Fire Hakstol

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
Look, I like the guy's system and his demeanor is respectable... but his lineup decisions are mind boggling. This is capped off, of course by the ghost scratch but this has been a long time coming. The insistence on playing a player only because he played for him in college. Sitting players who have played well and clearly deserve to play (lyubimov). Scratching raffl for no particular reason. I realize that I, nor anyone else here, is with the team day in and day out... but I believe we have reached the point that these choices have become indefensible.

This is not just the scratches but putting some of their worst players on the ice with less than a minute in the game in a tight game, playing players out of position (cousins on the wing), and just generally not putting the team in a good position to win. This team has the talent to easily be in the playoffs if not win a round or so.

I absolutely believe there are better alternatives to him out there that can make an immediate difference.

SportsPhan8

Nov 24, 2013
New Jersey
I actually love the Ghost scratch. It makes him appreciate being in the lineup, and he's, what, a -4 this year. He needed a quick break to rejuvenate him. As for Hakstol, making the transition from college hockey to the NHL, with no prior coaching experience is a tough transition. I think we should be more patient and give him more time. One year and 15-20 odd games isn't enough IMO.

To me, he's certainly better than a lot of the coaches we had in the '90s that only lasted a year or two.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
As long as it's only one game. I don't have a problem with a coach sending a message that a young player needs to be held accountable. You and I and everyone else has no idea what the benching is about or what he is being held accountable for.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Curious where you're getting this from curufinwe. I've seen hexy support his coach as he should do, but I haven't seen anything indicating that he's married to him...

He went out and got him from college, gave him a five year contract, and has never said anything against him publicly that I'm aware of. It's not like when he inherited Berube from Holmgren.

Until Hextall starts dropping the "this team is too good to miss the playoffs" stuff like he did with Berube, I think it's fair to say he's committed to the first head coach he hired.

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
He went out and got him from college, gave him a five year contract, and has never said anything against him publicly that I'm aware of. It's not like when he inherited Berube from Holmgren.

Until Hextall starts dropping the "this team is too good to miss the playoffs" stuff like he did with Berube, I think it's fair to say he's committed to the first head coach he hired.

All this is correct and he undoubtedly committed to him. Having said that, I haven't seen anything that indicates that they're "thick as thieves." My hunch is he'll stick with him through some tough times but he also won't go down with him if he sees the team underachieving. I could be wrong though...

FYI the fact that I'm advocating him being fired doesn't mean I actually think Hexy will do it.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I strongly disagree with scratching Ghost, but firing Hakstol is an overreaction.

Dakota402

Jul 12, 2011
Philadelphia
Hextall needs to sit him down and show him how to properly use his personnel. It's absurd that a professional coach needs to be taught how to use players, but he's absolutely clueless making line ups and just general in game player usage. Hak has a great even strength system and the team shows good effort almost every night under him. But he can't keep costing us games playing mediocre players over talented players, especially in key situations where it's obvious other players should be out there. I wanted to punch my self in the face watching bellemare trot out during OT tuesday for 2 shifts when konecny can't even get a shift. I think you give him the rest of this year to figure it out. If he's still making these decisions come the end of the season, maybe you look into making a change during the offseason. I highly doubt they'd consider doing anything mid season though.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I actually love the Ghost scratch. It makes him appreciate being in the lineup, and he's, what, a -4 this year. He needed a quick break to rejuvenate him. As for Hakstol, making the transition from college hockey to the NHL, with no prior coaching experience is a tough transition. I think we should be more patient and give him more time. One year and 15-20 odd games isn't enough IMO.

To me, he's certainly better than a lot of the coaches we had in the '90s that only lasted a year or two.

Eh, the plus/minus thing isnt the best to use. Most of the team is a -.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

:laugh:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Perhaps, but to be clear, this was the final straw for me, not a reaction to this isolated incident.

I don't understand or defend everything Hakstol does. For example, I hate his minimal use of Konecny 3 on 3, and I disagree with scratching Raffl and Ghost. But be careful what you wish for. Every coach gives too much deference to veterans and penalty killers. Overall, I still think Hakstol does a pretty good job and I'm not ready to kick him to the curb a month into his second season, after he was at the helm of a surprise playoff appearance his first year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You don't think Hakstol and Hextall don't talk on a regular basis?

You don't think Hakstol explains his personnel decisions to Hextall, they're in this rebuild together, and I'm sure many decisions are a balance between winning now and developing young players (but not putting them into situations where they could fail and lose confidence).

Problem with fans is you don't know what's going on behind the scenes, how often do you find out something a year later that would have made you look differently at personnel decisions?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You don't think Hakstol and Hextall don't talk on a regular basis?

You don't think Hakstol explains his personnel decisions to Hextall, they're in this rebuild together, and I'm sure many decisions are a balance between winning now and developing young players (but not putting them into situations where they could fail and lose confidence).

Problem with fans is you don't know what's going on behind the scenes, how often do you find out something a year later that would have made you look differently at personnel decisions?

That's a fair point, and plenty of us would now admit that Hakstol was on to something we didn't see with Manning when he was very poor for most of last season.

But there's nothing we're missing with VandeVelde. He's not an everyday NHL player and he's not getting any better at age 29.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
100% support this thread. It's clear they made the playoffs in spite of the coach last year and this year they cant overcome his constanf dumbass line up decisions. Give him the axe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad