and defense.

He improved upon the same group of forwards that made the playoffs last year. I don't think Hextall thought they would take a step backwards this season.

Of course, he did not anticipate the defense and goaltending taking steps backwards though.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
G's stat line in his last 32 games:

3 goals, 12 assists, -19

Only 4 even strength points (tied for 9th on team with AMac and Read).

Unfathomably horrible. How on Earth can this team possibly be expected to make the playoffs when its best player plays like that over the last 32 games?

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
He improved upon the same group of forwards that made the playoffs last year. I don't think Hextall thought they would take a step backwards this season.

Of course, he did not anticipate the defense and goaltending taking steps backwards though.

Pretty sure he did, at least about the D, based on his comments about Gostisbehere. The team is young and he wasn't ready to move assets for marked improvements. That's fine. The biggest issues heading into the season were lack of 3C, 4C, and top 4 D. Didn't do much to address those holes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad